• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

I didn't bring him up, your boy did with his "Yada yada yada blame the coach agenda even though it's obvious to everybody that Gallant is a shit coach yada yada yada" shit posting. 

Edited by Pete

I'm still wondering where Coach Q is gonna land.  I don't blame Laviolette for playing Trouba;  Fox was hurt, Lindgren is ALWAYS hurt, and after that we had 2 virtual "rookies" carrying the load back there.

Lavvy HAD to play him...it's all we had.

Quick question though....do we still have Harpur and Mackey for this season (no cap friendly)?  I know Harpur was hurt all year, but I liked Mackey when he came up....he seemed serviceable.

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

I'm still wondering where Coach Q is gonna land.  I don't blame Laviolette for playing Trouba;  Fox was hurt, Lindgren is ALWAYS hurt, and after that we had 2 virtual "rookies" carrying the load back there.

Lavvy HAD to play him...it's all we had.

Quick question though....do we still have Harpur and Mackey for this season (no cap friendly)?  I know Harpur was hurt all year, but I liked Mackey when he came up....he seemed serviceable.

Harpur and Mackey are both still on the team.  There's another defenseman who played late in the season with Hartford that they are high on too, but I can't remember his name.  He won't be ready until the following season more than likely though.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Harpur and Mackey are both still on the team.  There's another defenseman who played late in the season with Hartford that they are high on too, but I can't remember his name.  He won't be ready until the following season more than likely though.

Mancini. 

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

I didn't bring him up, your boy did with his "Yada yada yada blame the coach agenda even though it's obvious to everybody that Gallant is a shit coach yada yada yada" shit posting. 

What? You brought up GG. We were blaming Lavi for playing Trouba as much as he did. Just because we want to criticize Lavi, doesnt mean we’re somehow praising GG. 
Are You Insane GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Applause 1

12 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

What? You brought up GG. We were blaming Lavi for playing Trouba as much as he did. Just because we want to criticize Lavi, doesnt mean we’re somehow praising GG. 
Are You Insane GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

This is the first post referencing GG, even if his name wasn't used, and we all know it.

Classic weak attempt at a jab/shitpost.

Edited by Pete

Anybody who think GG was a bad coach doesn't understand how winning in the NHL works.

He wasn't the right coach for this crew, as Lavi may not be, but the Rangers were suddenly a top 4 team under him and that does not happen by accident.

13 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Anybody who think GG was a bad coach doesn't understand how winning in the NHL works.

He wasn't the right coach for this crew, as Lavi may not be, but the Rangers were suddenly a top 4 team under him and that does not happen by accident.

Winning is like 90% players, 10% coaching. The 10% makes a difference, and you still need the right fit, but apparently no coach can even get quality 5v5 play out of this group. It’s like I’ve been saying earlier this summer, if a team is telling you who they are, believe them.

• Bullseye 1

10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Winning is like 90% players, 10% coaching. The 10% makes a difference, and you still need the right fit, but apparently no coach can even get quality 5v5 play out of this group. It’s like I’ve been saying earlier this summer, if a team is telling you who they are, believe them.

Laf took a big step forward at 5v5 last year.  Cuylle has some skills that translate although he still doesn't shoot enough.  Tro manages 5v5 well.

I think the Rangers need one very good 5v5 player added to make the transition to a good 5v5 team.

54 minutes ago, Br4d said:

What a ridiculous comment.

This guy's resume speaks for itself, he comes in and there's an immediate infusion of success followed by each year being worse than the one before it until he's fired before his third season ends.

It happened to him three times. You think that's an accident?

And then you have the players coming out and literally saying that the practices were not organized into anything meaningful and that he didn't even talk to them except barely on game days. So what exactly was he doing? "The players need to figure it out". That's excellent coaching!

Maybe you should tell the GMs that fired him that they don't know what winning is. Pretty sure Kelly McCrimmon is on that list and he has a Stanley Cup now ... But yeah... 

How many positions were open since he got let go? How many has he interviewed for? Nuff said. 

Edited by Pete

While I wouldn't completely discredit GG for absolutely anything, he can thank Igor Shesterkin for those deep playoff runs. And, even with Igor playing out of his mind, they still almost lost to a third string goalie in the first round, and may have, if Crosby didn't get hurt.

