• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Igor Shesterkin Could Aim for Historic Contract After Dominant Playoff Run

7 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

so the options are sign Shesty and gut the team or let him go and shore up on offense and defense.  Not really a tough decision

PuckPedia is just less transparent than CF was and requires more moving around (so my numbers are fudgy), but I believe that if we trade Trouba and accept all the contracts as per the Athletic (which is a big if on both fronts), we'd have around 18M to figure out 9-ish roster spots. When you start thinking it out and realizing that four of those spots are probably Othmann, Berard, Mancini, and Perreault, and three more are probably Cuylle, Rempe, Edstrom - you're probably looking at something closer to 9m for a backup goalie, a bottom pair D, and a mid-six wing. That's a world where a resurgent Kakko could thrive, for example.

But damn, do you ever need the kids to hit in this world.

13 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I don't think the Rangers have a prayer at getting Laf for an AAV of $7M unless he stays at the same level he was at last year and I think he's going to beat that by a bunch.

I'm thinking $12M AAV is the figure we'll see *if* we're really happy with him after this year and I think we will be.

Lafreniere making $2M less than Draisaitl and $2M more than Fox? Not a chance. 

• Bullseye 1

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

Just not a reasonable thought when put into context. Of course we want him to be a superstar however even is he adds 20 pts to last year's totals, it still isn't even a PPG. If he replicates last year, I think 7mil will be the AAV. If he does make a 20 point jump again, then I think we are looking at an 8-8.5 mil AAV.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

If he has the season I think he's going to have he's going to be worth more than Fox.

Edit: if you think 80 points minus power play time is not going to be $12M a year you are dreaming.

Edited by Br4d

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Everytime I read this thread, I feel like I'm gonna fucking hurl....

If we handle Trouba everything else will work out.  If we don't it's going to be extremely dicey for a couple of seasons.

My biggest fear for the next few years is that we can't lock Laf down as he matures and we're stuck in a terrible negotiating position with him as he nears UFA.

17 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Just not a reasonable thought when put into context. Of course we want him to be a superstar however even is he adds 20 pts to last year's totals, it still isn't even a PPG. If he replicates last year, I think 7mil will be the AAV. If he does make a 20 point jump again, then I think we are looking at an 8-8.5 mil AAV.

If Laf adds 20 pts to last years total without regular PP time he's going to get that big number next year if the Rangers want to sign him.

If they give him PP1 time and he adds 40 points to last years total he's going to get a top 5 contract.

It's NY.  It's really expensive to keep the real deal around in NY.

13 minutes ago, Br4d said:

If Laf adds 20 pts to last years total without regular PP time he's going to get that big number next year if the Rangers want to sign him.

If they give him PP1 time and he adds 40 points to last years total he's going to get a top 5 contract.

If he adds 40 points this year, I'll go with 10 mil/year. JT Miller makes 8 mil. I get Laf is much younger but I'm not sure he demands that 12 mil tag or a top 5 contract.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

I don't think the Rangers have a prayer at getting Laf for an AAV of $7M unless he stays at the same level he was at last year and I think he's going to beat that by a bunch.

I'm thinking $12M AAV is the figure we'll see *if* we're really happy with him after this year and I think we will be.

Bro, wat?

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Right, so that's why I don't care what they trade him for. Maybe a second at the draft for negotiating rights. I have no idea, nor am I as concerned with the return as I am with not sinking ~$14M in the goaltending position. 

Yes… but even without him they still have an excellent team… so you should be concerned. 

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Laf is going to add 15-20 points this year.

I think it’s a forgone conclusion.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

If he has the season I think he's going to have he's going to be worth more than Fox.

Edit: if you think 80 points minus power play time is not going to be $12M a year you are dreaming.

If you think any organization is going to pay players based on hypothetical points that they may or may not have had based on minutes that they don't get, I don't think I'm the only one who's dreaming. 

17 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yes… but even without him they still have an excellent team… so you should be concerned. 

I don't get what you mean.

The return is what it is, it will never be worth the player however the reason you do it is because the benefit is not paying your goaltender position 14 million.

Edited by Pete

5 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Laf is going to add 15-20 points this year.

I think it’s a forgone conclusion.

Depends on PP1 time.  I think he adds 30+ if he gets that.

I'm getting a 40 goal/40 assist vibe at this point looking at his progression so far.  That's without a lot of PP1 time.

37 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't get what you mean.

The return is what it is, it will never be worth the player however the reason you do it is because the benefit is not paying your goaltender position 14 million.

Which I’ve already said.

And I’m not mentally retarded.

So I get that.

My point is that the return “can’t just be what it is.”

But I guess never mind 

Hey Pete… I have a ball. Would you like to bounce the ball?

Maybe chase it?

Want me to throw it and you go get it and bring it back to me?

And then we can do it again????

41 minutes ago, Pete said:

If you think any organization is going to pay players based on hypothetical points that they may or may not have had based on minutes that they don't get, I don't think I'm the only one who's dreaming. 

If the Rangers don't give Laf PP1 time and try to cost-contain him that way in that time he'll be in Montreal in 3 years.

Just watch.

14 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Which I’ve already said.

And I’m not mentally retarded.

So I get that.

My point is that the return “can’t just be what it is.”

But I guess never mind 

Hey Pete… I have a ball. Would you like to bounce the ball?

Maybe chase it?

Want me to throw it and you go get it and bring it back to me?

And then we can do it again????

Weird Guy GIF by ION

❤️