• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

There May Be Interest in Trouba If Rangers Retain Some Salary

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Oh this fucking guy's gotta go!  Eat the $2 million and trade this guy already!  Make Tro the Captain!  He deserves it!

I've been waiting for this thread!  I'm watching the game with Keith and the minute douchebag goes to throw the check and missed, I fucking said it right to him;  "Trouba just missed, watch this!".  Sure enough fucking Florida scores their 1st goal of the game with :48 seconds in the period!  @Keirik

I've had it with him...and I don't give a shit if he was injured or anything like that.  11 fucking penalties and a train wreck on D.

Bye!

Yeah.

His playoff performance this year really cemented things for me. 

He’s gotta go.

• Keeps it 100 2

1 minute ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Jersey is probably a team he would be willing to go to.   Maybe they can do Trouba a 3rd rounder and 2M retention for Mercer?   Not much I like on Jersey that they would be willing to trade. 

This feels like it would never happen. These teams do not deal together. They've done like two? trades ever in the history of both franchises? The last time was Grabner and that was when the Rangers were liquidating. That's not the same thing as this when both teams are going to be in direct competition for the same playoffs spots/success.

Was Trouba always this bad? Okay, maybe not this bad, but was he always bad?

I feel like there's a good chance he doesn't magically disappear in the off-season, which means we're stuck with him for another two years. So, to that end, I'm wondering if they can try to go back and find how he was successful. He's not that old, and I don't recall him having any major injuries - which may explain such a massive drop off. Maybe he needs to lose some weight to get faster, maybe he needs to work on changing up the off-season routine, or maybe he needs a sports psych. Or maybe all of the above and more. 

Point is, there's got to be a way to get some semblance of the player they signed to a massive contract. 

2 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

I feel like there's a good chance he doesn't magically disappear in the off-season, which means we're stuck with him for another two years. So, to that end, I'm wondering if they can try to go back and find how he was successful. He's not that old, and I don't recall him having any major injuries - which may explain such a massive drop off. Maybe he needs to lose some weight to get faster, maybe he needs to work on changing up the off-season routine, or maybe he needs a sports psych. Or maybe all of the above and more. 

Point is, there's got to be a way to get some semblance of the player they signed to a massive contract. 

There's no substitute for stupid though, Morph.  He made bad decisions and dumb plays that caused him to take bad and untimely penalties.  The physical part I'll buy...that you can change...the "stupid" is a differnt story.

Just now, Ozzy said:

There's no substitute for stupid though, Morph.  He made bad decisions and dumb plays that caused him to take bad and untimely penalties.  The physical part I'll buy...that you can change...the "stupid" is a differnt story.

I think a lot of it is just being too slow in general. Like he's reading plays poorly, but he's also mistiming everything - hits, pinches, etc.. So, if you could improve his speed and skills a bit maybe he becomes slightly more useable. You can't fix his brain, but again, I'm wondering if he was always this bad. Like why, all of a sudden, is he completely unable to read a play correctly or make even the simplest decision?

I'm trying to explore potential avenues for improvement because I am not convinced he's tradeable at this point, even at half retained. Maybe if he had a year left.

• Like 1

Trouba and Lindgren were hurt at the end of the season, Fox never really recovered from his injury during the season.  That is why the Rangers got Chad Ruhwedel from Pittsburgh and brought up Zac Jones.  Both sat on the bench.  Then the Rangers played Filip Chytil in the playoffs after he missed the entire season and had absolutely nothing to do with the Rangers success.  Worse, he was brought in to play against the most physical team in the playoffs and he has a concussion history that sidelined him at least 5 times during his short career.  Then they added Blake Wheeler back into the line up during the playoffs after a serious leg injury that most thought was career ending because of the severity and his age - 37.

We can blame players until we are blue in the face but to me the Rangers management is the problem.  They broke up the team that got them "there" to play guys who had no business being brought in during the playoffs, let alone a playoff series against the most physical team in the playoffs.  They had guys sitting on the bench who were healthy, could play physically, were ready, and to me most important of all who contributed to the Rangers success during the season  - even with their short experience or time with the team.

Sorry fellas.  I don't see blaming players as the culprit this year.  Trades or switches won't solve the problems that occured during the Panther series.  That said, if the Rangers would have survived this series they'd have won the cup.  Dallas and Edmonton play a style or brand of hockey more traditional and even with some of the Edmonton "star" players the Rangers could have beaten either team.  If Florida plays Edmonton like they played the Rangers I'm looking at a sweep for Florida.  Florida was juiced and prepared for this playoff season.  They weren't just more physical than the Rangers they were better conditioned physically in that they got stronger in every single game and did not wear down from their aggressive play.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Yup, regardless of if you do it this summer or next, too. It's a $4 million dollar hit in the same summer/off-season they need to re-sign Lafreniere, Miller, and Shesterkin. I don't think a buyout is viable at all. This feels like a scenario in which you have to trade him with minimal retention and add sweeteners to get whomever to agree to take on as much of his hit as possible.

It's this. If they buy him out they kind of screw themselves a bit. You need to replace his roster spot as a 3rd pairing D. Even if u go to the bargain basement for league minimum or around 1m, you're talking about using up about 5m for his spot (4m dead cap +1m player) so you really only have a 3m net gain that is already spoken for the following year when bigger fish are up to be given a lot of cash. 

They need most/all of his cap gone which likely means trading a large sweetener with him. Possibly a 3 team trade with double retention but that's likely with 2 assets. 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

At his best, he was mediocre. When everyone hated Skjei, Trouba's metrics were nearly identical, but "physical" so he got a pass. He was never worth his price tag. Now he's a tangible net negative. I don't really know how you fix him at his age.

It's no coincidence that Miller looked light years better with Schneider, it's become clear his mistakes come from being paired with an anchor.

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

At his best, he was mediocre. When everyone hated Skjei, Trouba's metrics were nearly identical, but "physical" so he got a pass. He was never worth his price tag. Now he's a tangible net negative. I don't really know how you fix him at his age.

It's no coincidence that Miller looked light years better with Schneider, it's become clear his mistakes come from being paired with an anchor.

Alright, thanks. So how can we get him back to "not worth the cost" and away from "boat anchor, net negative"?

1 minute ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Alright, thanks. So how can we get him back to "not worth the cost" and away from "boat anchor, net negative"?

Pair him with Skjei?

• LOL 1

1 minute ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

17 out of 35 is just about 50%.

If you cut that in half we probably are in the finals.

Considering how many 1-goal-games there were...

Ugh, yeah. 

• Keeps it 100 1

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

Two teams immediately spring to mind:

San Jose — $37 million in cap

Utah — Almost no NHL defensemen signed

I think they both will be on his 15 team no trade list.

He's going to want to stay on the east coast too.

4 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I think they both will be on his 15 team no trade list.

He's going to want to stay on the east coast too.

I don't see why the Rangers couldn't use the same tactics that Tampa Bay did to make McDonagh waive his NMC on Trouba. 

1 minute ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

I don't see why the Rangers couldn't use the same tactics that Tampa Bay did to make McDonagh waive his NMC on Trouba. 

What kind of tactics are they going to deploy that will make him go somewhere he doesn't want to?

Especially when he came to NY because of his wife.