• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Igor Shesterkin Could Aim for Historic Contract After Dominant Playoff Run

For the record, fellas....I gave this some thought and I gotta say that I admire Igor, and I think the world of him.  But seriously, he's priced himself out.

He's arguably our best bargaining chip in a trade, and if you guys wanna bring back a player that has some impact like a Brady Tkachuk, Igor is a guy that might....MIGHT move the needle.  I particularly don't give a shit about Brady, but I know a few of you guys have a like for him.  That's cool, but I just don't see him in the same light as his brother.

Letting Igor walk in free agency isn't gonna happen.  Drury is way too slick to let that happen.  Right now Igor has about as much value as I think he's ever going to have.  The guy is all-world and he's got a year left on his deal.  That gives a team that's "a goalie away" from the Cup a chance to cough up some very good players in order to address their "need".

Now keep in mind we'd need a solid goalie in return, because we're still going to be a contender.

I realize this is all a long shot type scenario though.  I really don't think Igor is going to get traded.  All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be shocked to see us shopping him over the summer.  Crazier things have and can happen.  But if you guys wanna see improvements in this lineup, we're going to have to spend that money in places other than goaltending.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Right. 

Here's what I don't understand...(And I'm going to make it a bulleted list even though some people complain about bullets, because bullets are easier to read and digest for most people) 

• People complain about a reliance on Igor 
  • People also complain about the highest paid players not showing up in the playoffs 
  • The same people want to make Igor or one of the highest paid players on the team
  • That creates a situation where you have no choice but to rely on Igor because you didn't have money to improve the rest of the lineup 
  • What happens if Igor slumps in the playoffs? 

Igor has had some great playoffs recently, but early on he had some stinkers. He's prone to getting in his own head. 

There is risk involved. The assumption that you're going to get a Conn Smyth level performance from Igor in every playoff is as big as the assumption that you're going to get an MVP level regular season from Panarin every year. 

Yup....you beat me to it!!!  LOL

It's a little bit of a catch-22. 

He's probably the best goalie in the world, but we already know that goalies can't win championships on their own. At the same time - you can have a great team that just dies on the vine for a lack of a goalie.

You can't win in the NHL without players contributing beyond their cap numbers. Many of them. Where in the roster they lie is another story, but you need overperformers to win.

• Like 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

I'll also ask why we couldn't do something like 8 years, 76m with Igor.

Start him at 13m, 1m a year less for the duration of the deal. 9.5 hit. Dude gets 46m for the first four years of the deal, 30m for the next 4. 

37 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

For the record, fellas....I gave this some thought and I gotta say that I admire Igor, and I think the world of him.  But seriously, he's priced himself out.

He's arguably our best bargaining chip in a trade, and if you guys wanna bring back a player that has some impact like a Brady Tkachuk, Igor is a guy that might....MIGHT move the needle.  I particularly don't give a shit about Brady, but I know a few of you guys have a like for him.  That's cool, but I just don't see him in the same light as his brother.

Letting Igor walk in free agency isn't gonna happen.  Drury is way too slick to let that happen.  Right now Igor has about as much value as I think he's ever going to have.  The guy is all-world and he's got a year left on his deal.  That gives a team that's "a goalie away" from the Cup a chance to cough up some very good players in order to address their "need".

Now keep in mind we'd need a solid goalie in return, because we're still going to be a contender.

I realize this is all a long shot type scenario though.  I really don't think Igor is going to get traded.  All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be shocked to see us shopping him over the summer.  Crazier things have and can happen.  But if you guys wanna see improvements in this lineup, we're going to have to spend that money in places other than goaltending.

I agree! But I don't see how the Rangers don't get worse in the short term if they trade Igor. They go as far as he carries them in the playoffs. The Hurricanes at the very least would be very happy if he got traded away lol. I am totally OK and onboard if Drury does this, but it does make them worse next season and is a forward looking move to the future, probably two years or so down the line. At that point, you're waiving the white flag on Panarin's last 2 years, and you might as well trade Kreider to strengthen the future roster.

This is why Drury has to pick a lane between win now versus refactor. Each decision is tied to what follow up decisions should look like. Trading Igor would be a massive, massive move and indication he's fucking done with this core.

• Believe 1

7 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I agree! But I don't see how the Rangers don't get worse in the short term if they trade Igor. They go as far as he carries them in the playoffs. The Hurricanes at the very least would be very happy if he got traded away lol. I am totally OK and onboard if Drury does this, but it does make them worse next season and is a forward looking move to the future, probably two years or so down the line. At that point, you're waiving the white flag on Panarin's last 2 years, and you might as well trade Kreider to strengthen the future roster.

This is why Drury has to pick a lane between win now versus refactor. Each decision is tied to what follow up decisions should look like. Trading Igor would be a massive, massive move and indication he's fucking done with this core.

The Rangers are immediately, without question, a worse team without Igor Shesterkin. That's not debatable. We would be going from the best goalie in the world to...not the best goalie in the world. Downgrade. No questions asked. And there's no solution on the market unless you trade for a goalie. We'd almost assuredly be rolling with Quick and Garand. Not to knock Quick, but he's 39, and he's not Igor Shesterkin. Garand might be a perfectly cromulent goalie, but all indications are that he's not ready.

The return and usage of the cap space freed up, however, could offset a good deal of that. The question shifts - it becomes whether we could defend well enough to offset the goaltending quality drop—or outscore it.

46 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think it'd all depend on what we get in return.  If we could get back an overwhelming haul, which included a goalie that can be solid, and also a player, or players that add more youth, speed, scoring and grit, I think we'd have to look at it.

The thing that I really would like to stay away from is that we go down that same road we did with Hank.  It doesn't work, and it won't work again in my opinion.  Accepting that fact leaves no other option but to deal Igor at some point.  Whether it's during the summer, during the season or at the TDL next March.

It really all depends on the return, and I think Igor can bring back a lot!  He may be more valuable as a trade piece than a player this season.  I can't see him getting any better than he was this year in the playoffs.  In my eyes, he's about as good as he's gonna get, and if the object is to "sell high", I think this is as high as it gets for him.

54 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I think it'd all depend on what we get in return.  If we could get back an overwhelming haul, which included a goalie that can be solid, and also a player, or players that add more youth, speed, scoring and grit, I think we'd have to look at it.

The thing that I really would like to stay away from is that we go down that same road we did with Hank.  It doesn't work, and it won't work again in my opinion.  Accepting that fact leaves no other option but to deal Igor at some point.  Whether it's during the summer, during the season or at the TDL next March.

It really all depends on the return, and I think Igor can bring back a lot!  He may be more valuable as a trade piece than a player this season.  I can't see him getting any better than he was this year in the playoffs.  In my eyes, he's about as good as he's gonna get, and if the object is to "sell high", I think this is as high as it gets for him.

I don't think it's smart to go into the season without Igor locked up. If he's not locked up, it's the question over everyone's head all season. If he overperforms, he's negotiating with more in his column, including some cap clarity. If the team underperforms and it's time to move him, we get less. There's a lot of good reasons to decide this now.

As a trade goes - I think that's really, really hard to conceptualize when you start drawing out the parameters:

• From a Rangers perspective, the team needs to have key assets. It's probably something like "young-ish roster player, ideally RW or LD," or "high-end prospect" 1st - that's the enter-the-discussion package.
  • I'd also limit to Western Conference - I want absolutely no chance of Igor shutting our window.
  • Then, from their perspective, it's "needs goalie", "can pay Igor", "ready to take that step".
  • Then, from Igor's perspective - to maximize value, it's gotta include "I want to play there"

That closes up the aperture here. Seattle might fit, LA might fit, Utah might fit, and maybe the Blues if we were taking Binnington back in the deal. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I don't think it's smart to go into the season without Igor locked up. If he's not locked up, it's the question over everyone's head all season. If he overperforms, he's negotiating with more in his column, including some cap clarity. If the team underperforms and it's time to move him, we get less. There's a lot of good reasons to decide this now.

