• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kakko 'Feels Like a Real Candidate to Go'

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, phillyb said:

He doesn't get much in return and as soon as you get rid of him, you have a hole to fill. And then you're looking for a defensively-responsible, cheap forward...a la Kappo Kakko. 

His draft position sucks, but his next contract is gonna be cheap and he's gonna be in the bottom-6 here (and likely anywhere else), so why get rid of him?

Edit - just read phil's post. I always forget about making room for new kids. 

You're right though. 

Aside, the new kids are all LWs and it would be peak Rangers to take AHL top 6 LWs and plug them in as bottom 6 RWs. 

They tried Othmann at RW in Hartford and the results were uninspiring. He probably needs more AHL time overall. 

Edited by Pete

Posted (edited)

If you move on from Kakko, Berard is the guy to fill the role IMO. His only downside is his size. But he’s very quick, he’s annoying and he can score. That role is essentially what his potential calls for; middle-6 forward. You probably won’t see that drastic of a change of production next year from him compared to Kakko. But he is quicker. Said it in the Off-Season thread. Would potentially save you $1.5M against the cap if you went this route too.

Edited by RichieNextel305

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

You're right though. 

Aside, the new kids are all LWs and it would be peak Rangers to take AHL top 6 LWs and plug them in as bottom 6 RWs. 

They tried Othmann at RW in Hartford and the results were uninspiring. He probably needs more AHL time overall. 

Berard plays both wings, I'm pretty sure. His coaches at Providence said they thought he played LW better "because he's facing up ice," but he plays both sides.

16 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

If you move on from Kakko, Berard is the guy to fill the role IMO. His only downside is his size. But he’s very quick, he’s annoying and he can score. That role is essentially what his potential calls for; middle-6 forward. You probably won’t see that drastic of a change of production next year from him compared to Kakko. But he is quicker. Said it in the Off-Season thread. Would potentially save you $1.5M against the cap if you went this route too.

Size is irrelevant if you don't use it. Kakko never did anything with it except shield the puck into oblivion. I won't miss that for a second. I'd rather a guy lose the puck trying to cut to the middle of the ice than protect it on the wall where it circles a drain and dies.

• Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Phil said:

Berard plays both wings, I'm pretty sure. His coaches at Providence said they thought he played LW better "because he's facing up ice," but he plays both sides.

I don't know, all I'm saying is I'm not ready to rush young players to the NHL just so that fans can be satisfied by moving out a player their disappointed in. 

Kakko isn't blocking anyone and what you would be trying to do is replace Kakko with Kakko.

If Berard is ready it's a different story. Othmann certainly isn't. 

Just now, Phil said:

Size is irrelevant if you don't use it. Kakko never did anything with it except shield the puck into oblivion. I won't miss that for a second.

I was talking about Berard with the size but I see your point.

I really like him. But he is a fucking small dude. 5’9. That’s my only concern.

But I do like his game. Would definitely bring some speed. 

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Size is irrelevant if you don't use it. Kakko never did anything with it except shield the puck into oblivion. I won't miss that for a second. I'd rather a guy lose the puck trying to cut to the middle of the ice than protect it on the wall where it circles a drain and dies.

That's not the point he's making, but like everything else nobody can miss a beat to shit on a player. 

Richie said Berard size works against him. He's not wrong. 

The response to that has nothing to do with Kakko. The discussion is about Berard. 

Just now, Pete said:

I don't know, all I'm saying is I'm not ready to rush young players to the NHL just so that fans can be satisfied by moving out a player their disappointed in. 

Kakko isn't blocking anyone and what you would be trying to do is replace Kakko with Kakko.

If Berard is ready it's a different story. Othmann certainly isn't. 

Yep. Agreed.

I have no issue with Kakko returning. But if they did decide to move on with him, I think Berard may be ready to step in. That role is a role made for him whereas Othmann, even if he were ready, is more Top-6 than that. I’d give him another year in Hartford ideally.

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's not the point he's making, but like everything else nobody can miss a beat to shit on a player. 

Richie said Berard size works against him. He's not wrong. 

The response to that has nothing to do with Kakko. The discussion is about Berard. 

It's not missing a beat to shit on a player, it's a point of comparison. Kakko has size. He has all the height/weight/strength on paper that makes him a desirable player on any roster. But that size mostly goes to waste because he doesn't use it where it's most effective — the middle of the ice.

