• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How About the Defense?!

All this talk about Kreider, Zibanejad, etc....

Obviously Trouba is an issue and will most likely be dealt with early in the off season imo; buy out or trade, Jake isn't sticking around here for 24/25. With that said outside of Schneider and Lindgren.....what a gross overage of offensive dmen with no snarl and lack of situational awareness in the D zone: Fox, Miller, Gustafson. Hopefully Gustafson finds a bus to Utah or anywhere but here. Regardless, Fox or Miller need to be replaced with a Lindgren esque D man. One PP QB type is sufficient.

What says you all? Can we focus on reworking this D corp so we can focus on not paying 12 mil per the following year for a goalie?!

22 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm for keeping:

Fox

Miller

Lindgren

Jones

Schneider

Ruewheedle

Just have to replace a bad spark plug....I like the rest. 

Ytho GIF

• Applause 1

Haven’t heard about the Fox injury but he was obviously skating with one leg. 

Lindgren? Who’s replacing his bionic ability to recuperate within minutes?

Miller still young and developing. Does he make meaningful progress by next season? I wish he’d shoot more. 

Jones - Schneider? Pick one. Trade the other. 

Weeds? Is he a difference maker? I’m not sure about that despite his good-enough showing. 

I think we should prepared to see not much change on the blue line. I wouldn't be surprised if they just re-arrange the chairs a little bit. Gus is a Lavi guy. I'd be surprised if he's not back.

Miller-Fox

Lindgren-Schneider

Gus-Trouba

I've seen far worse defensemen than Trouba win a Cup or play in the finals.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

Making what he makes against the cap?

I know Jack Johnson won a cup but he was making like a million dollars I think lol. 

The issue with the D isn't snarl, it's that they can't move the puck. Vince noted today on the Jeff Marek show he believes they want to add "more mobility and size" to their blue line. That means bye to Gustafsson (good riddance). If they dump Trouba, they'll have a minimum of two holes to fill with few internal options available (that they'll trust out of the gate).

Need a lot more time to think through this because I have no idea who they might be looking at. The only name, right now, that springs to mind is Brett Pesce.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think we should prepared to see not much change on the blue line. I wouldn't be surprised if they just re-arrange the chairs a little bit. Gus is a Lavi guy. I'd be surprised if he's not back.

Miller-Fox

Lindgren-Schneider

Gus-Trouba

He was on the ice for 17 of the 35 goals scored against the team in the second and third rounds. That's soul crushing. And we haven't even gotten to the fact he makes 8 fucking million.

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

Making what he makes against the cap?

I know Jack Johnson won a cup but he was making like a million dollars I think lol. 

Lol yeah, relative to the cap Trouba takes the cake. I was thinking of Jack Johnson 2 years ago and Marc Staal for Florida last year.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

He was on the ice for 17 of the 35 goals scored against the team in the second and third rounds. That's soul crushing. And we haven't even gotten to the fact he makes 8 fucking million.

I don't know what happened to the guy. We always said he was a $4-5 million guy getting paid 8, and it was frustrating, but it didn't mean he was terrible. Just overpaid. He was never quite this bad. He got hurt in March, the injury was very hush hush, we have no clue what it was, but he came back after a few weeks and was just utterly atrocious. It's one of the most confusing things from this season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don't know what happened to the guy. We always said he was a $4-5 million guy getting paid 8, and it was frustrating, but it didn't mean he was terrible. Just overpaid. He was never quite this bad. He got hurt in March, the injury was very hush hush, we have no clue what it was, but he came back after a few weeks and was just utterly atrocious. It's one of the most confusing things from this season.

I'm hoping it's the injury thing again because he collapsed as a defender.

I'm a Miller guy personally. My three that I'm keeping are Schneider, Miller and Lindgren. I'm not sure who plays which side off hand but....

Trouba gets bought out. Fox is a part of a MAJOR hockey trade for a legit 1 RW or 1C. Get Jones in here, and now we get two holes to fill. Maybe we have someone internally ready to make the jump and one UFA? 

4 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I completely forgot about this

I have bought Brenden Dillon up before and will continue to bang the drum on him. A UFA. Won’t cost an arm and a leg. He’s 33, big, hits. Kind of guy you want on your side in the playoffs. Can be plain mean. You’re not going to get much offense from him, but you’re gonna get a shot blocker who hits a lot, and is used to playing a good chunk of minutes. I get that with Jones likely stepping in for Gustafsson, and Miller and Lindgren (assuming he re-signs), you would have 4 LHD if we signed Dillon. But again, just a suggestion. If we lose Trouba (please), Dillon can add some of the hitting and physicality we lose from that dunce…I mean, from that Captain of ours.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I have bought Brenden Dillon up before and will continue to bang the drum on him. A UFA. Won’t cost an arm and a leg. He’s 33, big, hits. Kind of guy you want on your side in the playoffs. Can be plain mean. You’re not going to get much offense from him, but you’re gonna get a shot blocker who hits a lot, and is used to playing a good chunk of minutes. I get that with Jones likely stepping in for Gustafsson, and Miller and Lindgren (assuming he re-signs), you would have 4 LHD if we signed Dillon. But again, just a suggestion. If we lose Trouba (please), Dillon can add some of the hitting and physicality we lose from that dunce…I mean, from that Captain of ours.

I think he’s a good pick for the 3rd pair. I’d pair him with Gus, who can play right side and is a Lavi guy. He was one of our better defensemen all year. I’d be surprised if he’s not back. Jones traded.

Edited by BrooksBurner

13 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

He probably should not have been playing at all. 

14 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I could be wrong but Gustafsson is going to get paid more than we can afford. 

He'll probably get more money and more term than we should give. 

That said, he had some real dips in play towards the end of the year, and after his head got sandwiched into the boards and he came back he was a shit show.

Just careless turnovers and reverses to nobody for no reason, I've never seen anybody put the puck back into his own zone so many times when there was nobody there. Just boneheaded play after boneheaded play, but that could also be a product of playing with Trouba because a lot of people felt that way about Miller. 

• Keeps it 100 2

Wish we could've kept Mikkola. Dude is huge, mean and solid. A shame we had him and let him go. Our deadline acquisitions head out and have success the following years. Too bad we never retained the successful ones. Vatrano, Mikkola, Tarasenko. 

1 minute ago, jsm7302 said:

Wish we could've kept Mikkola. Dude is huge, mean and solid. A shame we had him and let him go. Our deadline acquisitions head out and have success the following years. Too bad we never retained the successful ones. Vatrano, Mikkola, Tarasenko. 

You have to look at it with some perspective. Vatrano maybe might have been worth it to keep, but Tarasenko must have had some outlandish demands because nobody signed him until late and it was only for a year, Dude fired his agent. 

I can also see why they didn't want to give Mikkola term.

Shit happens. 

6 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I keep thinking Mikkola looked so much better playing with Florida during the ECF than he did when he was on the Rangers.  

He did but also gg vs Paul Maurice