25 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

While I wouldn't completely discredit GG for absolutely anything, he can thank Igor Shesterkin for those deep playoff runs. And, even with Igor playing out of his mind, they still almost lost to a third string goalie in the first round, and may have, if Crosby didn't get hurt.

Just not enough coaching done by him. Effective initially. But that act dies quickly. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Just now, RangersIn7 said:

Just not enough coaching done by him. Effective initially. But that act dies quickly. 

Hands off vet coach and a vet entitled locker room.  What could go wrong the second time around when the vets all know what they have to do to maintain position?

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

Hands off vet coach and a vet entitled locker room.  What could go wrong the second time around when the vets all know what they have to do to maintain position?

Yeah… I don’t really agree with the “vet entitled” narrative. 
Gallant was a player, a pretty good one too, and a player’s coach who stuck with his guys. But the deeper you go in the playoffs, the better teams you play, the better the guy behind the other bench is typically and the more you as a coach need to do. 
Hes not that coach. 

As for now, I don’t see Lavy as a guy who really would stand for that at all, if that’s what you mean by second time around.

Maybe stuck with some things longer than he should have, (Ck/Zib) but in most instances those things were his best option and its hard to bitch or tinker with things when you’re winning a lot.

• Bullseye 1

5 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah… I don’t really agree with the “vet entitled” narrative. 
Gallant was a player, a pretty good one too, and a player’s coach who stuck with his guys. But the deeper you go in the playoffs, the better teams you play, the better the guy behind the other bench is typically and the more you as a coach need to do. 
Hes not that coach. 

As for now, I don’t see Lavy as a guy who really would stand for that at all, if that’s what you mean by second time around.

Maybe stuck with some things longer than he should have, (Ck/Zib) but in most instances those things were his best option and its hard to bitch or tinker with things when you’re winning a lot.

Gallant coaches in a style that he is used to because that's the way he was coached, and he liked it, so that's what he does because he thinks players like it. And to a point, they do initially, but today's game is highly systematic and players are used to actually being coached and not a rah-rah guy behind the bench just calling for line changes. Today's game requires much more planning and Gallant doesn't have a plan. He simply doesn't understand today's game, and today's players, and it shows. "Go out and play" isn't coaching. 

The entitled vet narrative is just fiction from frustrated fans. Those are the same people that called for disruption in the locker room, and this summer we had disruption, and what was the result? The players are unhappy and always looking over their shoulder, free agents seemingly decided to stay away, and therefore big improvements were impossible. And now the same people are complaining that Drury didn't do enough. 

Well, this is what disruption looks like. If anybody thinks athletes play better when they think there's a target on their back, well those people probably never played anything competitively outside of pickleball at the local park. 

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

Gallant coaches in a style that he is used to because that's the way he was coached, and he liked it, so that's what he does because he thinks players like it. And to a point, they do initially, but today's game is highly systematic and players are used to actually being coached and not a rah-rah guy behind the bench just calling for line changes. Today's game requires much more planning and Gallant doesn't have a plan. He simply doesn't understand today's game, and today's players, and it shows. "Go out and play" isn't coaching. 

The entitled vet narrative is just fiction from frustrated fans. Those are the same people that called for disruption in the locker room, and this summer we had disruption, and what was the result? The players are unhappy and always looking over their shoulder, free agents seemingly decided to stay away, and therefore big improvements were impossible. And now the same people are complaining that Drury didn't do enough. 

Well, this is what disruption looks like. If anybody thinks athletes play better when they think there's a target on their back, well those people probably never played anything competitively outside of pickleball at the local park. 

They have a winning culture at this point. Under 2 coaches. 150+ wins and 2 deep playoff runs plus a Division title and a Presidents Trophy over 3 seasons.

Now fans can piss on that all they want cause it’s not a Stanley Cup, and maybe they’re right.

But you don’t develop that and have that if you have a locker room full of vets just collecting checks and protecting their spots. 

35 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

As was proven by his previous stops, so I wasn't too surprised.

Yeah. It wasn’t a surprise at all.

Thats been the basically unbreakable pattern he’s had everywhere he’s been.

I will still say though that at the time of his hiring, coming off of Quinn, GG was the right hire at the time. It’s just that his time never stays his time. 

3 hours ago, Flynn said:

Its been the shortest, longest summer I can remember.  It was mid June about 10 minutes ago, but every time I look at Rangers related content, June seems 3 years ago. 

This I feel like I’ve barely done anything summer-y at all this year 

• Bullseye 1