• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

From Bust to Bang: What Will Alexis Lafrenieres Next Contract Look Like?

On 7/1/2024 at 4:44 PM, Phil said:

Lafreniere was unlikely to sign for less than $8 million per regardless. He just scored 28 goals without PP time. What does PP time get him, another 8–10? What 40-goal-scoring 22- or 23-year-old first-round pick is signing for less?

Said it in the Byfield thread. I'll say it again here: he's getting 8x8.

Byfield is a center. Laf's a winger. They're not direct comparables. Slavkovsky (7.6x8) is. Laf's better than Slavkovsky. He's getting more.

12 minutes ago, Phil said:

Byfield is a center. Laf's a winger. They're not direct comparables. Slavkovsky (7.6x8) is. Laf's better than Slavkovsky. He's getting more.

Centers are more valuable than wingers so how does that jive?

• Keeps it 100 1

I can see Laff getting anywhere from $7.5 million - $8.5 million X 8 years....and I'd be fine with it.  The kid's gonna be a great player.

So glad he stepped up last year and showed it!  It only gets better from here!

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Slafkovsky is also like 6'4 250 at 19 years old. He's a Slovak Dustin Byfuglien at forward - like having a fucking linebacker at LW, and you can pay for that size too. 

I think 8x8 is probably bang on. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Centers are more valuable than wingers so how does that jive?

Center is the most valuable position. Goals are the most valuable metric.

Lafreniere scored 28 last season, all even strength, with no PP time. He has 75 in 298 career games (0.25 G/GP).

Byfield's career high (last season) was 20. He has 28 in his career in 179 games (0.15 G/GP)

Laffy’s next contract won’t start until his age 24 season. Most guys want to time it so they are UFA eligible in their late 20s. Only reason Slaf signed 8 years is he will be entering his age 29 season when his deal expires. Byfield will be entering his age 27 season. Don’t see Laffy signing a deal that takes him further than his age 28 season. That’s 5 years. UFA headed into his age 29 season for a 7-8 year tetirement contract. 5 years x 8 is probably where it’s headed. His leverage is he’s 2 years away from ufa after his current contract expires next summer, and can just walk it down. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Giving 8 mil to him is lofty at the 1mil/10 point standard. We have high hopes of course but I see his top at 7.5mil (71 points including playoffs). Gotta ask too....is his production partially due to playing with the best player on the team? 7.5mil/6 years.

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

Laffy’s next contract won’t start until his age 24 season. Most guys want to time it so they are UFA eligible in their late 20s. Only reason Slaf signed 8 years is he will be entering his age 29 season when his deal expires. Byfield will be entering his age 27 season. Don’t see Laffy signing a deal that takes him further than his age 28 season. That’s 5 years. UFA headed into his age 29 season for a 7-8 year tetirement contract. 5 years x 8 is probably where it’s headed. His leverage is he’s 2 years away from ufa after his current contract expires next summer, and can just walk it down. 

Sure, maybe. The AAV is what I'm looking at here, not specifically the length of time, but we agree there. I think $8M is the base line.

Just now, jsm7302 said:

Giving 8 mil to him is lofty at the 1mil/10 point standard. We have high hopes of course but I see his top at 7.5mil (71 points including playoffs). Gotta ask too....is his production partially due to playing with the best player on the team? 7.5mil/6 years.

If you are relying on him purely for points, yes. Not if you see him as a 30-goal+ lock. You pay for goals first, and if his season was any kind of barometer of things to come, he's probably a 40-goal-scorer in waiting.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Phil said:

Center is the most valuable position. Goals are the most valuable metric.

Lafreniere scored 28 last season, all even strength, with no PP time. He has 75 in 298 career games (0.25 G/GP).

Byfield's career high (last season) was 20. He has 28 in his career in 179 games (0.15 G/GP)

I'm not sure I agree with where you're going and I also think Montreal overpaid. 

I think Laffy next contract is closer to this. 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm not sure I agree with where you're going and I also think Montreal overpaid. 

I think Laffy next contract is closer to this. 

But why? There's little reason to suggest why he should be similarly priced to Byfield when he outscored him.

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

But why? There's little reason to suggest why he should be similarly priced to Byfield when he outscored him.

Well, I think a lot depends on what Lafreniere does this year to solidify expectations.

But as we said, center is more valuable. And Montreal overpaid. If Slafkovsky is worth $7.6, Lafreniere is easily worth $9 from an AAV perspective without really diving deep into the peripherals.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Well, I think a lot depends on what Lafreniere does this year to solidify expectations.

But as we said, center is more valuable. And Montreal overpaid. If Slafkovsky is worth $7.6, Lafreniere is easily worth $9 from an AAV perspective without really diving deep into the peripherals.

I suppose, sure. But if Laf puts up another 30~ goal season without major PP time, I'm just gonna repeat what I said lol. I don't even think Slavkovsky is a great comparison. I just think he's more of one than Byfield because centers and wingers are weighted differently.

43 minutes ago, Phil said:

I suppose, sure. But if Laf puts up another 30~ goal season without major PP time, I'm just gonna repeat what I said lol. I don't even think Slavkovsky is a great comparison. I just think he's more of one than Byfield because centers and wingers are weighted differently.

I don't think it makes sense to compare anything right now. Unless they're trying to extend him in January. 

I like that he's confident enough not to extend now and wait until he has a big season.  It doesn't seem to make sense to speculate what his contract would look like at the moment when it will turn on the upcoming season.

• Cheers 1