• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Core Has Run Its Course as Tough Jacob Trouba, Chris Kreider, Mika Zibanejad Decisions Loom

32 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Our dilemma is that Kreider is the easy one to trade but we need to trade Bread and Zib to have a good chance to fix the problems.

That's OK. I was saying in the other thread it doesn't really matter who goes. If you come to the realization they aren't winning with what they have next season, no matter what minor changes can be made around the edges, then Panarin being here doesn't really matter. You don't need the cap space right away because it's going to take two years of changes anyway if they start now. Only trading Kreider? OK. Cashing any chips in is better than cashing no chips in.

49 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

That's OK. I was saying in the other thread it doesn't really matter who goes. If you come to the realization they aren't winning with what they have next season, no matter what minor changes can be made around the edges, then Panarin being here doesn't really matter. You don't need the cap space right away because it's going to take two years of changes anyway if they start now. Only trading Kreider? OK. Cashing any chips in is better than cashing no chips in.

Once you start shipping away the team is going to need Panarin anyway, to make playoffs.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Once you start shipping away the team is going to need Panarin anyway, to make playoffs.

Not if you wisely replace as you trade. It’s about getting younger, not breaking it all down for futures and prospects 3 years away.

25 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Not if you wisely replace as you trade. It’s about getting younger, not breaking it all down for futures and prospects 3 years away.

40 goal scorers don't grow on trees, so I'm going to go out on a limit and say it's going to be hard to replace Kreider production. 

Losing Trouba probably means 10 less goals against per season, so maybe that's 10 less goals you need 🤣 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

40 goal scorers don't grow on trees, so I'm going to go out on a limit and say it's going to be hard to replace Kreider production. 

Losing Trouba probably means 10 less goals against per season, so maybe that's 10 less goals you need 🤣 

...and countless penalty minutes missing  😃

4 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

i came to the conclusion after coming down from the disappointment of seeing ice capades , that they have to run it back with what they have now, plus an addition here and there.  Probably even with Trouba.  Any kind of a major roster turnover will mean the team will not be seriously competing for another 5 or so years. Our best chance is now and who knows, all the other top teams may shit the bed next season or the rangers be healthy.    

4 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

i came to the conclusion after coming down from the disappointment of seeing ice capades , that they have to run it back with what they have now, plus an addition here and there.  Probably even with Trouba.  Any kind of a major roster turnover will mean the team will not be seriously competing for another 5 or so years. Our best chance is now and who knows, all the other top teams may shit the bed next season or the rangers be healthy.    

No way jose. That's what will happen by not liquidating some pieces. I'd be looking to expedite when that 2nd window occurs, and strengthen it so it's stronger than the one we just experienced.

But I am sure Drury sees it your way in general.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

No way jose. That's what will happen by not liquidating some pieces. I'd be looking to expedite when that 2nd window occurs, and strengthen it so it's stronger than the one we just experienced.

But I am sure Drury sees it your way in general.

The second window wont occur for at least another 5 years or so, that's my point.  That's what happened during the Lundqvist years.  You start trading the core now, might as well send out another letter.  

1 minute ago, Albatrosss said:

The second window wont occur for at least another 5 years or so, that's my point.  That's what happened during the Lundqvist years.  You start trading the core now, might as well send out another letter.  

Why? It’s not the same. That team had nobody close to Lafreniere and Fox when they traded older core pieces, and they traded for mostly futures and prospects because of it.

The target would be established younger players this time, and you never know, could make them better than what they are in the short term too, by bringing a different look and some energy.

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

We have a tough cap situation and next season it looks like a shit storm is on the way with a lot more important players that are going to get paid.  ...and Igor asking anything less than $11 million would be a small miracle.

I'm up for one more year;  Bring back the President's trophy team for the regular season to get us to the playoffs.  Let's see what we can do at the TDL to add some tougher guys to get us through the playoffs, and hope that Dolan let's us trade some draft picks in order to make it happen, before we start selling off contracts to make others fit after next season.

But @Ozzy if they get to the TDL and Igor doesn't have a deal it would be insane for them to play it out and let him walk for nothing. He would have to go, no? I'll go crazy here and say that would harpoon any cup aspirations. Again.

I think that cap shitstorm starts this upcoming season and specifically around getting to the TDL without having Igor signed.

Washington and Pittsburgh were passed their window too.

I believe Pittsburgh won 2 Cups and Washington won 1 too I believe. 

Point is… if you have a good team… anything can happen.

It just takes the right things in place at the right time and sone fortuitous circumstances.

No one wins without those things.

They have most of what they need.

