• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kakko 'Feels Like a Real Candidate to Go'

6 hours ago, Valriera said:

See this one is just not a good idea. Kakko is big, strong, and pins the puck in the offensive zone better than almost anyone, and what's more is that he's cheap since he can't score. I dislike him as much as the next guy, but I promise whomever you replace him with at 2.5ish million is never going to be better, and never going to have the upside. This guy is a no-brainer keep for me, even though he's frustrating AF. 

Please ,no to Kakko 

I don't think that they have to trade him, but they only have 4 wing spots available on the bottom 2 lines.

Right now you have:

Kaako

Cullye

Vesey

Rempe

Brodzinski

Chytil(possibly if they upgrade at Center and don't move him to Kreider & Mika's line)

In the pipeline:

Othmann

Edstrom

Berard

As well as maybe the following names the season afterwards:

Chmelar

Rooerbroeck

McConnel-Barker

Laba

Have no issue with resigning him for 2.5 million for the role he plays. Eventually he may get pushed out to make room for someone who gives them the same production at a lower cap hit and has a more physical game. We should shed no tears if that is how it ends up shaking out over the next 2 seasons.

12 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

The Rangers have to pick a lane first.

Win now: dump Kakko, get tougher

Prioritize future: give Kakko some more time, see if signs of top 6 can surface.

I’m the 2nd lane. Anyone under 25 gets more leash to show if they deserve to be part of the future, even Kakko. Winning now takes a backseat.

And replace Kakko with whom?

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

He’s worth a 2nd round pick, but I said my preference is to hold onto him

If he can improve defensively on Line 3 then yes, keep him.  The bigger are concerns are Laf and Shesterkin.  Drury needs to lock them up before training camp.

Just now, Rangers1994 said:

Not well. Seriously, what would be your ideal return?

The ideal return? That he takes Trouba with him and we get the cap relief. I doubt it's really possible, but I'd call two teams. San Jose and Chicago.  Both have a great amount of cap space this offseason and both are in a poisition where a large salary really doesn't kill them in the next two years. It would likely be a sign and trade in terms of Kakko for 2 years where they are enticed enough to think they get a prospect that needs a change of scenery and a veteran "leader" that can mentor an upcoming team. Maybe ring Anaheim too. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Phil said:

More on Kakko:

This isn't "more", it's the same 3 things he said to Marek.

Hot take: KK will be here because he's cheap and the Rangers have no cap flexibility. IF he gets beat out by Berard or someone, they'll waive him.

Edited by Pete
  • Bullseye 1

The Kakko situation is way down on our to do list for the summer.  If he kicks around here indefinitely as a $2.1m per year good defensive third line player, it won't bother me much.

• Like 1

Kaapo Kakko’s Rangers tenure should be over — but only at right trade price

I don’t think the Rangers necessarily need to move on from Kaapo Kakko, who at the very least is a conscientious and effective checking-type winger that contenders covet, but I think it’s probably best for the Finn to move on from the Rangers.

There’s just been so much disappointment over the last five years. It’s five years — two of which were interrupted by significant injuries — but in a lot of ways, it feels like Kakko hasn’t even started yet despite having played 300 NHL games since his 2019 second-overall selection.

But the Blueshirts cannot afford to simply give away a valuable piece out of charity. You saw how their depth disintegrated during this run. Surely GM Chris Drury wouldn’t move Kakko for a second- or third-rounder or a prospect/suspect. That is not the mode this team should adopt.

I expect Kakko to be available and I would expect him to become part of a larger deal if one manifests. Four years and five seasons after the pingpong ball popped, it’s time to move on.

https://nypost.com/2024/06/04/sports/kaapo-kakkos-time-with-rangers-should-be-over-at-right-trade-price/

As discussed there’s no reason to trade him unless it’s part of a package. He’s priced right for his performance which is needed on any winning team. Sucks that he hasn’t lived up to draft position but he’s not trouba. He is playing about what he is paid to play

38 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I second this!

Cheap RW...which we need

Even if you use him on a 3rd or 4th line basis it’s fine. Maybe a mid season or deadline trade if anything. 

the more I think about it the guy who has to go is trouba. Kreider still brings value. Zib and panarin aren’t going anywhere unless they WANT to go. Troubas contract is an albatross and I think he’s still a valued guy enough to make a hockey trade work here. 

possibly goodrow too. 

3 minutes ago, siddious said:

Even if you use him on a 3rd or 4th line basis it’s fine. Maybe a mid season or deadline trade if anything. 

the more I think about it the guy who has to go is trouba. Kreider still brings value. Zib and panarin aren’t going anywhere unless they WANT to go. Troubas contract is an albatross and I think he’s still a valued guy enough to make a hockey trade work here. 

possibly goodrow too. 

Kakko I still think is the least of our worries.  Ok, He stinks...but he's cheap, he plays RW, and he can score a few points here and there....rarely, but it's possible.  Mika plays like a pussy, and so does Panarin, but we know their shtick.

Trouba is the problem...and not just his contract this time.  He sucked in the playoffs, flat out!  He was like fucking rotting dead possum carcas in a hot garage, stinky!