• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Igor Shesterkin Could Aim for Historic Contract After Dominant Playoff Run

22 hours ago, Pete said:

I don't think you understand what you're saying 

What I meant to say was that couldn't the Rangers just give a raise in the final year of his contract from $5.5M to $9M and then give a 3-4 year extension of $9M per year?

16 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

What I meant to say was that couldn't the Rangers just give a raise in the final year of his contract from $5.5M to $9M and then give a 3-4 year extension of $9M per year?

No, you can't just change the terms of a contract midstream. It would have to come through an extension. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5573291/2024/06/20/rangers-igor-shesterkin-contract/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983&userId=1555454

At his absolute best, Shesterkin is a goalie worthy of a $12 million valuation. That’s his ceiling. At his worst, he comes in at $9 million. That’s his floor. Split the difference and you arrive at perhaps the best possible answer — $10.5 million. Add an extra $100K and it’s still a record-setting deal, but one with a slightly more manageable risk profile.

There’s plenty of risk involved in dedicating a huge chunk of cap space to a goalie in general, but that doesn’t mean it shouldn’t ever be done. Some goalies are more than worth it and Shesterkin certainly fits the bill.

There are legitimate concerns regarding just how hefty that bill should be, but Shesterkin looks like the rare breed that won’t have much problem footing it. He’s not just a franchise goalie, he is the franchise.

I'm sure it will get done, but his camp is pretty adamant about that 12 million price tag, so I guess we'll see. Even 10.5 is a lot for a goalie, but I still think he's back at somewhere around there anyway. I know some of us may not be thrilled about a goalie taking that much cap, but I still think it's happening. lol

25 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I'm sure it will get done, but his camp is pretty adamant about that 12 million price tag, so I guess we'll see. Even 10.5 is a lot for a goalie, but I still think he's back at somewhere around there anyway. I know some of us may not be thrilled about a goalie taking that much cap, but I still think it's happening. lol

$10-10.5 is as high as they can go.

And that’s a fair number. 

15 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

$10-10.5 is as high as they can go.

And that’s a fair number. 

Very fair, yes. lol I think it gets done.

7 minutes ago, Br4d said:

If we're not going to sign him the question is when is the best time to trade him?

I think they will sign him. If they don't, then maybe during the season or something after he's even better in a contract season. lol

10 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

Don't like the write up and don't agree with it. I've never loved Shesterkin honestly. He's great when he's on but he whines, flops, and throws temper tantrums. I find none of those qualities endearing. I wouldn't touch a price tag at 10 mil. At best, very most 9.5 but I don't even like spending that much on him and another 1-2 my mil for a backup. Crazy to have that much tied up in two goalies.

21 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

This is the truth.

The Rangers don't get north of 100 pts the last 3 seasons with an average goalie.  They don't go to the ECF two out of the last 3 years either.

We're too close to see the forest for the trees here.  Igor *is* the Ranger's window right now.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

24 minutes ago, Br4d said:

This is the truth.

The Rangers don't get north of 100 pts the last 3 seasons with an average goalie.  They don't go to the ECF two out of the last 3 years either.

We're too close to see the forest for the trees here.  Igor *is* the Ranger's window right now.

That doesn't justify paying Shesterkin $12 million per year.  Ideally, $45 million for 5 years should do.

• Like 1

Just now, Rangers1994 said:

That doesn't justify paying Shesterkin $12 million per year.  Ideally, $45 million for 5 years should do.

It doesn't matter what it justifies.  I'm just pointing out that without Igor this team is just an also ran who will get dumped in the first couple rounds of the playoffs.

If the Rangers want to compete at a high level without Igor they have a huge amount of work to do and they're going to have to start with dynamite at ground level to succeed.

Right now the Rangers have to decide what their intentions are for next season and for the declining phase of this window.

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

This is the truth.

Igor was average last regular season. 

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

It doesn't matter what it justifies.  I'm just pointing out that without Igor this team is just an also ran who will get dumped in the first couple rounds of the playoffs.

If the Rangers want to compete at a high level without Igor they have a huge amount of work to do and they're going to have to start with dynamite at ground level to succeed.

Right now the Rangers have to decide what their intentions are for next season and for the declining phase of this window.

The same people who are saying "Give Igor whatever he wants" Will be complaining in 3 years that's the team can't win because they're paying the goalie too much. 

The Rangers have been fortunate to have a world class goalie for half market value the same as Florida was lucky to have Reinhart and Verhaege for half market. 

The second Florida pays market value for goal scoring, they lose the ability to pay their goalie 10.5.

