• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Shesterkin Aiming for Historic Contract; Rejects 8-Year/$88M Deal ($11M AAV)

1 minute ago, Pete said:

He's got Berard on the second line dude. 

What kind of second liner do you think you're getting for six or seven million on the open market? I don't think you're getting Boeser or Ehlers, A broke down Taylor Hall? Vatrano? Maybe. That would push Berard to the third line.

I don't have high expectations there. 

He does. I wouldn't. I get what he's doing there - Cuylle-Chytil-Othmann might work quite nicely, but to me, that'd mean Berard isn't making the team. 

As for who fits? Who knows. None of us have Kakko in the lineup - what did we get there? Maybe Othmann is ready to play up in the lineup after another year of AHL seasoning. Maybe it's Gabe Perrault on the off-wing, or god forbid we flip Kreider around. Maybe it's Vatrano after a few years wandering in SoCal. It's why it's my big question.

35 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

He does. I wouldn't. I get what he's doing there - Cuylle-Chytil-Othmann might work quite nicely, but to me, that'd mean Berard isn't making the team. 

As for who fits? Who knows. None of us have Kakko in the lineup - what did we get there? Maybe Othmann is ready to play up in the lineup after another year of AHL seasoning. Maybe it's Gabe Perrault on the off-wing, or god forbid we flip Kreider around. Maybe it's Vatrano after a few years wandering in SoCal. It's why it's my big question.

So we're back to relying on rookies in key roles. That's my concern. 

37 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Saw a mock trade on some bullshit site when I was looking at free agent defensemen at the end of this year that said Schneider, Smith & #1 pick to Vegas for Theodore

I know you didn't make the proposal, but why are LGK trading Theodore? And Smith as in Rielly? At the deadline? What?

Makes no sense to me.

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

I know you didn't make the proposal, but why are LGK trading Theodore? And Smith as in Rielly? At the deadline? What?

Makes no sense to me.

Apparently according to the site Vegas doesn't think they'll be able to sign him.

Yes, Reilly Smith.

If that was really a possibility the Rangers should jump all over it.  Thought it was interesting, but highly unlikely.

2 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

My understanding is Perreault is a natural right wing who is playing left wing for Boston College because he is on a line with Will Smith and Ryan Leonard, and Leonard is also a natural right wing. He moved over.

Personally, I’d give him and Othmann every chance in the world to compete for the last top 6 spot next year. I kind of think the Rangers have to guarantee a spot on the roster for Perreault to leave college. If not guaranteeing a spot, guaranteeing a fair and equal opportunity to win a spot rather than clearly blocked by a veteran free agent signing.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

My understanding is Perreault is a natural right wing who is playing left wing for Boston College because he is on a line with Will Smith and Ryan Leonard, and Leonard is also a natural right wing. He moved over.

Personally, I’d give him and Othmann every chance in the world to compete for the last top 6 spot next year. I kind of think the Rangers have to guarantee a spot on the roster for Perreault to leave college. If not guaranteeing a spot, guaranteeing a fair and equal opportunity to win a spot rather than clearly blocked by a veteran free agent signing.

Agree with what you're saying about both of those players, however that's still ensures that you're depending on a rookie in key situations. You're as likely to get 20 points as you are to get 45 from either of them. 

(Obviously made up numbers to show the wide range of what could be).

Edited by Pete

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Agree with what you're saying about both of those players, however that's still ensures that you're depending on a rookie in key situations. You're as likely to get 20 points as you are to get 45 from either of them. 

(Obviously made up numbers to show the wide range of what could be).

Yup. I’m under no illusion that there is a guarantee either churns out significant points their rookie seasons. That’s why I am expecting a step back. But they have to do some due diligence on that sooner rather than later.

I think there is only one way to know for sure how to play summer 2026 with Panarin’s cap hit gone, and that’s to play the best prospects they have to understand more about what they can do. Do they look terrible and more cap needs to be invested at forward, or do they look good (or at least give confidence in projecting that they will improve to good) and more cap can go elsewhere?

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yup. I’m under no illusion that there is a guarantee either churns out significant points their rookie seasons. That’s why I am expecting a step back. But they have to do some due diligence on that sooner rather than later.

I think there is only one way to know for sure how to play summer 2026 with Panarin’s cap hit gone, and that’s to play the best prospects they have to understand more about what they can do. Do they look terrible and more cap needs to be invested at forward, or do they look good (or at least give confidence in projecting that they will improve to good) and more cap can go elsewhere?

Yeah start them off slow but with a good amount of minutes in the right situations and see if they sink or swim. 

3 hours ago, phillyb said:

Ha. Is that from last night? Dude’s gonna wanna burn the fuckin tape lol. 

For what it’s worth, he did have that amazing save in the third but that was after giving up 5, I think. 

I’d rather have the guy who consistently saves the ones he should, rather than the one who lets in softies and saves ones he shouldn’t, because the first guy is a lot easier to play team defense around.

• Like 1

I keep imagining him accepting that $11 million offer, and then me seeing that performance last night, especially that 4th goal.  Nothing would prevent me from throwing up in my mouth watching last night's game.

I hope to hell Drury pulled back that $11 million offer. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1