As a trade goes - I think that's really, really hard to conceptualize when you start drawing out the parameters:

• From a Rangers perspective, the team needs to have key assets. It's probably something like "young-ish roster player, ideally RW or LD," or "high-end prospect" 1st - that's the enter-the-discussion package.
  • I'd also limit to Western Conference - I want absolutely no chance of Igor shutting our window.
  • Then, from their perspective, it's "needs goalie", "can pay Igor", "ready to take that step".
  • Then, from Igor's perspective - to maximize value, it's gotta include "I want to play there"

That closes up the aperture here. Seattle might fit, LA might fit, Utah might fit, and maybe the Blues if we were taking Binnington back in the deal. 

I'm on board with pretty much everything here, G man!  It's also the reason I posted in the other thread that I wouldn't be surprised if Drury's already listening to offers on him.

But yeah, everything you said here is pretty solid, my man!

On 6/21/2024 at 10:42 AM, BrooksBurner said:

I'm going to go with the org only knows one lane and that's to try and win now not step back for a couple years regardless of what the cost, call it short sighted or whatever.  Personally I like that my team is always foot on the gas. They may not win the ultimate prize but it's not because they're sizing it up to be ultra competitive 3-4 years down the road. There's no guarantees either way though in stating the obvious. This core may not have what it takes going forward but again selling out and banking on unknowns (as in they haven't done it here before and for some not even at this level anywhere) carries the same risk and arguably an even bigger risk of not being one of the top teams in the league with a shot at the cup.  All that said shedding Trouba's salary would be massive if they could reallocate that money.  I don't even dislike the guy other than he's massively overpaid and had a really shitty season. Can he play better, I think so will it ever match his cap hit, nope.

Edited by Scott

15 hours ago, Scott said:

I'm going to go with the org only knows one lane and that's to try and win now not step back for a couple years regardless of what the cost, call it short sighted short sighted or whatever.  Personally I like that my team is always foot on the gas. They may not win the ultimate prize but it's not because they're sizing it up to be ultra competitive 3-4 years down the road. There's no guarantees either way though in stating the obvious. This core may not have what it takes going forward but again selling out and banking on unknowns (as in they haven't done it here before and for some not even at this level anywhere) carries the same risk and arguably an even bigger risk of not being one of the top teams in the league with a shot at the cup.  All that said shedding Trouba's salary would be massive if they could reallocate that money.  I don't even dislike the guy other than he's massively overpaid and had a really shitty season. Can he play better, I think so will it ever match his cap hit, nope.

I agree. The team is already set pretty much for next season. Couple of upgrades in RW and C positions and they could challenge for the cup again. After next season is when you try to make all the changes. 

• Keeps it 100 1

6 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

I agree. The team is already set pretty much for next season. Couple of upgrades in RW and C positions and they could challenge for the cup again. After next season is when you try to make all the changes. 

How about defense?  They need cohesive speed, forecheck, and backcheck.

11 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Why are you making sense today, after like 15 years of not?

• Applause 1

15 hours ago, Scott said:

I'm going to go with the org only knows one lane and that's to try and win now not step back for a couple years regardless of what the cost, call it short sighted short sighted or whatever.  Personally I like that my team is always foot on the gas. They may not win the ultimate prize but it's not because they're sizing it up to be ultra competitive 3-4 years down the road. There's no guarantees either way though in stating the obvious. This core may not have what it takes going forward but again selling out and banking on unknowns (as in they haven't done it here before and for some not even at this level anywhere) carries the same risk and arguably an even bigger risk of not being one of the top teams in the league with a shot at the cup.  All that said shedding Trouba's salary would be massive if they could reallocate that money.  I don't even dislike the guy other than he's massively overpaid and had a really shitty season. Can he play better, I think so will it ever match his cap hit, nope.

