• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Shesterkin Aiming for Historic Contract; Rejects 8-Year/$88M Deal ($11M AAV)

32 Bold Predictions: Oilers will finally end Canada’s Stanley Cup drought

24. The New York Rangers will make Igor Shesterkin the highest-paid goaltender in NHL history at $11.25 million per season. That will surpass Carey Price’s previous record of $10.5 million. Devoting 12 percent of next season’s salary cap to a goaltender who will be on the bench for 33 percent of the season is tough to swallow, but it’s a necessary evil. Can’t win without goaltending.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/32-bold-predictions-oilers-will-finally-end-canadas-stanley-cup-drought

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

32 Bold Predictions: Oilers will finally end Canada’s Stanley Cup drought

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/32-bold-predictions-oilers-will-finally-end-canadas-stanley-cup-drought

Devoting 12 percent of next season’s salary cap to a goaltender who will be on the bench for 33 percent of the season is tough to swallow, but it’s a necessary evil. Can’t win without goaltending.

It is not a necessary evil; absolutely not. All teams need goaltending, of course. Id love to have Swayman at 8M over Shesterkin at 11.25M. There are options but we all know that we won't pursue them. It's gunna hurt and it's gunna be the excuse why this team doesn't get over the hump in the next 8 years.

22 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yup. It's not a necessary evil. It's a choice. You are choosing to make your goalie the highest paid player.

Which is a bad choice IMO.

But you can’t look at this team and say that they aren’t dependent on spectacular goaltending in order to have a high level of success. 
It’s a paradox in many ways. 

20 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

how cares?  we're not paying Shesty's salary.  With Shesty in net for the next 9 years, it pretty much guarantees successful regular seasons.  we should be happy about that.  Who cares about playoffs, right?

No it doesn't.

6 minutes ago, VegasRanger said:

Only thing guaranteed with Domingue is he will have spicy pork for lunch at some point.

you should re-read you own post.  You said "guarantees a chance".  Anything can guarantee a chance.  Jeez!!

1 minute ago, Albatrosss said:

you should re-read you own post.  You said "guarantees a chance".  Anything can guarantee a chance.  Jeez!!

I was referring to your post that you said Igor guaranteed 9 years of successful seasons.  You mentioned Domingue and a monkey giving us a chance.  While there may be a chance at a chance with Domingue or a monkey, I wouldn't say it was guaranteed.

1 minute ago, VegasRanger said:

I was referring to your post that you said Igor guaranteed 9 years of successful seasons.  You mentioned Domingue and a monkey giving us a chance.  While there may be a chance at a chance with Domingue or a monkey, I wouldn't say it was guaranteed.

i never said guaranteed success with Domingue or a monkey.  i said guaranteed chance!!!

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF