• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Shesterkin Aiming for Historic Contract; Rejects 8-Year/$88M Deal ($11M AAV)

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I’m not as sold on Wright, but in any event, this is the type of package at this juncture that I would expect Igor to get. A middling goalie, a 1st, and a pretty good prospect. Before free agency, I thought he could potentially get a more significant NOW piece. That ship has sailed.

Yeah… and that’s just a difference in opinion in this case over 1 specific player that I guess we view differently. I don’t see Wright as a pretty good prospect. I view him as much more than that. But either of us could be correct.

Anyway… if you look at what you’re talking about, we aren’t far off. 

Im saying 4 pieces.

You say 3. I’ve acknowledged 3 is likely too.

Im saying two very good pieces plus two more of middle to lower value.

I think it appears you’re saying 1 very good piece plus 2 middling assets.

Thats how I’m interpreting that. Obviously I’m not in your head and can’t speak as to how you’d actually value and categorize each asset. 

Another thing to keep in mind is the 1st you get back.

If it’s from an unprotected pick from a not so good team, that could be huge. Especially in a good draft class.

And it could be an option type pick. 

My other big point is that Drury should shoot bigger than normal.

Not enormous and so oversized that he outbids himself.

But a little bigger.

• 2 months later...

Maybe the Rangers wait and see what kind of season Igor has on tap for them before they sign that deal.

If he's having a career season and the Rangers are on top you sign that deal in January and then you do whatever you have to do at the trade deadline to make it fit.

2 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

get the fuck outta here!!  If Drury pays him $12M, i'm quitting

....and I'm taking Pete with me

I don't think the Rangers are going to let Igor go unless either his performance or the team's is way down.

You can argue about what a goalie is worth vs what a scorer is worth and you'd have a pretty good argument.  That said no GM in their right mind is going to let Igor get away from this team if it looks like there's a good argument that he's the main reason the Rangers are competitive against good teams.

And of course he is the main reason the Rangers are competitive against good teams.

37 minutes ago, Br4d said:

And of course he is the main reason the Rangers are competitive against good teams.

And they shot their shot and came up short. He's not going to play better than he did last playoffs.

If they pay him, they can't upgrade the team in front of him (or perhaps even afford to keep the players they need to like Lafreniere, Miller, etc.)

That contract will be an albatross the day it's signed. It will mark the beginning of a rapid close to their competitive window. There's a reason goalies generally don't win Vezina (or Hart) and Conn Smythe in the same season.

• Keeps it 100 1

I think this window closes when Igor leaves if that is what happens.

Whether they can find another shutdown goalie is an open question.

No more Allaire makes the Igor decision pivotal for this window.

1 hour ago, Albatrosss said:

get the fuck outta here!!  If Drury pays him $12M, i'm quitting

....and I'm taking Pete with me

Please don't. Without you two bitching at each other, we'll have to cut the moderation staff in half.

49 minutes ago, Pete said:

And they shot their shot and came up short. He's not going to play better than he did last playoffs.

If they pay him, they can't upgrade the team in front of him (or perhaps even afford to keep the players they need to like Lafreniere, Miller, etc.)

That contract will be an albatross the day it's signed. It will mark the beginning of a rapid close to their competitive window. There's a reason goalies generally don't win Vezina (or Hart) and Conn Smythe in the same season.

Yeah Right Smile GIF by Apple TV

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

I don't think the Rangers are going to let Igor go unless either his performance or the team's is way down.

You can argue about what a goalie is worth vs what a scorer is worth and you'd have a pretty good argument.  That said no GM in their right mind is going to let Igor get away from this team if it looks like there's a good argument that he's the main reason the Rangers are competitive against good teams.

dont care.  dont want a $12M goalie contract we will immediately regret.  

This team relied heavily on Lundqvist and then on Shesty.  It only got us as far as the finals once in almost 20 years.  Another approach is needed

12 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

dont care.  dont want a $12M goalie contract we will immediately regret.  

