• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

There May Be Interest in Trouba If Rangers Retain Some Salary

2 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Retaining anymore than 2mil is pointless if a sweetener is needed. At 4 mil we can buy him out and with the cap going up, maybe that's the play.

To be honest I haven't looked what the buyout is. 

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

From what I've heard it's 4mil the first two years and 2mil for the last two.

The bolded is really what makes trading him rather than buying him out attractive. I'm tired of dead cap on this team. 

• Like 1

Even with the cap going up, $4 million dead money in the same summer that you need to keep Lafreniere and Miller is unwise. Especially if they end up re-signing Shesterkin early and for the money they're talking about.

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

Even with the cap going up, $4 million dead money in the same summer that you need to keep Lafreniere and Miller is unwise. Especially if they end up re-signing Shesterkin early and for the money they're talking about.

$4M dead money + $3M on a replacement is still less money invested than $8M to keep Trouba.

Edited by BrooksBurner

59 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

$4M dead money + $3M on a replacement is still less money invested than $8M to keep Trouba.

Yes, mathematically, but why are we assuming this is the only path available to them?

I would think the plan would be to trade Trouba with 2M retention if needed for either a top 6 RW or a 3C who makes somewhere around 5M.  And then sign a RD for the 3rd pair for 2M or less.

Edited by RJWantsTheCup

41 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I would think the plan would be to trade Trouba with 2M retention if needed for either a top 6 RW or a 3C who makes somewhere around 5M.  And then sign a RD for the 3rd pair for 2M or less.

That's where the math tips. 

Trading Trouba and retaining anything under 3.1m is the net-win. That's where your buyout and your replacement are equal (assuming the replacement is Jones at his 925k or so). And I'd guess that at 4.9m, there's a bunch of teams that want the Elbow Train.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Yes, mathematically, but why are we assuming this is the only path available to them?

Oh not at all. I think there’s a scale of retention that goes from “dump for free” to “have to pay assets to dump”.

4m retention is dump for free. 2m retention…typically that might be a 2nd or 3rd. Only one of those they have for the next 3 drafts is a 2026 3rd.

15 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Oh not at all. I think there’s a scale of retention that goes from “dump for free” to “have to pay assets to dump”.

4m retention is dump for free. 2m retention…typically that might be a 2nd or 3rd. Only one of those they have for the next 3 drafts is a 2026 3rd.

I just don't buy that he's a flat out cap dump. He's in the mold of guys that somehow retain value for no discernible reason. He's big, he's "mean", he hits, he's got the intangibles....

Provorov got a king's ransom for no fucking reason. Ristolainen did too. Jeff Petry returned Mike Matheson - kind of a problem swap there. 

It's not crazy to think that Trouba at 6m is positive value for two years to a number of teams.

• Believe 1

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

Another small update-ish on potential Trouba deal from Vince, who was a guest on BlueshirtsBreakaway's latest episode.

Chytil, Trouba, Kakko to who?!

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Chytil, Trouba, Kakko to who?!

What would the potential players coming back this way look like?

I think it would be rather limited because we're giving them Chytil a guy coming of major head injury lost season (while also having only one season over 23 points in 6). Trouba, a big ticket 3rd pair guy and Kakko who can posses the puck into oblivion and has never turned any corner in his 6 seasons, coming off the worst one yet. Kinda like take our major health risk, our crap, and our underachiever.

That said I wouldn't really miss any of them just have the concern of taking back equally valued crap and not gaining much of anything in the end.

As for Trouba I think he's the kind of guy who's eating himself alive this offseason, probably more so that anyone else.  Even more than we're dumping on him. I would bet he comes back with an attitude fueled by intense pride both in himself and wearing the C. We will see the absolute best he has to offer, the obvious concern is he is washed beyond repair.  It's also not his fault for the bag he was gifted.  But I would bet he outworks everyone else coming into next season no matter where he is.

1 hour ago, Scott said:

What would the potential players coming back this way look like?

I think it would be rather limited because we're giving them Chytil a guy coming of major head injury lost season (while also having only one season over 23 points in 6). Trouba, a big ticket 3rd pair guy and Kakko who can posses the puck into oblivion and has never turned any corner in his 6 seasons, coming off the worst one yet. Kinda like take our major health risk, our crap, and our underachiever.

