• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Keep the Core

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

1 minute ago, Pete said:

The reality is you have to assume anyone with a NMC will be here next season. The first priority should be getting Mika new wingers. He has to do too much work. Trocheck playing with 2 guys who can move the puck through the NZ and manufacture a zone entry is an absolute luxury that Mika hasn't had in years.

Right. In all likelihood, we're looking at like a 90% return rate and a repeat of the same search for 1RW and/or 3C.

Possible silver lining to this is if they do, they could have $5 million plus available to them at the deadline. Could maybe make the big move then, but it's gonna be hard to stomach watching nothing meaningful change between now and then.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

I have no idea, but I'm ready to 'Brassard' Zibanejad and roll the dice. Just run Trocheck out there and see if you can find someone to play 2C at a much cheaper price point who can maybe give you more. I have no idea how this works, mind you. I don't think anyone is taking Zib's deal. But stranger things have happened.

Yeah, I agree. Cross our fingers I guess.

8 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I doubt he moves, but Adam Fox doesn’t escape blame either. Injured or not. He’s another one who thinks the same game he plays in January translates into hockey in May or June and it just doesn’t.

Hopefully, that serves as a learning curve for him.  The coaches need to emphasize that point too.

5 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

Hopefully, that serves as a learning curve for him.  The coaches need to emphasize that point too.

He’s done this 3 straight playoff runs. I doubt it does. This year everyone is gonna parade whatever injury he has. But regardless, he stinks in the playoffs.

I doubt he’s the one who wears this on the chin, but I couldn’t care less if he was. I have little to no doubt he will come back and put up 70-80 points next year. But I also have similarly no doubt that come playoff time when the ice shrinks that he will once again suck in the playoffs next year too.

19 minutes ago, Phil said:

Right. In all likelihood, we're looking at like a 90% return rate and a repeat of the same search for 1RW and/or 3C.

Possible silver lining to this is if they do, they could have $5 million plus available to them at the deadline. Could maybe make the big move then, but it's gonna be hard to stomach watching nothing meaningful change between now and then.

If that's what they have to wind up doing because of trade protection, then I think it's important to realize that this team did win a president's trophy and this team was one shot away in every single game of the Eastern conference finals. 

If given a choice between just sitting back and watching next season unfold versus being miserable and complaining after every loss that they didn't blow everything up, or having another great regular season and just saying it doesn't matter until the playoffs, well I know what camp I'm going to be in. 

Again, this is supposed to be for entertainment and enjoyment, and I just don't see the purpose in engaging in anything that's going to make me miserable. So I choose to stay positive and let it play out.

5 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

He’s done this 3 straight playoff runs. I doubt it does. This year everyone is gonna parade whatever injury he has. But regardless, he stinks in the playoffs.

I doubt he’s the one who wears this on the chin, but I couldn’t care less if he was. I have little to no doubt he will come back and put up 70-80 points next year. But I also have similarly no doubt that come playoff time when the ice shrinks that he will once again suck in the playoffs next year too.

Give Fox one more year before his NMC clause kicks in.

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

If that's what they have to wind up doing because of trade protection, then I think it's important to realize that this team did win a president's trophy and this team was one shot away in every single game of the Eastern conference finals. 

If given a choice between just sitting back and watching next season unfold versus being miserable and complaining after every loss that they didn't blow everything up, or having another great regular season and just saying it doesn't matter until the playoffs, well I know what camp I'm going to be in. 

Again, this is supposed to be for entertainment and enjoyment, and I just don't see the purpose in engaging in anything that's going to make me miserable. So I choose to stay positive and let it play out.

I mean, yes, but what's the phrase you use with me all the time — reductive? This is reductive. It's mathematically accurate. But it fails to inspire in reality because we know how it plays out in reality. They were one shot away because their goalie saved 15+ expected goals, not because their roster is fourth and inches from a championship.

Realistically Kreider, Zibanejad, Panarin and Fox are with the Rangers next year no matter how much everyone bitches about it. 
Have to move what they can starting with Trouba.   Then they have to try to get rid of the useless garbage Kakko, Chytil, Brodzinski.  
Gustaffson, Roslovic, Wennberg, Wheeler are all goners.  
Might be time to explore trading Lindgren.  Problem is there aren’t any good UFA LD available.  

