• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Igor Shesterkin Could Aim for Historic Contract After Dominant Playoff Run

40 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

1) Markstrom has a NMC.  So, the Flames may not trade him anyway.

2) Shesterkin was a big reason why the Rangers did as well as they did.  It pays to lock him up now.

What would be the ideal return on Igor if you had to trade him at the deadline?

26 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Fair question. Does anyone think this team even sniff sthe 3rd round if they had nearly ANY other goalie in the entire world with the roster the way it is? 

No, But the roster would be even worse if Igor was making 11 million a year. 

You want to pay Laf because you've always been a believer, but that money needs to come from somewhere...

• Keeps it 100 2

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

You want to pay Laf because you've always been a believer, but that money needs to come from somewhere...

$11M for Shesterkin would be too high.  $7M per year range would be ideal.

We gotta lock up Laf too.  And before training camp.

44 minutes ago, Pete said:

I don't want to pay Laf because I'm a believer. I want to pay him because he's worth building around. Of course the money for both needs to be accounted for by trimming some in other places. I think that's pretty obvious, unless there is a massive salary ceiling bump.  

38 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

$11M for Shesterkin would be too high.  $7M per year range would be ideal.

We gotta lock up Laf too.  And before training camp.

There is zero % chance that Igor signs for 7 m considering g there are goalies making much more. He's certainly not signing for less than his buddy Sorokin signed for at 8.25m

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Keirik said:

There is zero % chance that Igor signs for 7 m considering g there are goalies making much more. He's certainly not signing for less than his buddy Sorokin signed for at 8.25m

Dude is gunna wanna make Bob $$. If this team panders to another goalie; Im not gunna be happy. I'm not tied to Shesterkin like I was Hank; might be time to move along if his demands are that high. He will end up in NJ.....ugh.

29 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Dude is gunna wanna make Bob $$. If this team panders to another goalie; Im not gunna be happy. I'm not tied to Shesterkin like I was Hank; might be time to move along if his demands are that high. He will end up in NJ.....ugh.

$10-$11M per year would be way too high.  Anywhere between $8M-9M would be ok.

If the Oilers win the cup, then the following goalies would've lead their teams to the last three cups: Darcy Kuemper, Adin Hill and Stuart Skinner. It's the team, not one outstanding goalie that matters most. It's fantastic to have a goalie like Shesterkin, Bobrovsky oder Vasilevskiy. But if your team isn't build for the playoffs, they won't save you. 

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 minute ago, Mistercosmic said:

If the Oilers win the cup, then the following goalies would've lead their teams to the last three cups: Darcy Kuemper, Adin Hill and Stuart Skinner. It's the team, not one outstanding goalie that matters most. It's fantastic to have a goalie like Shesterkin, Bobrovsky oder Vasilevskiy. But if your team isn't build for the playoffs, they won't save you. 

We can go that route. But to me it’s recency bias. Before the last 3 years, you had Vasi, Binnington bursting onto the scene, Holtby at his best, etc.

I get the argument. I do. But a lot of those teams had ready-made built powerhouses in front of them. Vegas had it. Chicago had it with Crawford. Colorado had it. And some of those teams played a lot of time together before getting to the top.

If you can get him at 8.5-9, with the cap going up, I’d do it. We are in a better spot with him now than we ever were with Henrik as far as a team in front of him goes IMO.

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

10 years, $87.5 Million. $8.75 cap hit. With the cap going up to possibly $92 Million in just 2 years, this would be manageable and fair.

Igor is UFA after his current contract. Max he can be offered is 7 years. 

RFAs can be offered a maximum of 8 years. 

8 hours ago, Keirik said:

Another issue with walking away really is how it will also affect the way this team plays if the core is mostly the same. They are basically in year x of knowing they can get away with a certain style since Igor will always bail them out. I have confidence that a guy like Lavy could potentially change that style, but you're talking quite a long learning curve and i'm not sure this team has the time and capacity to do so in this window. 

Fair question. Does anyone think this team even sniff sthe 3rd round if they had nearly ANY other goalie in the entire world with the roster the way it is? 

No I think the ship sinks way way earlier than it did if I goes not standing on his head.nor even close in my book and opinion 

• Bullseye 1

8 hours ago, Keirik said:

I don't want to pay Laf because I'm a believer. I want to pay him because he's worth building around. Of course the money for both needs to be accounted for by trimming some in other places. I think that's pretty obvious, unless there is a massive salary ceiling bump.  

Right but my point is that riding the goalie has not led to success for this team anymore than playing a finesse style has. 

If you want to improve the roster, there's a limit to what you can pay the goalie. 

I've already seen what happens when you give the goalie an excessive amount of cap. You definitely deserves to be the highest paid goalie in the NHL, but that doesn't mean the Rangers have to pay him. I'd rather spend that money on positional players where the team doesn't need to rely on otherworldly goaltending in the playoffs. 

The funny thing is for a large portion of the season, Igor was a league average goalie but the team was a first place team in front of him. All that got flipped around in the playoffs.

Edmonton isn't paying their goalie a ton, and Florida is overpaying their goalie to face 20 shots a night. 

