• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Shesterkin Aiming for Historic Contract; Rejects 8-Year/$88M Deal ($11M AAV)

I mean, it's one thing if players like McDavid or Makar demand that kind of an AAV as they're the best at their positions and have the accolades to back it up. Shesterkin is in a tier below those guys and should be paid accordingly. That offer is already quite generous but to reject it just reeks of absurdly high self worth and not wanting to be a part of the solution that makes this team into a Cup champ. And if that's the mentality we're working with here, I'm sure Shesty can sign with a lottery team next summer for league high AAV and spend the rest of this prime years competing for the first overall pick. 

I get the frustration, but the hatred is so weird.

The guy has carried this franchise for 3 years now while watching Panarin take summer break from April and making 11.6m. He's also the best goalie on the planet by a good margin. Of course he wanna get paid more than Panarin and the best paid goalie.

He also watched a fellow countryman and colleague in Bobrovsky go to the free market, get paid like crazy and still ended up winning a cup. I'm sure Shesterkin thinks he can do the same some other place.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

7 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

The guy has carried this franchise for 3 years now while watching Panarin take summer break from April and making 11.6m. He's also the best goalie on the planet by a good margin. Of course he wanna get paid more than Panarin and the best paid goalie.

He also watched a fellow countryman and colleague in Bobrovsky go to the free market, get paid like crazy and still ended up winning a cup. I'm sure Shesterkin thinks he can do the same some other place.

He would be making more than any other goaltender in NHL history. In the biggest market in the country. On a team that can win the Cup. He wants to win and get paid. Who doesn’t? That said, he would be getting paid with this deal. At this point, it almost seems like he wants to hold the Rangers hostage. But by doing that, whether it’s here or elsewhere, you need to give the team wiggle room to compete with the salary cap.

Edited by RichieNextel305

6 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Def not the best by any margin. I argue wed have gone just as far with Bobrovsky, Hellyebuck, Vasilevsky or any other goalie on top tier level.

• Keeps it 100 1

NTY

Liked by nyrbluecrew and 3,612 others nhl.discussion According to #GoodFriend @kevweekes, Igor Shesterkin has rejected the New York Rangers' contract offer of eight years and $88 million ($11 million AAV). It would have been an NHL record..

is this true??!! Can someone confirm…

1 minute ago, jsm7302 said:

Def not the best by any margin. I argue wed have gone just as far with Bobrovsky, Hellyebuck, Vasilevsky or any other goalie on top tier level.

2019-2022 Vasilevsky I'll give you. Not the other two and not 2024 Vasilevsky.

Hellebuyck playoffs numbers: 45 games - 2.85 GAA - .910 save%

Bobrosvky playoff numbers: 94 games - 2.85 GAA - .905 save%

Shesterkin playoff numbers: 44 games - 2.41 GAA - .928 save%

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

He would be making more than any other goaltender in NHL history. In the biggest market in the country. On a team that can win the Cup. He wants to win and get paid. Who doesn’t? That said, he would be getting paid with this deal. At this point, it almost seems like he wants to hold the Rangers hostage. But by doing that, whether it’s here or elsewhere, you need to give the team wiggle room to compete with the salary cap.

Would make more than any in history - sure, with an ever increasing cap that "record" will be broken every few years. 11m is 500k more than what Price signed for in 2018. It's not like this is an insane, out-of-this world type of demand from him. It's right along the lines (12-13% of the cap) of what previously elite goalies has demanded (and gotten). It just seems so crazy since it's double digits now.

• Keeps it 100 1

15 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Pay him!!! 

5 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Would make more than any in history - sure, with an ever increasing cap that "record" will be broken every few years. 11m is 500k more than what Price signed for in 2018. It's not like this is an insane, out-of-this world type of demand from him. It's right along the lines (12-13% of the cap) of what previously elite goalies has demanded (and gotten). It just seems so crazy since it's double digits now.

It’s gonna get broken at some point whether it’s $11M or $12M. It’s sports. Even in the NHL with a cap.

