• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Igor Shesterkin Could Aim for Historic Contract After Dominant Playoff Run

6 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Ummmmm Vasilevskiy

5 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

You’re right. Im too drunk to remember 

Kuch LTIR which is oddly the same thing my wife just said to me. 

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

You trying to be funny?  Just quit..lol

I know you get upset when I talk about my wife, with you trying to be more obsessed with me than anyone else on the planet, it's the source of competition. 

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

I know you get upset when I talk about my wife, with you trying to be more obsessed with me than anyone else on the planet, it's the source of competition. 

When it comes to your wife there’s no competition 

It is believed that Shesterkin, entering the final year of his deal on a $5.667-million cap hit, is not feeling pressured to extend before next season begins. League sources have not thrown around any numbers but this one likely will be more about percentage of the salary cap rather than a “we want x-million per” situation.

Connor McDavid’s eight-year, $100-million deal, signed in July of 2017, was 16.67 percent of the cap when it began in the 2018-19 season. Carey Price’s eight-year, $84-million extension with the Canadiens, also signed in July of 2017, was 14 percent of the cap for the Canadiens when it kicked in.

That 14 percent could very well be the starting point in negotiations for Shesterkin’s camp. Based on a projected $92.4-million cap in 2025-26, that’s $12.94 million. It would be the largest deal for a goalie in NHL history and Drury might pass out if he hears that — unless he’s heard it already.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5590597/2024/06/25/rangers-guentzel-kane-shesterkin/

• Like 1

I just see all kinds of flags with him. I worry about his durability and mental toughness. He seems to let his emotions overflow and get in his own head. 

It's encouraging that he doesn't seem to be in a rush to be extended in July, with the playoffs fresh and everyone's mind. Maybe wait until January and see what's up with the team, if they stink then maybe you just trade him.

But what's going to happen between now and that extension is very interesting. Will not having a contract causes play to suffer? If he gets the bag, Is there too much pressure on him with a huge contract? 

These are things I didn't worry about with Hank. You knew what was going to be a big number but you knew what you were getting. I just don't think at this point you know what you're getting with Igor. 

Indeed. It's why one is in the Hall of Fame and one could be one day. Hank was just so damn consistent. How many times, in his prime, did we say he had a bad game, or that he had a bad or mediocre two or three months that Igor has displayed? How about never? In fact, Igor has gotten outplayed for long stretches by both of his most recent backups, Halak and Quick.

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Indeed. It's why one is in the Hall of Fame and one could be one day. Hank was just so damn consistent. How many times, in his prime, did we say he had a bad game, or that he had a bad or mediocre two or three months that Igor has displayed? How about never? In fact, Igor has gotten outplayed for long stretches by both of his most recent backups, Halak and Quick.

you have short memory.  ask @RichieNextel305 how often Lundqvist had a bad game

• LOL 1

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

lol Yeah, it happened. All goalies have them, but he really didn't have a two month period where he was mediocre or bad as Shesterkin has had every year.

Shesty actually deserved his Vezina when he won.  Lundqvist was third in the running the year he won out of pity