The league is telling you something. Maybe it's time to listen. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Right but my point is that riding the goalie has not led to success for this team anymore than playing a finesse style has. 

If you want to improve the roster, there's a limit to what you can pay the goalie. 

I've already seen what happens when you give the goalie an excessive amount of cap. You definitely deserves to be the highest paid goalie in the NHL, but that doesn't mean the Rangers have to pay him. I'd rather spend that money on positional players where the team doesn't need to rely on otherworldly goaltending in the playoffs. 

The funny thing is for a large portion of the season, Igor was a league average goalie but the team was a first place team in front of him. All that got flipped around in the playoffs.

Edmonton isn't paying their goalie a ton, and Florida is overpaying their goalie to face 20 shots a night. 

The league is telling you something. Maybe it's time to listen. 

Maybe yes, maybe no. If the league is telling you something, it's that there definitely is more than one way to reach the pinnacle. Tampa won with one of the highest paid goalies (cup 2 he was) and Florida is in its second final in a row with one of the highest paid goalies. Obviously the counter are guys like Skinner, Hill, Kuemper et Al. To me though, that just means that if you aren't getting an elite goalie, you better have a roster filled with guys that are guaranteed to elevate their performances come April+. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Rangers1994 said:

1) Markstrom has a NMC.  So, the Flames may not trade him anyway.

2) Shesterkin was a big reason why the Rangers did as well as they did.  It pays to lock him up now.

Markstrom has 2 years left on that deal and NMC's aren't an end-all-be-all.  They can be waived....especially to get the hell outta Calgary!  😃

11 hours ago, Rangers1994 said:

I wouldn't. I'd lock him up for 2-3 years at $7M per season.

He's NEVER gonna sign for $7 million AND more term than 3 years.  He's gonna go for 7...NO DOUBT!  ...He's gonna get upwards of $10-$11 million easily.  Especially after this playoff run.

9 hours ago, Rangers1994 said:

$10-$11M per year would be way too high.  Anywhere between $8M-9M would be ok.

....Keep going!  When you hit $11 million he'll start to listen.

I'm getting ready for the inevitable, my good man.  Igor is a fabulous player...probably one of the best to come down the pike since Hank.  But he ain't stayin for that much.  We're gonna have to let too much talent go to pay him.

I'd rather us keep guys that are differnce makers, where we won't need a 4x6 piece of plywood in front of the net every game.  Adin Hill won a Cup last year....as a matter of fact every team that's won a cup so far has done it without a guy named Igor.

So it's possible to win it.  The team needs the right chemistry and balance to do so.  We have to be careful as to where we spend our cap.  Drury knows what to do;  Whether it's to sign him or not, and for how much....Dru will make it so, and I trust him.

Edited by Ozzy

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Maybe yes, maybe no. If the league is telling you something, it's that there definitely is more than one way to reach the pinnacle. Tampa won with one of the highest paid goalies (cup 2 he was) and Florida is in its second final in a row with one of the highest paid goalies. Obviously the counter are guys like Skinner, Hill, Kuemper et Al. To me though, that just means that if you aren't getting an elite goalie, you better have a roster filled with guys that are guaranteed to elevate their performances come April+. 

There are more cases of goalies who aren't paid well winning than there are cases of the highest paid goalie winning, even Tampa Bay had Kuch on LTIR when Vasi was making bank.

Last year Florida went to the final and Alex Lyon ended the season and started the playoffs for them. Given the fact that Bobrovsky only has to make about 20 saves a game if that, and knowing that they have to resign Reinhardt, Florida probably wishes they weren't spending $10 million on a goalie. 

At the end of the day if your team is built properly from the back end out, you don't have to spend that much on a goalie. That is the model I would rather follow.

Can you make the goalie the highest paid player on your team? Sure. Should you? The league says you don't need to spend that much on a goalie to win, so why would you?

Edited by Pete

My guess is Igor isn’t interested in a hometown discount that means anything either. At most maybe it’s .25-.5 million per year less. It’ll still be in the 11 range. I hope they don’t pay it. That leaves the options as 1) trade him this summer, or 2) keep him one more year and let him walk UFA.

If I had more confidence in the group of players, I’d possibly favor #2 to go for a Cup, but I don’t. Drury has to do the ballsy thing here. Someone will pay a big price to trade for him and extend him. Someone frustrated enough with their own goalie issues.

Also consider if you just let him walk to free agency, the chances of him going right across the river to NJ is strong. With a trade, you can dictate a little bit where he’s going.

• Bullseye 1

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

My guess is Igor isn’t interested in a hometown discount that means anything either. At most maybe it’s .25-.5 million per year less. It’ll still be in the 11 range. I hope they don’t pay it. That leaves the options as 1) trade him this summer, or 2) keep him one more year and let him walk UFA.

If I had more confidence in the group of players, I’d possibly favor #2 to go for a Cup, but I don’t. Drury has to do the ballsy thing here. Someone will pay a big price to trade for him and extend him. Someone frustrated enough with their own goalie issues.

Also consider if you just let him walk to free agency, the chances of him going right across the river to NJ is strong. With a trade, you can dictate a little bit where he’s going.

and you would think it would have to be to a Western Conference team so he doesn't bite us in the ass in the ECF down the road.