As soon as the Rangers pay Igor 10.5 You better hope they're getting 40 goals and 100 points from guys making $4-$6 million a year. Basically 3-4 Kreider type deals with Kreider type production, at 24 instead of 29.

Good. Luck. With. That. 

And you're all ready to hand Lafreniere the bag this summer...gonna make for an interesting cap crunch down the line.

Edited by Pete

I wouldn't be surprised if Drury hasn't mentioned Igor in a trade for this off season.  If we could land a solid goalie, I bet we could use Igor to fill some glaring weaknesses.  I mean, if Edmonton can get to the Finals with fucking Skinner, I don't think we need an all-world, $12 million goalie to carry us.

I'm not watching this team spend a trillion in goaltending again, just have some futile offense and sit around all night in our own zone blocking shots and banking pucks off the fucking glass just to change lines that have been on the ice for 2 minutes chasing pucks around our own zone!

I say trade his ass now, and avoid all this bullshit.  Igor's great...YES! 

$12 million/year....how about fuck off!

• Cheers 1
  • Applause 2

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Drury hasn't mentioned Igor in a trade for this off season.  If we could land a solid goalie, I bet we could use Igor to fill some glaring weaknesses.  I mean, if Edmonton can get to the Finals with fucking Skinner, I don't think we need an all-world, $12 million goalie to carry us.

I'm not watching this team spend a trillion in goaltending again, just have some futile offense and sit around all night in our own zone blocking shots and banking pucks off the fucking glass just to change lines that have been on the ice for 2 minutes chasing pucks around our own zone!

I say trade his ass now, and avoid all this bullshit.  Igor's great...YES! 

$12 million/year....how about fuck off!

You know this so I am just kind of reminding you:  Edmonton doesn't sniff the SCF without McDavid.  They're probably not in the playoffs at all without him.

2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

You know this so I am just kind of reminding you:  Edmonton doesn't sniff the SCF without McDavid.  They're probably not in the playoffs at all without him.

Because they're giving him 12 million and they're not giving a goalie 12 million. 

Obviously he's the best offensive player in the world, but you have to be able to pay offense. 

We've seen teams win without paying goalies that much. So why in the world would we pay our goalie that much?

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just now, Pete said:

Yes, because they're giving him 12 million and they're not giving a goalie 12 million. 

So who would you give $12M too after we get rid of Igor and still expect to hit 100 pts and get past the second round?

Because honestly I don't see a McDavid like talent out there that will let us go with a Skinner in goal and do anything at all.

3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

So who would you give $12M too after we get rid of Igor and still expect to hit 100 pts and get past the second round?

Because honestly I don't see a McDavid like talent out there that will let us go with a Skinner in goal and do anything at all.

Well firstly, McDavid is a UFA next summer. 

But barring that, I'll go with "that's for Drury to figure out". You probably don't spend it all on one player. 

Vegas won with Aiden Hill and no McDavid. It's about building a complete team.

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

5 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I agree 100% Brad.  But, I gotta roll with the fact that if you pay a goalie $12 million, we again go down Henrik Lundqvist Boulevard and have a shitty offense, a shot-blocking, bruised legged defense and we score maybe 2.47 goals a game.

I've learned from the past on this shit, my man.

Let's spend that money on building a wall in front of our goalie, that tests him maybe 10 times a game instead of 45.

I figured out the best way to defend;  Have the puck more often than the other team.  We learned that from Florida yet again this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

I agree 100% Brad.  But, I gotta roll with the fact that if you pay a goalie $12 million, we again go down Henrik Lundqvist Boulevard and have a shitty offense, a shot-blocking, bruised legged defense and we score maybe 2.47 goals a game.

I've learned from the past on this shit, my man.

Let's spend that money on building a wall in front of our goalie, that tests him maybe 10 times a game instead of 45.

I figured out the best way to defend;  Have the puck more often than the other team.  We learned that from Florida yet again this year.

Right. 

Here's what I don't understand...(And I'm going to make it a bulleted list even though some people complain about bullets, because bullets are easier to read and digest for most people) 

• People complain about a reliance on Igor 
  • People also complain about the highest paid players not showing up in the playoffs 
  • The same people want to make Igor or one of the highest paid players on the team
  • That creates a situation where you have no choice but to rely on Igor because you didn't have money to improve the rest of the lineup 
  • What happens if Igor slumps in the playoffs? 

Igor has had some great playoffs recently, but early on he had some stinkers. He's prone to getting in his own head. 

There is risk involved. The assumption that you're going to get a Conn Smyth level performance from Igor in every playoff is as big as the assumption that you're going to get an MVP level regular season from Panarin every year. 

• Keeps it 100 1