• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Shesterkin Aiming for Historic Contract; Rejects 8-Year/$88M Deal ($11M AAV)

58 minutes ago, Pete said:

There are just as many reasons NOT to sign him for a massive number as there are reasons to sign him. 

This is true however the Rangers are a cup contender and have been for 3 seasons now.  It will be hard to let Igor go in that context.

24 minutes ago, Br4d said:

This is true however the Rangers are a cup contender and have been for 3 seasons now.  It will be hard to let Igor go in that context.

It won't be hard in the context of getting the team 4 kicks at the can but refusing to cripple it moving forward. Despite recency bias over the way the season ended, this team survived long stretches of mediocre goaltending, even bad goaltending, last season. The idea should be to make the lineup better at 5v5 and be less reliant on your goalie, not to pay your goalie top dollar and have to build the team around him because you don't have any other cap to spend.

I don't care that Carey Price got 11% of the cap or whatever. What did that team do after they paid him besides be bad? 

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve the money, I'm saying you don't need to spend that much money on a goalie to win. Let somebody else pay him and regret it. 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

This is going to be the most regrettable deal in Rangers' history before the ink even dries on his signature.

The chances of that are greater than 50%, but not guaranteed at all.

Florida just won with Bob at 10. The Rangers would just have to find 2-3 value contracts throughout the rest of the lineup like Florida did.

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

The chances of that are greater than 50%, but not guaranteed at all.

Florida just won with Bob at 10. The Rangers would just have to find 2-3 value contracts throughout the rest of the lineup like Florida did.

Because they got outsized impacts from guys on great deals, who they had to let walk in free agency because they can't afford to keep the band together ... because they stupidly gave a fucking goalie $10 million.

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Because they got outsized impacts from guys on great deals, who they had to let walk in free agency because they can't afford to keep the band together ... because they stupidly gave a fucking goalie $10 million.

A goalie who, at many points in the playoffs, was average. There were ~5 million dollar goalies who were playing as good or better. 

Also, if just going out and getting three to four value contracts was so easy, everybody would be doing it. 

• Keeps it 100 2

You can give a goalie that kind of contract if you are drafting well and have people spending minimal time on the farm before they arrive in the NHL.  That's where your best cheap contracts are.

That's not the Rangers right now.

If they do give Igor something like that, they better hope Perault, Othmann, etc. are really damn good. lol Panarin is probably gone after his contract expires in two years, yes? Of course, I have no idea what free agents will be available by the except for McDavid.

Well, one way to look at it is that if the Rangers wind up giving Igor the whole enchilada we will have tremendous incentive to let some of our AHL assets who are trapped at Hartford right now get some real playing time in the NHL.

2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Well, one way to look at it is that if the Rangers wind up giving Igor the whole enchilada we will have tremendous incentive to let some of our AHL assets who are trapped at Hartford right now get some real playing time in the NHL.

The team will be atrocious. There are no difference makers sitting in Hartford. Berard, Othmann, Sykora, Edstrom...All project mid(hopeful) to bottom 6 players. There's Perrault, Laf...And then nothing in terms of young offensive weapons.

• Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, Br4d said:

They'll have no choice but to, and then in the event any of them are any good, trade them, because you can't afford to pay anyone.

16 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Price got 10.5M a year, which was 13.2% of the cap for year 1 of his contract. 13.2% of the $92M cap in 25-26 would be $12.15M. I think he would fetch that on the open market, and so any discount is probably going to be minimal.

I'll guess a little higher than @Sharpshooter. I'll guess 95 over 8, 11.875 per.

How close did Price come to winning the Stanley Cup?  

3 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

How close did Price come to winning the Stanley Cup?  

Made it to the Finals once, his last season, with help from COVID rules.

These comparables are all outliers. Price, Bob, they aren't norms. Their teams both got extremely, extremely, lucky. Especially Florida.

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Made it to the Finals once, his last season, with help from COVID rules.

These comparables are all outliers. Price, Bob, they aren't norms. Their teams both got extremely, extremely, lucky. Especially Florida.

And promptly required major surgery because when you pay a goalie this much money, you rat fuck your financial stability, at the direct expense of productive skaters for your team.

Just now, Pete said:

Made it to the Finals once, his last season, due to COVID rules.

Yeah, which was bullshit playoffs.  

I have faith in the Rangers goalies like Garand due to how the Rangers produce goalies, and trade Shesterkin for a combination to shore up the bottom 6 / legit 1RW / couple of A prospects / draft capital.  Too bad Devils got Markstrom, I would have been all over trading Shesterkin somewhere, then trading for Markstrom.  IMO Rangers would be a more complete team if they had Markstrom along w/ assets that they could have gotten for Shesterkin.  

4 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Yeah, which was bullshit playoffs.  

I have faith in the Rangers goalies like Garand due to how the Rangers produce goalies, and trade Shesterkin for a combination to shore up the bottom 6 / legit 1RW / couple of A prospects / draft capital.  Too bad Devils got Markstrom, I would have been all over trading Shesterkin somewhere, then trading for Markstrom.  IMO Rangers would be a more complete team if they had Markstrom along w/ assets that they could have gotten for Shesterkin.  

The interwebz seems to be tossing out moving of from Shesty, and signing Ullmark and Raantanen. I don't have the cap numbers in front of me, but I'd be on board with it provided they could make it work.

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

He made the Finals, so reasonably close?

I assure you there's more high paid elite skaters who haven't sniffed a Cup, than elite goalies.

It boils down to this, imo.

We've had an elite goalie every fucking season since 2005. It's been twenty years. We've had 1 SCF appearance. We've had 5 ECF appearances. We lost four, and in every single one a team with a less elite goalie (or less compensated goalie on a meteoric rise - Tampa, grr), more offensive punch, and better depth beat us. Usually in a sloggy, low-scoring affair where we should have been favored because we had the better goalie. 

The problem with paying Shesterkin is that we kind of already know how this ends, especially if we can't keep up offensively because we can't pay the damn scorers. The problem with not paying Shesterkin is far more complicated - if not him, who? - both from the "who plays goal" perspective and from the "if we're not paying him, who are we targeting" perspective - but maybe that formula (and perhaps the assets from offing Shesterkin earlier) helps us get further than this one. Because this one rarely ends well.

• Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, Pete said:

The team will be atrocious. There are no difference makers sitting in Hartford. Berard, Othmann, Sykora, Edstrom...All project mid(hopeful) to bottom 6 players. There's Perrault, Laf...And then nothing in terms of young offensive weapons.

You can't change the projections until they meet NHL ice-time and the player's true quality is revealed.  They may suck but they may also shine and teams that never try to figure that out wind up with cap-bloated vets all up and down the roster.

It's part of the trap of a team that is aging in place at 2 wins away from a SCF.