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, yes, but what's the phrase you use with me all the time — reductive? This is reductive. It's mathematically accurate. But it fails to inspire in reality because we know how it plays out in reality. They were one shot away because their goalie saved 15+ expected goals, not because their roster is fourth and inches from a championship.

We know how it played out this season. Next season it might play out differently. It might not. Depends who was hurt, who they remove, and who they add. 

It's like this every year, you know this...same roster ≠ same team.

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

We know how it played out this season. Next season it might play out differently. It might not. Depends who was hurt, who they remove, and who they add. 

It's like this every year, you know this...same roster ≠ same team.

Right. I agree. I just don't agree that I should be happy about it, or that I'm not justified in being upset or losing faith or whatever when the product I'm being asked to have faith in has let me down so spectacularly so many times in a row. Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit isn't a spirit-lifting mantra.

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Right. I agree. I just don't agree that I should be happy about it, or that I'm not justified in being upset or losing faith or whatever when the product I'm being asked to have faith in has let me down so spectacularly so many times in a row. Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit isn't a spirit-lifting mantra.

Anyone can feel how they want to. No judgement.

My point is IF they run it back, there are 2 choices. One is constant complaining (win or lose, mind you) and the other is taking what enjoyment you can from the regular season and see what happens in the playoffs.

58 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Drury inherited the Panarin and Trouba contracts though. That means he inherited the two biggest issues. He can try all he wants to trade Panarin, but if Panarin says no without any room for negotiation then Drury’s hands are tied there and it’s not his fault. That may very well be the case.

I blame Drury for last summer because I think it was a missed opportunity to start getting the ball rolling in the right direction, and he really did a number getting the narrative to pin all the issues on GG, but not enough that he should be fired for it. To some degree, I can buy that changing the coach was a step in the right direction to get where they got to go. It just wasn’t the only thing required to build a legitimate Cup contender. I appreciated Drury’s stinginess to not trade anything of significance at the deadline this year, but the motivation for why he didn’t is important. If it’s because he and Lavi didn’t think they needed anything, we’re in big trouble. If it’s because Drury saw this team for what it was, a paper tiger team that wasn’t worth an all-in investment, there’s hope for a positive offseason.

All I'm saying is that if Drury thinks this team is a cup contender as it is currently configured he is part of the problem.  This team will not win a cup as long as half the stars are afraid to play in the later rounds or somehow see their role as independent of putting the body on people all series long.

The reason the Panthers just beat us was that nobody on that team is afraid to take and give during the playoffs.

• Bullseye 2

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Anyone can feel how they want to. No judgement.

My point is IF they run it back, there are 2 choices. One is constant complaining (win or lose, mind you) and the other is taking what enjoyment you can from the regular season and see what happens in the playoffs.

Sure. It's a choice to actively complain, I agree. But it's also not entirely unjustified.

I totally get that it's exhausting. I'm with you there. But it's exhausting for a reason. Fans are sick and tired of this. You can't realistically expect everyone to just accept the status quo simply because trade protection exists.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

The first step, which should have been taken this season, would be two separate Mika and Kreider. 

They can still play together on the PP and PK.  The bromancers can still date, but they're going to see other people.

• LMFAO 2

50 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I doubt he moves, but Adam Fox doesn’t escape blame either. Injured or not. He’s another one who thinks the same game he plays in January translates into hockey in May or June and it just doesn’t.

Fox is good enough and young enough that there is a real chance the Rangers can teach him to play effective playoff hockey.  They need to give him a rugged, large LD to make that happen most likely.

The more I think about it the main problem is really the Ranger's culture at the moment.  The only way to change the culture is by changing the locker room and the only way to do that is to trade/let some people leave.

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Sure. It's a choice to actively complain, I agree. But it's also not entirely unjustified.

I totally get that it's exhausting. I'm with you there. But it's exhausting for a reason. Fans are sick and tired of this. You can't realistically expect everyone to just accept the status quo simply because trade protection exists.

I can expect that LOL.

Fans don't run the team.

Fans don't play in the games.

Fans have literally no control here. Unless they want to go boo like they did with Rozsival, and that was highly productive, right? Boo'd him right out of town and he went on to win a Cup.

It's not like I don't get being frustrated, I was frustrated last night. But everyone has a choice. Why anyone would choose to complain ad nauseum over things they can't control just doesn't make sense to me. If watching this team doesn't bring you any joy whatsoever, then why do it? Why say "Hey wifey, I'm going to spend 2.5 hours watching this group of losers who I despise and then another hour shitting on them on the internet and posting memes of how bad they are because I'm a REAL RANGERS FAN!"....makes no sense.