Pretty much aligned here. 

Every business has a 3-year plan a 5-year plan and a 10-year plan. Much more chance that today's 3 year plan gets executed than the 10-year plan.

I'm not buying any GM looking 4-5 years down the line because good chance they aren't going to be there. A GM in Drury position should:

• be icing the best roster he can today. If there are holes, see if they could be filled internally, via trade, or free agency.
  • Continue to draft the best players available. Use those players to fill holes or trade them to fill holes.
  • Don't get bent over at the deadline.

Of course they need to think about succession plans, but anything can happen. The Rangers 1 year ago probably thought they were set down the middle for years with Zib, Chytil, Trocheck. Then Zib had a down year so that's a flag, Chytil is one hit away, and It remains to be seen what Trocheck does without MVPanarin on his left. 

What happens if McDavid says the only place he wants to play is New York? 

Plans change. GMs are making moves to strengthen their organization top to bottom, they're not looking at "oh we might be bad a year or two from now, so I'm just going to start selling now to get ahead." 

That's how you find yourself in a perpetual rebuild with short compete windows, like Columbus. 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Pretty much aligned here. 

Every business has a 3-year plan a 5-year plan and a 10-year plan. Much more chance that today's 3 year plan gets executed than the 10-year plan.

I'm not buying any GM looking 4-5 years down the line because good chance they aren't going to be there. A GM in Drury position should:

• be icing the best roster he can today. If there are holes, see if they could be filled internally, via trade, or free agency.
  • Continue to draft the best players available. Use those players to fill holes or trade them to fill holes.
  • Don't get bent over at the deadline.

Of course they need to think about succession plans, but anything can happen. The Rangers 1 year ago probably thought they were set down the middle for years with Zib, Chytil, Trocheck. Then Zib had a down year so that's a flag, Chytil is one hit away, and It remains to be seen what Trocheck does without MVPanarin on his left. 

What happens if McDavid says the only place he wants to play is New York? 

Plans change. GMs are making moves to strengthen their organization top to bottom, they're not looking at "oh we might be bad a year or two from now, so I'm just going to start selling now to get ahead." 

That's how you find yourself in a perpetual rebuild with short compete windows, like Columbus. 

Yep we got holes in terms of defense,h\physicality, and speed. Drury should address them.

If the Oilers pull this off, if they win the Cup with Stuart Skinner in net a year after Vegas won it with Adin Hill, you tell me: Do the Rangers need to pay $12 million a year to ensure that Igor Shesterkin remains in New York for the next 5-8 years?

I’m not getting into stats here. There will be time for that. There is a larger issue, though, for GM Chris Drury and the ownership to consider. The Oilers’ goaltender carries a $2.6M cap hit. The Golden Knights’ goaltender a year ago carried a $2.175M cap hit. Who won the year before? Right, Colorado with Darcy Kuemper at a $4.5M cap charge.

Now, listen, maybe Sergei Bobrovsky, at $10M, will have the game of his life in Monday’s Game 7 in Sunrise, Fla., skate away with the Cup and Conn Smythe, and you’ll say — and maybe I’ll even say — you see!

But there’s this: The 2011 Bruins are the only team to win the Cup in the cap era with a goaltender who won the Vezina. That would have been Tim Thomas.

There is no reason to question Shesterkin’s value to the Rangers. If not for him, they would have … maybe lost to the Panthers? But there is a lot to consider here before the hierarchy dives headfirst into the deepest end of the pool. Skinner, Hill, Kuemper inevitably will become part of the conversation.

https://nypost.com/2024/06/22/sports/stuart-skinner-made-rangers-igor-shesterkin-dilemma-complicated/

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

There's more hockey knowledge in my toenail clippings than you could ever dream of having pal

Now I get it, you clip your toenails daily and that's where the knowledge goes. Makes sense now.