• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Core Has Run Its Course as Tough Jacob Trouba, Chris Kreider, Mika Zibanejad Decisions Loom

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

You said if he slides backwards towards 15/25 (for 40 points), which I interpreted as sliding back towards the bust conversation. I don't consider that a slight regression or a leveling off. Do you?

The only way he does this is if the Rangers put him on a line with Kakko and Kakko.  🙂

• LOL 1

16 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

You said if he slides backwards towards 15/25 (for 40 points), which I interpreted as sliding back towards the bust conversation. I don't consider that a slight regression or a leveling off. Do you?

Definition of regression: the act of going back to a previous place or state; return or reversion.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/regression

Based on the definition, yes going back to a 40 point season after putting 57 up this year would be considered a regression. It's not impossible, and when you see that he has not put up that production without Panarin on the off wing it is definitely in the realm of possibility.

6 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Definition of regression: the act of going back to a previous place or state; return or reversion.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/regression

Based on the definition, yes going back to a 40 point season after putting 57 up this year would be considered a regression. It's not impossible, and when you see that he has not put up that production without Panarin on the off wing it is definitely in the realm of possibility.

Neat. Do the definition of “slight” next 😉

I interpret going back to 15/25 as re-entering bust conversation. If you don’t, that’s fine, but that would be a full regression not a slight regression.

Waited a few days to make this comment.

But the problem with the team is who is willing to to take a hit to make a play, fight through a check to make a play & win a board battle? Trocheck and who else?

Team has all the talent it needs.  They need more battlers.

Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Chytil, Roslovic, etc aren't those players.

• Cheers 1
  • Applause 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

But the problem with the team is who is willing to to take a hit to make a play, fight through a check to make a play & win a board battle? Trocheck and who else?

Laff, Cuylle, Rempe, Goodrow

• Applause 1

5 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

This. Nothing other than that.

Need top 9 talent willing to take the hit to make the play. 

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Laff, Cuylle, Rempe, Goodrow

13 goals and 8 assists in third line minutes.

Why don't we put Cuylle-Zibanejad-? together and see what happens next year. RW is still a ghost on this line. Gotta make a trade to get a worthwhile RW.

12 hours ago, Rangers1994 said:

Like Brady Tkachuk?

I really can't see Ottawa trading Brady Tkachuk.  So we gut our entire ECF roster, that is still highly competitive, and which most likely makes the Stanley Cup Finals if we get a better draw, and bring in Brady, who is in my opinion, no where close to his brother.

I think we need to be tougher, but I don't think that's the avenue to go down right now.

As much as I would also like to see a few changes, I'm pretty sure a lot of us already know, since we have one more Igor year, and possibly the last season of Trouba, we're gonna run it back pretty much the way it is right now.

We have a tough cap situation and next season it looks like a shit storm is on the way with a lot more important players that are going to get paid.  ...and Igor asking anything less than $11 million would be a small miracle.

I'm up for one more year;  Bring back the President's trophy team for the regular season to get us to the playoffs.  Let's see what we can do at the TDL to add some tougher guys to get us through the playoffs, and hope that Dolan let's us trade some draft picks in order to make it happen, before we start selling off contracts to make others fit after next season.

That's what I see happenin' my good man. 

• Keeps it 100 1

12 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

13 goals and 8 assists in third line minutes.

Why don't we put Cuylle-Zibanejad-? together and see what happens next year. RW is still a ghost on this line. Gotta make a trade to get a worthwhile RW.

He also had 4 goals and 3 assists called back due to bullshit reviews during the season.  He's a rookie that played very responsibly, and he's one of those "tough" playoff players, J.

I really think this is the kid we need for the playoffs to get us through.  He's going to be a VERY important piece of this roster going forward.  His points to me are whatever they are.  Cuylle is one of thos "impact" players.  I'm really glad we have him!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

He also had 4 goals and 3 assists called back due to bullshit reviews during the season.  He's a rookie that played very responsibly, and he's one of those "tough" playoff players, J.

I really think this is the kid we need for the playoffs to get us through.  He's going to be a VERY important piece of this roster going forward.  His points to me are whatever they are.  Cuylle is one of thos "impact" players.  I'm really glad we have him!

If I remember correctly, he also led the team in hits and was ranked somewhere in the top 10 in the entire NHL......I think? I want more of that.

• Keeps it 100 2

Just now, RangerDanger said:

If I remember correctly, he also led the team in hits and was ranked somewhere in the top 10 in the entire NHL......I think? I want more of that.