Berard, as a comparison, is tiny, but in almost every clip I watch routinely cuts to the slot and seems to play with a fearlessness that we just don't see from other, larger players. Kakko included, but not the only example.

It's also a thread literally about Kakko, not Berard.

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Berard, as a comparison, is tiny, but in almost every clip I watch routinely cuts to the slot and seems to play with a fearlessness that we just don't see from other, larger players. Kakko included, but not the only example.

And none of that changes the fact that his size is a disadvantage. Which is the point being made by Richie.

See this one is just not a good idea. Kakko is big, strong, and pins the puck in the offensive zone better than almost anyone, and what's more is that he's cheap since he can't score. I dislike him as much as the next guy, but I promise whomever you replace him with at 2.5ish million is never going to be better, and never going to have the upside. This guy is a no-brainer keep for me, even though he's frustrating AF. 

14 minutes ago, Valriera said:

See this one is just not a good idea. Kakko is big, strong, and pins the puck in the offensive zone better than almost anyone, and what's more is that he's cheap since he can't score. I dislike him as much as the next guy, but I promise whomever you replace him with at 2.5ish million is never going to be better, and never going to have the upside. This guy is a no-brainer keep for me, even though he's frustrating AF. 

His problems are all decision making related, which you would think would be easy to fix with some coaching, but sometimes I can't tell if it's easier to fix what's between the ears or harder. Like have they really not had a simple conversation with him directly telling him that he needs to get the puck into the middle? Are they not doing video with him? 

I don't know, it just seems crazy to me that a guy who can keep the puck away the way he can never takes it to the net. Somebody needs to explain this to me.... I want to know what he says about why he doesn't do it lol. 

He was terrible in the latter part of the season and playoffs, so I don't object to getting rid of him, but it should be noted that he played excellent hockey for a significant stretch after he came back from the injury this year.  Keeping him without a raise wouldn't be a big problem.

31 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

If Kreider were traded, I would give Kakko one more year at the 2.4 QO and put him with Zibanejad. It's a different dynamic if Kreider is not there.

I could absolutely see this. A line of Cuyle-Zib-Kakko would be interesting. Strong forecheck & possession 

34 minutes ago, RangerDanger said:

I could absolutely see this. A line of Cuyle-Zib-Kakko would be interesting. Strong forecheck & possession 

And maybe they would score 45 goals all season with 30 of those from Mica...

2 minutes ago, JHS said:

And maybe they would score 45 goals all season with 30 of those from Mica...

Possibly. But the Bromance needs to end, somehow. They've tried multiple RWs on the Kreids-Zib line the past 3 years, and none have ever impressed consistently. Which leads me to believe the problem ain't the RW, it's the playing style of those 2. We also know, we aren't picking up a big-name, impactful, play-driving RW this season.....so what do you do?

2 hours ago, Pete said:

You're right though. 

Berard and Othmann alternated who was on the right wing throughout the season. Berard spent the first 1/3 on the right, then Othmann, and then Berard to close out the season plus playoffs. They ended the playoffs on a line together with Korczak in the middle.

Berard just seems readier in general. He drives play with his speed and willingness to get grimy. Othmann still needs to figure out how to assert himself both offensively and phsyically.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

His problems are all decision making related, which you would think would be easy to fix with some coaching, but sometimes I can't tell if it's easier to fix what's between the ears or harder. Like have they really not had a simple conversation with him directly telling him that he needs to get the puck into the middle? Are they not doing video with him? 

I don't know, it just seems crazy to me that a guy who can keep the puck away the way he can never takes it to the net. Somebody needs to explain this to me.... I want to know what he says about why he doesn't do it lol. 

He probably just doesn't speak english well enough yet and he thinks that when the coach says "take it to the net" he means "in the general vicinity, but not including the regions directly in front of, the net"

• LOL 1
  • VINNY! 1

2 hours ago, RangerDanger said:

Possibly. But the Bromance needs to end, somehow. They've tried multiple RWs on the Kreids-Zib line the past 3 years, and none have ever impressed consistently. Which leads me to believe the problem ain't the RW, it's the playing style of those 2. We also know, we aren't picking up a big-name, impactful, play-driving RW this season.....so what do you do?

We do?

It's a possibility in my book.