• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

There May Be Interest in Trouba If Rangers Retain Some Salary

14 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

He probably wouldn't want to play on a team that is rebuilding

Utah probably aren't. Their foundation is solid and they're gonna spend big in free agency to build a legitimate first-year team.

Posted (edited)

He sucks healthy, he sucks injured. It doesn't matter. He could have stayed at home injured. The time without him in the line-up was the most relaxed phase of the entire season for me. 

Edited by Mistercosmic
  • Keeps it 100 1

I don’t give a shit. If anything, it makes me madder. The team went 12-2 without him. If he felt hindered, don’t fucking play. It’s that simple.

Him being a step slow wasn’t the issue. His decision making, which was poor before the injury, was. Him opting to go and elbow Bennett before he entered the zone instead of playing the puck on Florida’s first goal in Game 6 had nothing to do with a broken ankle and everything to do with bad defense.

Broken ankle or not, hit the road.

• Bullseye 3
  • Keeps it 100 2

He doesn’t suck when healthy. He’s just overpaid by like $4 million as a middling 2nd pairing (4th) defenseman.

The reason that distinction needs to be made rather than dog piling on him is because dumping him and holding a $4M dead cap hit is only worth it if they can get a $4M replacement who both makes the team better and means more to the team than a healthy Trouba.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I can see how a broken ankle will effect decision-making, especially timing of decisions: "I gotta get rid of this puck ASAP so no one checks me and hurts me further." But that's not the same as taking himself out of position on a regular basis to land a body check. His decision making sucks and he's not fast enough to recover from taking himself out of position. 

I'm in the he-can't-be-on-this-roster-next-season boat. 

Edited by phillyb
  • Keeps it 100 2

11 penalties in 16 post season games.. He could have had both of his shins shot off in the war like Cotton Hill, and I'd still be irritated with his discipline. 

Be gone. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

My question is why did we acquire Chad Ruhwedel and give Pittsburgh a 4th Round Pick if we weren’t going to use him when someone has a broken ankle?

This deadline was full of mismanagement IMO.

Because they needed him just to get through the season, he was playing when Trouba got hurt at the deadline. 

There was nothing mismanaged at the deadline. You have to make the best deal available to your club and not get raped at the same time. But you can't make deals that aren't there. 

Do I wish they got Guentzel? Of course. But if he didn't work out here in the Rangers got eliminated, everybody would be crying about the package we wasted to get him and then he came here and did nothing. 

If there's one thing Drury does well, it's trade deadlines. He did well for the last 3 years considering the assets he was able to keep. 

Edited by Pete
  • Applause 1

Drury generally does a good job at the trade deadline.  Wish he would've moved the first round pick to get either a better top 6 RW or 3C, but maybe there was some truth to the rumor that Dolan told him not to trade it.

19 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Drury generally does a good job at the trade deadline.  Wish he would've moved the first round pick to get either a better top 6 RW or 3C, but maybe there was some truth to the rumor that Dolan told him not to trade it.

They’re moving the 1st this summer.

It’s a crap draft at 30th overall.

Move the pick in a package. 

19 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

They’re moving the 1st this summer.

It’s a crap draft at 30th overall.

Move the pick in a package. 

As long as they can stand up at the podium in the Sphere and say "The Rangers are trading the 30th pick to...for..." And it really doesn't matter what the team name is or who the player is, eventually it will be complained about by the fans 🤣 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Because they needed him just to get through the season, he was playing when Trouba got hurt at the deadline. 

There was nothing mismanaged at the deadline. You have to make the best deal available to your club and not get raped at the same time. But you can't make deals that aren't there. 

Do I wish they got Guentzel? Of course. But if he didn't work out here in the Rangers got eliminated, everybody would be crying about the package we wasted to get him and then he came here and did nothing. 

If there's one thing Drury does well, it's trade deadlines. He did well for the last 3 years considering the assets he was able to keep. 

This isn’t even about Guentzel. I just don’t get wasting a 4th Round pick on a guy who played 5 games for us, and couldn’t even be trusted to step in for Trouba on the right side when he was clearly struggling. That’s all I meant.

Roslovic and Wennberg were meh moves for a team that needed more. And if they just LTIR’d Trouba, they would have had more money to play with. Vegas does it, fuck it, why couldn’t we? Broken ankle? Rest up, see you in Round 1. 