Edited by RichieNextel305

11 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Come on, let's not slander the guy's capabilities just because he's being a little greedy. I think we can safely say he's the best at his position in the NHL right now. The question is if he's X% better than the next best based on what he's asking for? In which regard, I think he should the $88M and run with it. But if we're starting to talk about $12M+ AAV then no, he's certainly not that much better than the next best set of options and it would be cap suicide for the Rangers to pay him as such. 

20 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I'm just emotionally reacting in the moment. Hate is maybe too strong, but I'm very much having a visceral reaction to him rejecting a deal that would have literally reset the goalie market, like he wanted.

I'm not telling him not to maximize his earnings. But what he wants is directly at odds with my rooting interest because I firmly believe that paying a goalie *this* much money will financially cripple the organization.

• Like 1

Then who do you trade them to the Oilers to get back McDavid? Who do you trade Igor to? You’re going to need a top player back for him and deal with that person‘s salary cap …so if the Rangers don’t resign Igor, they let them go who do you get back and at what price?  that’s the other alternative. I think the Rangers have no choice but to pay this guy. 

15 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

2019-2022 Vasilevsky I'll give you. Not the other two and not 2024 Vasilevsky.

Hellebuyck playoffs numbers: 45 games - 2.85 GAA - .910 save%

Bobrosvky playoff numbers: 94 games - 2.85 GAA - .905 save%

Shesterkin playoff numbers: 44 games - 2.41 GAA - .928 save%

Andrei Vasilievskiy playoff numbers: 115 GP, 2.41 GAA, .920 save%

Jake Oettinger playoff numbers: 47GP, 2.46 GAA, ,916 save%

Juuse Saros playoff numbers: 23GP, 2.45 GAA, ,912 save% 

The differences here aren't nothing. Shesterkin's saving a full extra 1-2% of shots. But that's just not worth a delta of between 2 and 4m a year. 

There are enough goalies out there that can give you the 2.5 .915 in the playoffs for 5-8m/y. There aren't enough players who can get you that tiebreaking goal in the third period of game 6 in that pricerange.

• Keeps it 100 1

• Phil changed the title to Shesterkin Aiming for Historic Contract; Rejects 8-Year/$88M Deal ($11M AAV)

Price got 13.2% of the cap from Montreal, a high tax place.
Bob got 12.3% of the cap from Florida, a tax free state. 

This Rangers offer is 11.9% of the cap in a high tax place.

Their offer isn’t resetting the goalie market. Resetting the goalie market using Price’s percentage is $12.2 million.

Just now, LindG1000 said:

There are enough goalies out there that can give you the 2.5 .915 in the playoffs for 5-8m/y. There aren't enough players who can get you that tiebreaking goal in the third period of game 6 in that pricerange.

Then why are we going out of our way to save 5-6m on the goalie when we can't even get one top 6 forward who can get us that tiebreaking goal in the third period for that amount?

We tried "buying goals" during the Hank era too, remember? Gaborik and Nash. Didn't work. Lundqvist's contracted would've been no problem if the two guys we paid to score goals actually would've done that (especially Nash).

Just a funny thought experiment: Let's say Panarin and Igor switched contracts the past 3 years. Igor a 11.5m goalie and Panarin a 5.6m winger. Would you argument for trading Shesterkin to make the team better? Or would we try find other places to save money/upgrade the team?

• Applause 1

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Price got 13.2% of the cap from Montreal, a high tax place.
Bob got 12.3% of the cap from Florida, a tax free state. 

This Rangers offer is 11.9% of the cap in a high tax place.

Their offer isn’t resetting the goalie market. Resetting the goalie market using Price’s percentage is $12.2 million.

Fine. He can get that from Columbus, then. 

@Phil has said the same thing for time immaterial, before the brotherhood, when we were in the blue muppet shit: a goalie can help you not lose. But they can't help you win if you can't put the puck behind the other goalie because you're getting worked. 