That said I wouldn't really miss any of them just have the concern of taking back equally valued crap and not gaining much of anything in the end.

As for Trouba I think he's the kind of guy who's eating himself alive this offseason, probably more so that anyone else.  Even more than we're dumping on him. I would bet he comes back with an attitude fueled by intense pride both in himself and wearing the C. We will see the absolute best he has to offer, the obvious concern is he is washed beyond repair.  It's also not his fault for the bag he was gifted.  But I would bet he outworks everyone else coming into next season no matter where he is.

Def not looking for a great return. Moreso changing the locker room. I'm not trying to say it's a great package. I'm saying, it would definitely take care of the morale and team dynamic. Show me an underperforming forward with offensive upside and snarl and I'll give you all of them.

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Chytil is untradeable in my estimation, unless they find another young center with top 6 potential. There is nothing in the pipeline

Not at center.

You have to hold onto Chytil and just hope for and do your best to keep him healthy.

Unless they make a move for Zegras.

I love Zegras’ talent… but his immaturity and attitude are questionable and he doesn’t bring what they’re looking for.

But he’s amazingly skilled and explosive offensively. 

50 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Chytil is untradeable in my estimation, unless they find another young center with top 6 potential. There is nothing in the pipeline

Agree, this is why I don't think his usage in the playoffs really had anything to do with them being worried about I'm getting hurt again.

This is a classic symbiotic relationship, the The team desperately needs it to work, and so does he. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

I don't think this team gets better by trading Chytil right now.  Not unless the other side is willing to completely discount the concussion history.

Trouba is addition by subtraction because his cap hit is just too large at this point with other guys coming due.

Kakko is either addition by subtraction, assuming the Rangers are planning to give him a top 6 slot next season or just fine to keep assuming he and the Rangers can reach a reasonable deal with the plan being him on the third line next season.

7 hours ago, Br4d said:

I don't think this team gets better by trading Chytil right now.  Not unless the other side is willing to completely discount the concussion history.

Trouba is addition by subtraction because his cap hit is just too large at this point with other guys coming due.

Kakko is either addition by subtraction, assuming the Rangers are planning to give him a top 6 slot next season or just fine to keep assuming he and the Rangers can reach a reasonable deal with the plan being him on the third line next season.

He had a top 6 slot last year but couldn't make it work. Personally, I think removing the 2nd OA sideshow from the team dynamic helps change the locker room and narrative around the team. 

Ok, let's keep Chytil and see how that goes this year. Maybe he can continue his upward trajectory. His injuries have hampered him but he still has great potential.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

He had a top 6 slot last year but couldn't make it work. Personally, I think removing the 2nd OA sideshow from the team dynamic helps change the locker room and narrative around the team. 

Ok, let's keep Chytil and see how that goes this year. Maybe he can continue his upward trajectory. His injuries have hampered him but he still has great potential.

There couldn't be less of a reason to move on from Kakko aside from fans. He's not a detriment to the team, and he's cheap. 

The second you trade him you're going to be trying to replace him, and the person who replaces him won't have any of the offensive upside. 

Regardless of how bad he was this season, he still had a 40-point season last year from the third line with no power play time. People were blowing Lafreniere for that. 

I could be wrong, but I feel like if we drafted Kakko in the 4th round we would not be having this conversation.  The only merit to it is he might fetch a slightly bigger return because he was a 2OA but not enough to move on from him. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

42 minutes ago, Bieser said:

I could be wrong, but I feel like if we drafted Kakko in the 4th round we would not be having this conversation.  The only merit to it is he might fetch a slightly bigger return because he was a 2OA but not enough to move on from him. 

If Kakko was a 4th rounder we'd be ok with his play and the role the Rangers had in mind for him.  The difference is that people see Kakko as having top 6 upside and the odds are he doesn't at this point.

For a 4th rounder on a 4th rounder's contract that is just fine.  For a #2OA who eats an outsized portion of attention from the team it's not.

The ironic thing about the situation is that once Kakko is firmly situated in the bottom 6 his upside comes back.  He'll probably have a season that establishes him as a middle 6 guy one of these seasons and then he'll be a value until he's past his prime.