I didn’t like a lot of what I heard today. I’m not saying I don’t trust Drury because I do. I just think somethings were handled questionably.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

This isn’t even about Guentzel. I just don’t get wasting a 4th Round pick on a guy who played 5 games for us, and couldn’t even be trusted to step in for Trouba on the right side when he was clearly struggling. That’s all I meant.

Roslovic and Wennberg were meh moves for a team that needed more. And if they just LTIR’d Trouba, they would have had more money to play with. Vegas does it, fuck it, why couldn’t we? Broken ankle? Rest up, see you in Round 1. 

I didn’t like a lot of what I heard today. I’m not saying I don’t trust Drury because I do. I just think somethings were handled questionably.

Well you also have to realize we're still not working with all the information, just media snippets and we're also not working in the moment, it's a review in hindsight. 

If today's interview was done after a Stanley Cup win we'd be calling everyone a warrior. But because they lost it becomes why did they play? 

If you can play, you play. If there's one thing I trust about Lavvy It's that he's not going to play players who aren't healthy enough to play. We've seen guys sit out of practices and sit out of games because they were banged up. At the end of the day I play Fox on one leg before Rudeweasel. 

The fourth rounder, your mileage may vary but I don't really give a shit about it. The likelihood of a fourth rounder ever playing a game for your team let alone making a meaningful contribution are slim anyway. 

Edited by Pete

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well you also have to realize we're still not working with all the information, just media snippets and we're also not working in the moment, it's a review in hindsight. 

If today's interview was done after a Stanley Cup win we'd be calling everyone a warrior. But because they lost it becomes why did they play? 

If you can play, you play. If there's one thing I trust about Lavvy It's that he's not going to play players who aren't healthy enough to play. We've seen guys sit out of practices and sit out of games because they were banged up. At the end of the day I play Fox on one leg before Rudeweasel. 

The fourth rounder, your mileage may vary but I don't really give a shit about it. The likelihood of a fourth rounder ever playing a game for your team let alone making a meaningful contribution are slim anyway. 

All of that’s fine, but there was plenty of reason to yank Trouba. Poor play, bad decisions, constantly taking back breaking penalties, on the ice for roughly 50% of the final 35 goals we gave up, playing teams too quick. And now also an injured ankle.

I get the warrior aspect. But he was making no impact and was actually hurting us. I just wish at one point, either the Captain or the coach would have called it for what it was and pulled him. Because now we know there was at least an excuse to fall back on.

I trust Laviolette. I have wanted Laviolette here since we fired Renney back in 2009. The guy is a winner. I believe in him. I just wish he would have at some point pulled the plug here with Trouba, because he really was *that* bad for us in the playoffs.

Edited by RichieNextel305

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

All of that’s fine, but there was plenty of reason to yank Trouba. Poor play, bad decisions, constantly taking back breaking penalties, playing teams too quick. And now also an injured ankle.

I get the warrior aspect. But he was making no impact and was actually hurting us. I just wish at one point, either the Captain or the coach would have called it for what it was and pulled him. Because now we know there was at least an excuse to fall back on.

I trust Laviolette. I have wanted Laviolette here since we fired Renney back in 2009. The guy is a winner. I believe in him. I just wish he would have at some point pulled the plug here with Trouba, because he really was *that* bad for us in the playoffs.

I totally get it man. Trouba was unplayable. But at the same time, there's only one man in the entire NHL who would have sat him down. 

Ice Hockey Smile GIF by NHL

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

I totally get it man. Trouba was unplayable. But at the same time, there's only one man in the entire NHL who would have sat him down. 

Ice Hockey Smile GIF by NHL

Funny enough, the guy we hired over Laviolette in 2009.

Oh, the irony.

It’s tough for a coach in that spot.

Really tough.

And the “hockey player mentality “ plays into it too. 
That shit is real. 

If a hockey player of his reputation who is your captain is medically cleared to go and says he can go… every coach in the league is probably playing him.

But should he have been out there in an ankle that was broken and clearly not fully healed? 
No.

He hurt that shit in early March.

Came back before the month was over.

Literally less than 4 weeks.

And he was noticeably worse because of it.

Im not a doctor.

I don’t know the full nature of it.

But given what we do know… it looks like he  had an injury that required a lengthier period of immobilization and actual rehab of some length.

He probably opted for not much of one and none of the other.