This team relied heavily on Lundqvist and then on Shesty.  It only got us as far as the finals once in almost 20 years.  Another approach is needed

Well, the team could just play effective defense in front of Shesterkin and 50% of the heroics would be unnecessary.

Anyone who thought he was getting 10.5 or something was crazy. 10.5 is the absolute floor and a pipedream at that. 12-12.5 is where it's going to be. That's....a lot, especially when you have some other hefty contracts on the books for awhile longer and will need to re-sign Laf as well. I have no idea what goalies will be free agents at the end of this coming season. The pipeline is not that great, or has guys that aren't even ready yet. I don't know why, but I still have a feeling they're going to do it. lol Maybe it was because what happened with Lundqvist, but, man...that's a lot of money tied into goaltending, as great as he is.

This is going to be a fucking mess.  I can see it now.....(Dream sequence)

It's like I can look back into the past and see this #30 flipping around, and diving all over the place to keep us in games.  Games that we score 1 or 2 goals and look for it to hold up, while there are 75 shots against, and we can't get the puck out of our own zone for minutes on end.

...if only we had an example of what happens when we make the goalie the highest paid player on the team.

I love Igor, and what he's done, but I think we've seen his high water mark, and I really can't see him playing up to what he's given us in the past.  It really is time to move on from him, instead of paying that much and watching a replay of the last 4 or 5 Hank years.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, Albatrosss said:

I would only give him $12M if he won the cup with us next season. 

I wouldn't give him $12 million if he went up in the stands and gave us all blow jobs.

This whole idea of "we HAVE TO keep him" is bullshit to me.  We don't owe him dick!  He's played really well for us, and now he's outgrown his monetary cage, so to speak.  We have enough of an issue getting rid of "The Painter", and now we're going to hamstring ourselves again for the next 5 to 7 years with a guy who, in my opinion can only regress.

Haven't we fucking learned by now??

Listen, I'm no Rhodes scholar here by any stretch, but for fuck sake...we did this with Hank and it doesn't work.  I'm sure I'm not the only one here who thinks this but, I really feel like we can win a Cup without him...ESPECIALLY if we spend our cap money where it's better suited...

I just think there's a better way to apply $12 million, other than pissing it away on one guy, who quite honestly showed us some flashes of his dark side last November-February.  I really think Drury is smarter than that, and I have confidence he will do what he has to do to keep this team competitive for the foreseeable future.

I don't want to pay Shesterkin that money, but it's misguided thinking to think that allocating that $12 million at F/D on top of what we have already is some magic bean that keeps a competitive window open.

The change needs to be more expansive, guys need to be moved out to improve 5v5, but it does include Shesterkin out at that price.

Edited by BrooksBurner

It's important to remember that this is where he's starting. Not where he's ending.

Zibanejad started at 10, landed at 8.5

Panarin was rumored to be seeking 13, landed at 11.6

Lindgren was rumored to be seeking 5, got 4.5

It's not a perfect science, but we never see a player land on their initial ask. We're going to frontload the deal, he's going to be the highest paid goalie for some amount of time, but we can and should expect around a 15% attrition on the number.

He'll come in around 10.5. Which, by 2027-28, shouldn't be more than 10% of the cap.

• Bullseye 1

25 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

It's important to remember that this is where he's starting. Not where he's ending.

Zibanejad started at 10, landed at 8.5

Panarin was rumored to be seeking 13, landed at 11.6

Lindgren was rumored to be seeking 5, got 4.5

It's not a perfect science, but we never see a player land on their initial ask. We're going to frontload the deal, he's going to be the highest paid goalie for some amount of time, but we can and should expect around a 15% attrition on the number.

He'll come in around 10.5. Which, by 2027-28, shouldn't be more than 10% of the cap.

You can probably live with 10-10.5.

Anymore than that is too much

Shesterkin probably ends up signing in the 10-11 M range.  I see both points of view on signing him or trading him before he’s a free agent.  Which is the correct take only gets answered if and when the Rangers win a cup.  They haven’t been able to win with him so far but they don’t make it as far as they have 2 of the last 3 seasons without him.