• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Shesterkin Aiming for Historic Contract; Rejects 8-Year/$88M Deal ($11M AAV)

18 hours ago, Scott said:

The whole situation is frightening.  The team defense in their own zone is still a crap show with both the D unit and the forwards often standing around out of position or making a careless play turning the puck over which leads to  high-grade chances.  I  think an average goalie turns them into a also-ran. Especially looking shortly down the road and Panarin's deal expiring. I don't see anybody knocking down the door to make up for those two loses. Yeah cap space, we did so well all those years when there was no cap.

I don't. I think it turns them from President's Trophy caliber to, at worst, wild card caliber. They're not going from Shesterkin to lottery simply by subtracting Shesterkin. They're too potent offensively for that to be the case. What it probably means, for the reasons you outlined, is winning more games 5-4 or 4-3, than 5-1 or 4-0. I'm OK with that.

16 hours ago, Pete said:

I'm already resigned to the idea that we'll get to see some great goaltending and hopefully some young talent to look forward to like Perrault joining Lafreniere, and hopefully not trying to trap their way into the playoffs, because that will be boring. 

I don't think they're going to win a lot, but at least they could be fun to watch. 

On paper, I think they can survive with $12 million Shesterkin, but it's gonna pool all their hopes on outsized contributions from young players. Lafreniere seems to have broken out, which is great on its own, but he's going to have to maintain to offset the loss of Panarin.

The "plan" probably has to be to mimic the Stars' approach of phasing out and scaling back on duties of high-priced veterans who will play lower and lower in the lineup and in less and less prominent roles as younger guys take those roles over full-time. Chytil (Hintz) over Zibanejad (Seguin). Lafreniere (Robertson) over Panarin (Benn), etc.

We've gone through it a million times, but the key here is going to be threading the needle on they money. They need big contributions from guys while they're still affordable and then they need to have these windows align pretty seamlessly as UFAs leave. It's possible, but it's going to be uncomfortable, because a $12 million goalie gives them a slim margin for error.

2 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

Panarin was a UFA, so I'm sure there will be another UFA available.  maybe not Panarin's caliber, maybe better.  Maybe Rempe will score 40 

It's a given Rempe will pop in an easy 40💪.

He's a concern based on history.  If the Rangers find themselves with a decent  size bag of cap space somehow over the next few season by moving guys out, there will always be some stud who only wants to play here. It's would be pretty weird if all of the sudden that said player doesn't sign here sucking that bag dry. It's would be completely ironic if the org all of the sudden so no we're not interested.

4 minutes ago, Scott said:

It's a given Rempe will pop in an easy 40💪.

He's a concern based on history.  If the Rangers find themselves with a decent  size bag of cap space somehow over the next few season by moving guys out, there will always be some stud who only wants to play here. It's would be pretty weird if all of the sudden that said player doesn't sign here sucking that bag dry. It's would be completely ironic if the org all of the sudden so no we're not interested.

I hear McJesus is UFA same year Panarin's contract expires