Lord I can't imagine what this would be like if the team actually missed the playoffs this year.

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’d sell my soul to get Jonathan Marchessault in here. Guy is a gamer. Shows up in big spots. Tough to play against. Has experience.

5 years too late.

• Keeps it 100 3

Maybe Fox is hurt but where did is Hockey IQ go? Thats what scared me. He just made so many stupid plays. Love CK20 but half the time it's seriously like where's the effort? He's one of the fastest/strongest guys yet gets beat on puck battles every time and that's when he decides if he wants to make the effort to go into that battle. Yeah he digs in the trench's for those PP goals. Zib has been a #2/3 center for ever. We stuck him with #1 because there really wasn't anyone else. Barkov out played the hell out of him that series..... Bread to me the 3 live games I seen was plain holding the stick to tight and was skating scared. Not sure anyone of them get moved. The first goal you could see from a mile away Trouba was gonna fuck up 🙂 . Panthers were the better team period. Shesty was the only reason we played 6. Laf and Tro knew what it was all about. 

1 hour ago, knedragon said:

Maybe Fox is hurt but where did is Hockey IQ go? Thats what scared me. He just made so many stupid plays. Love CK20 but half the time it's seriously like where's the effort? He's one of the fastest/strongest guys yet gets beat on puck battles every time and that's when he decides if he wants to make the effort to go into that battle. Yeah he digs in the trench's for those PP goals. Zib has been a #2/3 center for ever. We stuck him with #1 because there really wasn't anyone else. Barkov out played the hell out of him that series..... Bread to me the 3 live games I seen was plain holding the stick to tight and was skating scared. Not sure anyone of them get moved. The first goal you could see from a mile away Trouba was gonna fuck up 🙂 . Panthers were the better team period. Shesty was the only reason we played 6. Laf and Tro knew what it was all about. 

Hurt excuse goes only so far. Every player still playing is banged up to some degree. Sure there are Panthers, Oilers, and Stars who are as hurt and worse. 

Think we got the idea in out heads that Fox was gonna be Leetch II and he simply doesn't have that extra gear, hurt or not. He's a very productive defenseman but he isn't taking over a game . 

The loss hurts for sure but the Cup is the hardest trophy in sports for a reason, because its a war a attrition and Florida's personnel were better suited for a war than the Rangers.  Every single player the Panthers dressed bought into the same mentality which was to grind the Rangers down from the drop of the puck in game 1 and never let up.  They all finished every check they could, every time they could, and they wore out our D every game so that by the middle of the 2nd period and the 3rd period, they couldn't keep up with the pace of the game. They did it every game.  If not for Igor's heroics, its a 4 game sweep.  Over the six games, the Panthers physically beat the hell out of the Rangers and it showed. Lindgren could hardly skate in game 6.  

On the other hand, our forwards for the most part did everything they could to avoid hitting Florida's D opting for stick checks and flybys whenever they could. Most of them don't have the willingness to play physical, they simply won't do it.  Cuylee will.  Trocheck will.  Laffy will.  Goodrow will, but who else will? Kredier could be a beast, but he simply chooses not to be. Mika won't.  Panarin won't. Kakko won't. Chytil CAN'T. Roslovic and Wennberg don't.  

It wasn't a fair fight from the get go from that perspective. So the Rangers only chances to win were they completely out skill Florida by a lot, which they can't do, or Igor plays lights out every game and steals 4 wins, which is almost impossible, even though he tried his damnest and stole 2. 

IMO, the core of this team is not tradable due to NMC's and such and they are not going to change how they play. If I were Drury, and I knew I had one more season with Shesty on a cheap contract, I would keep Panarin/Troch/Laffy together as 1st line, get a legit top 6 RW for Mika/Kreider line even if I had to overpay, and then build a 3th line/checking line around Cuylee/Goodrow and get a RW like Hataway that bangs bodies, and the a 4th line with Vesey or Edstrom on one wing, Rempe on the other wing and try to get a 4C like Dowd.  Get rid of Chytil and Kakko who are too soft to make any impact in the playoffs and roll those 4 lines. 2 scoring lines, a checking line, and a mean old 4th line.  Otherwise, it will just be the same thing next year. IMO anyway.