• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

There May Be Interest in Trouba If Rangers Retain Some Salary

5 hours ago, Sod16 said:

The more I think about this the more I think that Drury should entertain the possibility of a McDonagh strong arm deal.  It worked for Tampa because they canvassed the bottom trollers and got some assurance that he would be taken if put on waivers.  I guess there's no tampering issues with that.  If Drury approached a team like the Sharks, they might just take him off waivers.  They would be getting a very physical defenseman and leader who will probably be better than he was the tail end of this year.  The cap hit wouldn't hurt them and they only have to pay him $6m rather than the cap hit.  Now, none of the teams not on the no-trade list would take the full cap hit, as Nashville did with McD, so we would just have to go through with putting him on waivers, spooked teammates be damned.

Trouba can't be waived without his consent.

27 minutes ago, Scott said:

Trouba can't be waived without his consent.

May not be true. The final two years of his deal, his NMC shifts to a modified no-trade.

2024-25: Player submits a 15 team no trade list; 2025-26: Player submits a 12 team no trade list.

NMC are what prevent teams from movement, period. Hence no-movement. NTCs are generally purely for trade protection.

5 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Trouba can only cross out 15 teams. Still, it would be wise of the org to work with him on a preferred destination if they really want to get him out. Treating the situation with respect matters. Jokes and recency bias aside, he’s given this org a lot of himself. Others are watching.

I hear you, and your point is valid, but when cap hell hits, with Panarin at 11.5, Sheshty at about that, LaF at more than 6, Fox at 9.5, Zib at 8.5 etc., we may hot have the option of playing nice.

5 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

That was only needed because McDonagh had a full NTC, but not an NMC so he could nix all trades but still be waived. He was still worth close to his contract value at the time so he would have been claimed by a random team. So he worked with Tampa to custom pick a known spot that wanted him and he could tolerate.

Trouba can only cross out 15 teams. Still, it would be wise of the org to work with him on a preferred destination if they really want to get him out. Treating the situation with respect matters. Jokes and recency bias aside, he’s given this org a lot of himself. Others are watching.

100%. And they will. The front office ain't Twitter. Drury can be cold blooded, but anyone with a set of eyes can see how much he highly respects that player. If they need to move on, they will, but they're not gonna just pull the rug out from under the player.

I'd look at Detroit. Take back Petry (one year) and buy him out. $1.5M~ this year, $375K penalty next.

Or maybe Chiarot and do the same. 1.08, 2.08, 1.58, 1.58. Totally manageable.

• Applause 1

On 6/3/2024 at 10:06 AM, RichieNextel305 said:

Do whatever you gotta do to rid yourself of this guy.

We all may have our differences of opinion on other players and how this off-season should go. But I think it’s a pretty universal train of thought that we all believe that this has to be the end of the line for Trouba here.

Please tell me you’re joking?  We want to get tougher and you want to get rid of him?  

Ok Totally agree, get rid of him 😂

43 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Please tell me you’re joking?  We want to get tougher and you want to get rid of him?  

How will we ever replace flying elbows and missed checks?!

trouba reminds me of me in chel when they change up the hitting controls and I keep missing hits and getting scored on 

• Keeps it 100 1

27 minutes ago, siddious said:

trouba reminds me of me in chel when they change up the hitting controls and I keep missing hits and getting scored on 

And who's going to give the puck away to the opposing team if Trouba isn't here?

2 hours ago, Phil said:

May not be true. The final two years of his deal, his NMC shifts to a modified no-trade.

2024-25: Player submits a 15 team no trade list; 2025-26: Player submits a 12 team no trade list.

NMC are what prevent teams from movement, period. Hence no-movement. NTCs are generally purely for trade protection.

That's what I thought originally Google AI say's that's not the case though.

Can a NHL Player on a M-NTC Be Waived

From the NY Times:

A no-movement clause with a modified no-trade clause means a player cannot be placed on waivers or assigned to the minors without his consent but can be traded as long as it's not specified where he can or cannot be traded.Mar 6, 2024

I didn't do the bolding here.