Yup, forgot about hits, RD!  Good call!

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Cuylle could have an impact, but they have to play him.

It's a head scratcher that Chytil, Kakko and Roslovic were getting more time in the playoffs than him with little to no effect from them.  I can see playing the top 5 forwards over him, but nobody else did anything useful except Goodrow.   If you think you are losing physical battles why not play your more physical players more?  I understand Rempe because he's still so raw, but Cuylle was trusted and proved he could be trusted during the regular season.

• Like 2

Cuylle had 2 points in 16 playoff games. He had 3 points in his last 27 regular season games. That's 5 points in his last 43 games. He was ineffective for a team that was looking into all of the options they had to find someone who could add offense to the lineup.

He's just a kid. I like his future, but he wasn't ready yet to make a real impact as a secondary scoring threat.

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

Cuylle had 2 points in 16 playoff games. He had 3 points in his last 27 regular season games. That's 5 points in his last 43 games. He was ineffective for a team that was looking into all of the options they had to find someone who could add offense to the lineup.

He's just a kid. I like his future, but he wasn't ready yet to make a real impact as a secondary scoring threat.

I think though that he will.

And then there’s Othmann who may well be that top-6 player you’re looking for. 

We will see. 

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I really can't see Ottawa trading Brady Tkachuk.  So we gut our entire ECF roster, that is still highly competitive, and which most likely makes the Stanley Cup Finals if we get a better draw, and bring in Brady, who is in my opinion, no where close to his brother.

I think we need to be tougher, but I don't think that's the avenue to go down right now.

As much as I would also like to see a few changes, I'm pretty sure a lot of us already know, since we have one more Igor year, and possibly the last season of Trouba, we're gonna run it back pretty much the way it is right now.

We have a tough cap situation and next season it looks like a shit storm is on the way with a lot more important players that are going to get paid.  ...and Igor asking anything less than $11 million would be a small miracle.

I'm up for one more year;  Bring back the President's trophy team for the regular season to get us to the playoffs.  Let's see what we can do at the TDL to add some tougher guys to get us through the playoffs, and hope that Dolan let's us trade some draft picks in order to make it happen, before we start selling off contracts to make others fit after next season.

Disappointing playoff exit notwithstanding… they’ve kind of earned the right at another serious crack at it.

If a shakeup that makes you better comes… ok.

If they can add another piece of significance to the core without gutting the core… that’s ok too.

You can talk all you want about how it looked and the analytics and all of that… it’s blah blah blah.

They were close cause the final scores in these games said so.

Just get a little bit better.

They’re close.

Play just a bit harder.

Get a little bit better.

Be a little more tough to play against.

Thats the look you need. 

4 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I think though that he will.

And then there’s Othmann who may well be that top-6 player you’re looking for. 

We will see. 

Me too.

I think Othmann's season gave a little cause for concern. From what I've read, he really struggled at even strength. I think he just needs to cook some more. No question he has some of that grit and edge though.

• Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Me too.

I think Othmann's season gave a little cause for concern. From what I've read, he really struggled at even strength. I think he just needs to cook some more. No question he has some of that grit and edge though.

Yeah.

First full season in pro hockey.

Trying to learn to play the other wing.

Plus injuries to teammates and guys getting taxied up and down fucked with the continuity. 

But he’s a fine young player and prospect, with a very bright future ahead of him.

I think his ceiling is higher than he gets credit for. 
He has top-6 potential as opposed to the middle-6 we seem to hear.

And while Kakko may benefit from

a change of scenery… it’s going to fuck us.

It’ll be a Sam Bennett thing.

I think we both wanted him for a song 3 years ago and we both saw it and look what happened.

Edited by RangersIn7

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

There are rarely better draws available in the ECF.  The cream has risen by then and putting Bread, Zib and Fox out to be devoured by them is our current plan.

Need a new plan or the ECF is where seasons will go to die.

4 minutes ago, Br4d said:

There are rarely better draws available in the ECF.  The cream has risen by then and putting Bread, Zib and Fox out to be devoured by them is our current plan.

Need a new plan or the ECF is where seasons will go to die.

Getting the equivalent of a bye in the first round is also unlikely to be repeated. It’s rare for a team as bad as Washington to squeeze in. -37 goal diff and awful possession numbers. Last year’s 8 seed was Florida. Lol.

• Applause 2