On the right day, they have all of it.

This was never gonna be easy.

Getting beaten by Florida is actually what they needed. 

4 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Washington and Pittsburgh were passed their window too.

I believe Pittsburgh won 2 Cups and Washington won 1 too I believe. 

Point is… if you have a good team… anything can happen.

It just takes the right things in place at the right time and sone fortuitous circumstances.

No one wins without those things.

They have most of what they need.

On the right day, they have all of it.

This was never gonna be easy.

Getting beaten by Florida is actually what they needed. 

They needed to beat Florida. 

• LOL 1

20 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I really can't see Ottawa trading Brady Tkachuk.  So we gut our entire ECF roster, that is still highly competitive, and which most likely makes the Stanley Cup Finals if we get a better draw, and bring in Brady, who is in my opinion, no where close to his brother.

I think we need to be tougher, but I don't think that's the avenue to go down right now.

As much as I would also like to see a few changes, I'm pretty sure a lot of us already know, since we have one more Igor year, and possibly the last season of Trouba, we're gonna run it back pretty much the way it is right now.

We have a tough cap situation and next season it looks like a shit storm is on the way with a lot more important players that are going to get paid.  ...and Igor asking anything less than $11 million would be a small miracle.

I'm up for one more year;  Bring back the President's trophy team for the regular season to get us to the playoffs.  Let's see what we can do at the TDL to add some tougher guys to get us through the playoffs, and hope that Dolan let's us trade some draft picks in order to make it happen, before we start selling off contracts to make others fit after next season.

That's what I see happenin' my good man. 

1) The Rangers should offer Shesterkin $9M per year maximum.

2) Any chance that they could add a key UFA, say..... Stamkos?

3) I agree.  Give the core one more season together.

1 hour ago, Rangers1994 said:

1) The Rangers should offer Shesterkin $9M per year maximum.

2) Any chance that they could add a key UFA, say..... Stamkos?

3) I agree.  Give the core one more season together.

I keep Shesty at any number 10 and under

13 hours ago, Scott said:

But @Ozzy if they get to the TDL and Igor doesn't have a deal it would be insane for them to play it out and let him walk for nothing. He would have to go, no? I'll go crazy here and say that would harpoon any cup aspirations. Again.

I think that cap shitstorm starts this upcoming season and specifically around getting to the TDL without having Igor signed.

Shesterkin is going to be the first obstacle, Scott...No doubt.  Either he's going to have to be traded during next season, maybe the deadline, or let go for nothing if we use him for a run.

I just don't see how he asks for less than $10-$11 million, and I really don't think there's enough room at the inn to keep him.  Believe me, the last thing I wanna see is Igor going over the wall to another team, but I just don't see how we're keeping Laffy, Lindgren, Schneider, Cuylle, and K' Andre if we sign him for that much.  Someone with a big tag has to go, and it's not going to be Zibby or Panarin.

Maybe Drury can pull off a miracle where they get some team to take Trouba, but that requires a lot of dancing with sweeteners, and an agreed NMC team not on his no trade list.  I'm curious to see how it plays out, but I'm not getting my heart set on Igor sticking around.  Unfortuanately I think he's priced himself out here.  I hope I'm wrong!

Lindgren should not be in the conversation when we talk about keeping necessary players.

He's a small dude to be carrying the weight he is next to Fox.

Lindgren is a 26 year old SOLID, reliable defenseman who is arguably the TOUGHEST player in the NHL.  He plays a mean game, and is tough to play against....not to mention an absolute warrior.

He best be in any conversation that includes being a playoff team.

I stop well short of including Lindgren in a core of anything, but definitely want him back. There’s so much Lindgren dumping going on in Rangers town. I get that he didn’t have a great year this year but it’s an overreaction. He’s 26. It’s ok. If he’s on your 2nd or 3rd pairing for the next 4-5 years you’re doing something right IMO

11 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I stop well short of including Lindgren in a core of anything, but definitely want him back. There’s so much Lindgren dumping going on in Rangers town. I get that he didn’t have a great year this year but it’s an overreaction. He’s 26. It’s ok. If he’s on your 2nd or 3rd pairing for the next 4-5 years you’re doing something right IMO

He may not be "Jeter, Bernie, Mo, or Posada"....but you need Paul O'Neil in there someplace!!!  LOL

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Agree however I don't want any part of him past 30. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Lindren is tough but he’s small and is a favorite for the opposition to get hammered cause he’s unable to avoid getting hit. 

He can't be with Fox anymore. Too small of a pairing.

I think he'd be a great fit with Schneider.

• Keeps it 100 1