• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Core Has Run Its Course as Tough Jacob Trouba, Chris Kreider, Mika Zibanejad Decisions Loom

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I stop well short of including Lindgren in a core of anything, but definitely want him back. There’s so much Lindgren dumping going on in Rangers town. I get that he didn’t have a great year this year but it’s an overreaction. He’s 26. It’s ok. If he’s on your 2nd or 3rd pairing for the next 4-5 years you’re doing something right IMO

I think we're scarred by the 2012-ish timeframe when we were having these conversations about Dan Girardi and Marc Staal, ended up signing them both for too much and too long, and ate shit on the deals.

Lindgren's got a lot of miles on him for a 26-year-old D. It's how he plays, and if I'm Drury, that contract can't exceed 4 years unless the AAV doesn't exceed 4m. The future is clear, and you can't spell Ryan Lindgren without IR.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Who’s playing with Fox?  Miller?

If they can't find someone better, yes. I'd prefer to trade Miller and get a legitimate top pairing guy.

Edited by BrooksBurner

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

If they can't find someone better, yes. I'd prefer to trade Miller and get a legitimate top pairing guy.

nah, i changed my stance on Miller after these playoffs.  He was pretty solid.  it was obvious that Trouba was dragging him down. MIller is a keeper 

1 hour ago, Albatrosss said:

nah, i changed my stance on Miller after these playoffs.  He was pretty solid.  it was obvious that Trouba was dragging him down. MIller is a keeper 

I just don't see the progression.

• Like 1

Which window is more important?

The flawed one now which is missing a RW, probably a C and both a RD and a LD but includes Igor.

The 25-29 window (Laf's window with Fox as star#2)?

If the Rangers don't start looking hard at that next window they will half-ass it like they did with this one and we'll be looking at a longer gap before the next Cup win.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If the Rangers were a Roman Legion they'd have lined up all the vets who were not hitting in the playoffs or putting themselves into spots where they might be hit and they'd have knifed one of them in the back.

It was called decimation because one of every 10 soldiers in the Legion would be executed based purely on where they were in the lineup.  Kill one, walk 10 paces, kill one, etc.

There's a reason Roman Legions rarely broke and were generally ready to fight all comers.

Edit: just adding that I think we will see a trade decimation here.  Somebody will pay the price for the team's inability to compete with Florida.

Edited by Br4d

Drury leaving the door open for some surprises this off season. GOOD. He sees that without Shesty we get sweptt by Florida. He saw them hemmed in the zone and unable to break out. Change in the horizon.

Running it back and big story will be Rempe playing 10 minutes.

Probably check back in in 5 years. This core is cooked. Really bad spot to be in. Feels like we're back in purgatory.

8 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Running it back and big story will be Rempe playing 10 minutes.

Probably check back in in 5 years. This core is cooked. Really bad spot to be in. Feels like we're back in purgatory.

Yes because making the playoffs every year and the Eastern conference final two of the previous three Is surely the same as missing the playoffs for 7 straight sessions. 

They're in a good spot where they can continue to take cracks at it for another couple of seasons and then flip it over fairly quickly with the talent in the pipeline. 

There are a lot of pressure points on the core right now.

There's power play time.

There's role and status.

There's a crowd that has observed this core in action for 3+ years now.

I don't think the Rangers will have a hard time convincing the people they want to trade that it is time to move on.  It's possible that one or more are so tied into NY that they will want to stay in the area and we'll have to cross that bridge when we come to it.

The only big piece that was mentioned in a non-committal tone was Trouba. 

Drury said they're looking internally and externally for a right wing for Mika and Kreider. 

He can try and trade Panarin, I guess but a team that thinks they're close probably isn't doing that. 

Nothing is off the table. But again he can say whatever he wants but he can't do whatever he wants. 

This idea that you're going to make players miserable to the point they want to leave is just fiction. You'll never be able to sign a free agent again.

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yes because making the playoffs every year and the Eastern conference final two of the previous three Is surely the same as missing the playoffs for 7 straight sessions. 

They're in a good spot where they can continue to take cracks at it for another couple of seasons and then flip it over fairly quickly with the talent in the pipeline. 

The talent in the pipeline? There's no talent in the pipeline. There's one guy.

Pretty evident the "core" isn't good enough. They have 1 more year with their best player in place and after that he's either gone, or has signed a terrible deal.

I'm fairly certain they'll make the playoffs next year, probably two years, and that something, but they aren't a real cup contender at this point. They are now trending down.

• Keeps it 100 2

9 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Pretty evident the "core" isn't good enough. They have 1 more year with their best player in place and after that he's either gone, or has signed a terrible deal.

I'm fairly certain they'll make the playoffs next year, probably two years, and that something, but they aren't a real cup contender at this point. They are now trending down.

Laf is going to ascend into a reality where a half dozen guys are dragging him down.  Not lines 3 and 4 either.

19 minutes ago, Dunny said:

I don't think I've ever disagreed with a post top to bottom as much as I disagree with this one.

14 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Laf is going to ascend into a reality where a half dozen guys are dragging him down.  Not lines 3 and 4 either.

Let's see him do it once without Panarin setting his plate all season before we anoint him? There's almost a handful of guys not thriving already and I'm not talking about the names always mentioned here as having to be traded. (including Trouba, I believe that ship has sailed and sunk and there's no  coming back from it).

Laf took a big step forward no doubt which is great but he's  not that close to being the most productive guy out there.

The list or regular forwards who played close to a whole season with less points than Laf

-Vesey

-Goodrow

-Cullye

-Kakko - while he didn't come close to 80 games he was clearly going to come up short as well

Before you yell PP time, then the coaching staff must stink because they saw no reason to make room for him on one of the best PP units in the league 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

The only big piece that was mentioned in a non-committal tone was Trouba. 

Drury said they're looking internally and externally for a right wing for Mika and Kreider. 

He can try and trade Panarin, I guess but a team that thinks they're close probably isn't doing that. 

Nothing is off the table. But again he can say whatever he wants but he can't do whatever he wants. 

This idea that you're going to make players miserable to the point they want to leave is just fiction. You'll never be able to sign a free agent again.

Maybe they could sign Stamkos to pay with Kreider and Zebanejad...

14 hours ago, Pete said:

I don't think I've ever disagreed with a post top to bottom as much as I disagree with this one.

There is talent here and in the pipeline. Last season people were bitching about Laffy playing beer league softball; not hearing that ever again. The issue is there are a mess of bad contracts and NMCs that make moving the pieces around problematic. And whether and how you might cut bait on the talent that isn't ever gonna work here in Kakko and Chytil.