1 hour ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Not joking even in the slightest.

I think we can find someone just as tough who doesn’t suck defensively and doesn’t cost $8 Million AAV.

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Not joking even in the slightest.

I think we can find someone just as tough who doesn’t suck defensively and doesn’t cost $8 Million AAV.

Gudas is the same player, and makes half. 

22 minutes ago, Abe Froman said:

And who's going to give the puck away to the opposing team if Trouba isn't here?

Pick any name out of the hat, the odds are you'll find many who continue to blindly throw the puck around especially into the middle of the ice.

1 hour ago, siddious said:

This is why I use the playmaker build and don’t bother with checks

1 hour ago, Scott said:

That's what I thought originally Google AI say's that's not the case though.

Can a NHL Player on a M-NTC Be Waived

From the NY Times:

I didn't do the bolding here.

I guess it depends on if he has that in his deal. I'm not sure any of us know.

Not that it matters though, because they're not going to waive him or threaten him the way TBL did to McDonagh. He means too much to them IMO.

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

I guess it depends on if he has that in his deal. I'm not sure any of us know.

Not that it matters though, because they're not going to waive him or threaten him the way TBL did to McDonagh. He means too much to them IMO.

Quick check cap friendly 

3 hours ago, siddious said:

Quick check cap friendly 

checked the Google bible after having looked at CF.

When you do a google search for M-NTC and ask if a player can still be waived there isn't anything that says anything other than no, not without the player being asked if they agree to it. I'm not sure why any player with any kind of NTC or M-NTC would agree to not having that clause which is why every article written about it the last few years all say the same thing. 

That said I totally agree with Phil I don't see them asking him to be waived regardless. So the point is moot imo.

Edited by Scott

10 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I hear you, and your point is valid, but when cap hell hits, with Panarin at 11.5, Sheshty at about that, LaF at more than 6, Fox at 9.5, Zib at 8.5 etc., we may hot have the option of playing nice.

As far as the Times comment discussed above goes, it would appear that a contract must have some no-move element in it in addition to trade limitations in order to preclude waivers.  Otherwise, you never would have had the McDonagh situation.  None of us know exactly what Trouba's contract says.

I think when taking an objective view of this, specifically, the depth chart; this team CANNOT pay Trouba 8mil to be a third pairing defensemen. Schneider absolutely has supplanted him. Have to take the personal feelings out of it. Captain or not, it's time to move on. Tro, Laf, etc seem to be capable of being vocal leaders. Time to move on. Pretty much an anywhere but here scenario. As long as we shed the salary, we will be a better team for it.

Just now, jsm7302 said:

I think when taking an objective view of this, specifically, the depth chart; this team CANNOT pay Trouba 8mil to be a third pairing defensemen. Schneider absolutely has supplanted him. Have to take the personal feelings out of it. Captain or not, it's time to move on. Tro, Laf, etc seem to be capable of being vocal leaders. Time to move on. Pretty much an anywhere but here scenario. As long as we shed the salary, we will be a better team for it.

They are at a point now where they need to start thinking what they are comfortable with moving to sweeten the pot on Trouba. They're really going to need to give up as much as possible because they can't even retain 50% on him. They need somebody to take the full ticket or at least 6 million of it. 

The game has really passed him by. It's too fast for him, he's a known headhunter, and that one good year he had was based on taking slapshots from the power play in a scheme that hasn't been used probably since the season he did it. 

The guy's a fucking relic. 

• Keeps it 100 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

They are at a point now where they need to start thinking what they are comfortable with moving to sweeten the pot on Trouba. They're really going to need to give up as much as possible because they can't even retain 50% on him. They need somebody to take the full ticket or at least 6 million of it. 

The game has really passed him by. It's too fast for him, he's a known headhunter, and that one good year he had was based on taking slapshots from the power play in a scheme that hasn't been used probably since the season he did it. 

The guy's a fucking relic. 

Retaining anymore than 2mil is pointless if a sweetener is needed. At 4 mil we can buy him out and with the cap going up, maybe that's the play.