• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2024 Off-season Thread: Burn in Effigy

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

Yep. I’m not trying to sound shallow or like a terrible person here. But it’s a discussion that needs to at least be had, I’m sure, within the organization. So I think it’s safe if we discuss it too.

It's a fair discussion. His health is a major concern. He was looking pretty good under Laviolette, albeit a small sample size and one concussion ago. Unless something bad happens prior, he's going to be here opening night next season.

5 hours ago, Pete said:

Now it went from being just the panther series to Carolina, too? Come on man. 

You think we were the better team in either series? We were absolutely dominated in Florida. 

New York played better in game 1 against Carolina. They were lucky to escape with OT wins in Game 2 and Game 3. 

No one should be surprised with how this season ended. Disappointed sure. But this was a mediocre 5 on 5 team who relied on special teams and goaltending. Igor did his part. The power play struggled. The penalty kill wasn’t great. The only surprise is that this lasted more than 4 games based on the eye test. 

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It is a disappointment, but not one that needs to be blown up, only improved. Again, the contracts of these guys makes a true blow up impossible so it's a moot point anyway. They're also not going to blow it up when they have an elite goalie and in win now mode. They need more depth, size and to become a more playoff friendly team in a realistic manner.

Define blown up.

I don’t think it needs to be blown up. But there definitely needs to be a shake up to the room and to the core. You can’t run this back in it’s totality. They have now had 3 kicks at the can and have shown, for one reason or another, to not have it all put together to win a Cup. And that’s coming on the heels of each of those years there being questions about the mental makeup of the group.

And all this run proved is that there are way more passengers in that room than drivers. And you’re not going to win that way, especially when the passengers are your star players.

So no, I don’t think you blow it up. But you definitely need to see someone in this core possibly be shown the door here to shake up a room that is very comfortable and shouldn’t be because they need more drivers inside of it.

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Define blown up.

I don’t think it needs to be blown up. But there definitely needs to be a shake up to the room and to the core. You can’t run this back in it’s totality. They have now had 3 kicks at the can and have shown, for one reason or another, to not have it all put together to win a Cup. And that’s coming on the heels of each of those years there being questions about the mental makeup of the group.

And all this run proved is that there are way more passengers in that room than drivers. And you’re not going to win that way, especially when the passengers are your star players.

So no, I don’t think you blow it up. But you definitely need to see someone in this core possibly be shown the door here to shake up a room that is very comfortable and shouldn’t be because they need more drivers inside of it.

Well you said after the game to blow it up. lol That won't happen, nor should it. Again, the only realistic core member that can be moved is Trouba, the team's captain, no less. Could send a pretty big message if that actually went down. Outside of that, just do what they can to improve their depth and size, and they'll be in pretty good shape for next season.

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Well you said after the game to blow it up. lol That won't happen, nor should it. Again, the only realistic core member that can be moved is Trouba, the team's captain, no less. Could send a pretty big message if that actually went down. Outside of that, just do what they can to improve their depth and size, and they'll be in pretty good shape for next season.

I mean, after the game I was hot. Lol.

I calmed down, but my opinion still stands. Trouba for sure cannot be on this team. To me, that is the primary objective. He can’t be here, can’t play this system, can’t do anything. That salary needs to be gone.

So yes, I think he’s the most likely.

But, I really do think a discussion is going to be had about Mika too. I think the organization is extremely disappointed in him, as they should be. He did nothing against Jersey last year. And this year, his regular season was underwhelming, his playoffs were underwhelming and his 5v5 numbers were horrid.

I think he and Trouba are the 2 guys that questions will need to be answered.

• Keeps it 100 1

6 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I mean, after the game I was hot. Lol.

I calmed down, but my opinion still stands. Trouba for sure cannot be on this team. To me, that is the primary objective. He can’t be here, can’t play this system, can’t do anything. That salary needs to be gone.

So yes, I think he’s the most likely.

But, I really do think a discussion is going to be had about Mika too. I think the organization is extremely disappointed in him, as they should be. He did nothing against Jersey last year. And this year, his regular season was underwhelming, his playoffs were underwhelming and his 5v5 numbers were horrid.

I think he and Trouba are the 2 guys that questions will need to be answered.

Understandable about Mika, but I think moving him is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible. Six more years left with that AAV, with possibly numbers declining even more? Good luck.

2 minutes ago, siddious said:

and I think Drury is capable of doing yhe right things. I think the contracts just make it impossible. 

Indeed. He had an awful trade deadline, but is still capable of putting a team together. He knows what it takes and isn't completely stupid.

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I definitely think Zibanejad is tradeable. I’m not saying he will or won’t be dealt. Obviously he has a NMC. But I definitely do think that he would have a market.

A pretty small market, but perhaps they can do something. The Kreider and Zibanejad bromance can be both a blessing and a curse, I think they probably know that. That, on top of another majorly disappointing postseason, could spark something. I don't know. I still think it's kind of a long shot, but we'll see.

It’s odd to me for anyone to hold the opinion that they don’t have to blow something up, and simultaneously say our 1st line center making 8.5 million is too bad a contract to move anyway.

Let me tell you something. You aren’t winning anything without a legitimate 1C.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

It’s odd to me for anyone to hold the opinion that they don’t have to blow something up, and simultaneously say our 1st line center making 8.5 million is too bad a contract to move anyway.

It is a pretty difficult contract to move, though. Not impossible, but a pretty low probability. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I'm confused too, points at a 3 year low. Didn't pass the eye test for the entire season/playoffs.  He's not very good (the theme here for the majority), 6 more years at 8.5M, we don't want him. Full NMC.

But there's a market for him. Sounds like a piece of cake. Throw in getting something that's more valuable to us.

Alrighty.

Edited by Scott

3 minutes ago, ausman said:

So, in a nod to symmetry ( or is that non-symmetry ) the northernmost team in the NHL will play the southernmost in the Stanley Cup finals.

The travel will be a bitch for both teams. lol

55 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Exactly ask Edmonton or Florida

49 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Well yeah, because he’s not a 1C. We don’t have one.

Yes, he is. He's just not a very good one anymore. They have a lower-end 1C and a high-end 2C who had a career year. I've no idea how to bridge that gap if the latter comes back to earth.

I’ll go ahead and say it: if you ever were to find a way to deal Zibanejad, would you offer Stamkos 2 years and $9 Million per to come in and replace him?

If we ever decided to go the route of dealing Mika, Stamkos is the only viable option to replace him that is for sure available. At least, for now.

Posted (edited)

One name I’d be interested in is Brendan Dillon. UFA to be. Big, physical defenseman. Playoff experience. Reading he is projected to get a short term deal around $3M AAV. He would be a good add for us on the blue line depending on what happens with other people there if we need to add more physicality. 

Edited by RichieNextel305