We've seen it with Lundqvist. We've seen it with Shesterkin. Every year, a team with a goalie that can give you a .918 and a 2.4 wins the damn cup because they can outlast and overwhelm their opponents. Can't pay the guy to help you not lose. Gotta pay the guys who help you win.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

How does this argument make sense? Every skater is on the bench for at least 50% of every game and there's many skaters making around or above 12 percent.

When it really matters, in the playoffs, the goalie plays 100% of every game. Your best skater at bests plays 50% of every game.

It doesn't. It's a stupid point from Frank.

1 minute ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Then why are we going out of our way to save 5-6m on the goalie when we can't even get one top 6 forward who can get us that tiebreaking goal in the third period for that amount?

We tried "buying goals" during the Hank era too, remember? Gaborik and Nash. Didn't work. Lundqvist's contracted would've been no problem if the two guys we paid to score goals actually would've done that (especially Nash).

Just a funny thought experiment: Let's say Panarin and Igor switched contracts the past 3 years. Igor a 11.5m goalie and Panarin a 5.6m winger. Would you argument for trading Shesterkin to make the team better? Or would we try find other places to save money/upgrade the team?

Lundqvist's contract was a problem precisely because we never had "that guy" up front, and couldn't get him because we were locked into too many players for too long. We never had the center to make the whole thing go because we could never afford to bring them in.

At one point, Staal, Girardi, Nash, and Hank were making a combined 33% of the cap. For three guys who couldn't score goals and one who had PTSD from years in Columbus and thought April was golf season.

That's the thing you have to avoid. Part of that is just not overpaying the goalie.

Just now, LindG1000 said:

Fine. He can get that from Columbus, then. 

@Phil has said the same thing for time immaterial, before the brotherhood, when we were in the blue muppet shit: a goalie can help you not lose. But they can't help you win if you can't put the puck behind the other goalie because you're getting worked. 

We've seen it with Lundqvist. We've seen it with Shesterkin. Every year, a team with a goalie that can give you a .918 and a 2.4 wins the damn cup because they can outlast and overwhelm their opponents. Can't pay the guy to help you not lose. Gotta pay the guys who help you win.

I’m just stating that this isn’t some overpay of an offer he’s declining here, nor does it make him greedy, but it is a respectable offer that should encourage negotiation from Igor’s camp.

As for the bold, I completely agree. We just disagree on the solution for that.

• Like 1

I'm riding it out at this point.  Win the Cup you get your $12.5M, you don't win the Cup.....adios amigo....Sign and trade since the Rangers are the only team that can give him 8 years.  Better prove it and put the team on your back.  Look at Pete Alonso, did shit all year, probably lost millions b/c of his performance.  One HR last week is not going to regain the millions lost unless he goes out and takes this team to the World Series.

Edited by Blue Heaven
  • Like 1

Would like to think this is more negotiation. Really think about the teams he'd be willing to play for, places with significant Russian communities; Florida teams, Vegas, LA teams, Dallas, Chicago and Detroit. If he's all about $ he isn't going to Canada. Among those teams, how many are gonna bust their cap for a goalie, or even can? Both Florida teams(who each have Cup winning Gs, if older, already)  and Vegas pull shenanigans every year at the end of the season to get under the cap. Vegas won a Cup with a nobody G too.  Don't pretend to know what the others' caps and goalie situations  are in depth. But looks  like there isn't much of a market. 

I hate the cap, reason number 4,531. 

Edited by Bugg

7 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

At one point, Staal, Girardi, Nash, and Hank were making a combined 33% of the cap. For three guys who couldn't score goals and one who had PTSD from years in Columbus and thought April was golf season

And only one of them lived up to their contract, the one we keep on reminding ourselves to «not do again», although it was never the problem. Staal and Girardi at 5m+ when they played like 3rd pair D’s and Nash making almost 8m while playing as a 3rd line shutdown guy were the problem.

Kinda like Panarin making 11.6m to be a perimeter middle 6 guy in the playoffs and Trouba making 8m to be an idiot is the problem now.