• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

From Bust to Bang: What Will Alexis Lafrenieres Next Contract Look Like?

I'm with Pete on that. To not lock him up now is a mistake. If he regresses and this season wasn't the norm, he's still very tradable if needed, but the risk/reward analysis is that he's only going up from here and you pay him based off of market value for this season. 

Not not for nothing, he gave everything this postseason and you can't exactly say that for many of the other guys on the team. You give him a contract and it also starts to shape that locker room a bit more (I think. I have no idea how locker rooms work). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

There's an unmistakable arc of progression happening, and if you don't pay him now you will pay him much more later. 

He's not playing any games until October that will increase his pay scale.  They can worry about his contract in September when the roster has more of a shape to it.  Not saying don't sign him.  Saying take care of other business first.

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Valriera said:

I'm sold for two reasons:

1. The kid has had more than one good playoff season. This season was a great playoff season. We need players who can play in the playoffs.

2. He put in the work to disprove all of the doubters, me included.

Yeah, he's weird, but he's converted this non-believer with what was clearly hard work and not much else on the offseason. So the length for me is 8 years. He's the future of the team.

I'm not sure on the price. 8 is a huge premium on current value which is around 5-6 and the kid doesn't play center. Brady Tkachuck and Jason Robertson are similar age wise and make 8 and 7.7 respectively, both of whom had better seasons on the stat sheet. Tkachuck is paid the Ottawa premium too, so I'm not sure 8 is the number for me. Kucherov makes 9.5 and the dude just put up triple the numbers, and is on a UFA contract. I think 8 is too much.

I start at 8x6.5, and am probably happy if it ends at 8x7. If Lafreniere wants to take his chances on a max contract then that's fine too, but we have the pieces to continue to block his powerplay time and limit the numbers so it's not an astronomical contract, which while shitty is an excellent management tactic in this situation. 

That may be too much too soon.  I can see $30 million for 5-6 years.

On 6/4/2024 at 1:36 PM, phillyb said:

I'm with Pete on that. To not lock him up now is a mistake. If he regresses and this season wasn't the norm, he's still very tradable if needed, but the risk/reward analysis is that he's only going up from here and you pay him based off of market value for this season. 

Not not for nothing, he gave everything this postseason and you can't exactly say that for many of the other guys on the team. You give him a contract and it also starts to shape that locker room a bit more (I think. I have no idea how locker rooms work). 

Agreed. Lock up Laf and Shesterkin before training camp.

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

Here's a proposal  -

Rip up the last year in Laf's current contract.  And then give a new deal for $4 million per year from 4-5 years starting this coming season.

Cannot change a current contract except via buyout or trading it.  You can create an extension that becomes in effect a new contract when it becomes active.

Edit: I think we are past the point of affordable early deals with Laf.  He is arbitration eligible at the expiration of this deal and unless he takes a big step back we're talking $6M-$7M minimum on that 1 yr deal.

More to the point: there's no way the Rangers should let any other team make offers to Laf when he nears restricted free agency.  Keeping him at a reasonable cap number is going to be all about pouncing before anybody else can counter.

Edited by Br4d

1 hour ago, Rangers1994 said:

Here's a proposal  -

Rip up the last year in Laf's current contract.  And then give a new deal for $4 million per year from 4-5 years starting this coming season.

Why are we ripping up everybody's contracts? 

Just because he's eligible for an extension July 1st doesn't mean we need to give him one. I'm more than happy to wait until January and the picture of what he looks like, what the team looks like, and the cap for the following season looks like should be more clear. His numbers aren't likely to explode unless he's seeing top power playtime, and while I certainly think he deserves PP1 time I just don't see the coaches changing one of the best power plays in the league. 

You should always be looking to improve and as good as this power play is there are people on it who are not as good as they were a year or two ago.

If the Rangers choose to keep the power play together odds are they are not as good next season as they were this season.  Zibanejad has been a passenger on the power play for the better part of a season now after being a dominant piece in '21-22 and '22-23.  Laf is ready to go and just needs the experience playing with the cyclers.  Shouldn't be hard given the other 2/3's of his line are on PP1.

• Like 1

Please stop trying to read the tea leaves. The power play is good until it isn't. And when it's not then you change it, you don't force feed a change because you're stanning a player.

4 hours ago, Pete said:

Please stop trying to read the tea leaves. The power play is good until it isn't. And when it's not then you change it, you don't force feed a change because you're stanning a player.

The PP is good despite Zib on it.  The PP is what it is because of only three players—Panarin, Fox, and Kreider.  

• LMFAO 1

7 hours ago, Rangers1994 said:

Here's a proposal  -

You’re dreaming if you think Laf takes $4M per. He’s worth no less than $6M 

• 4 weeks later...

This is a killer for Drury IMO.

If we weren’t going to be active in this free agent period with the future cap ramifications, I’d have preferred at least trying to gauge Lafreniere on the likelihood of a maybe looking at 7x7 on an extension.

That price may have gone up. 

9 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

If we weren’t going to be active in this free agent period with the future cap ramifications, I’d have preferred at least trying to gauge Lafreniere on the likelihood of a maybe looking at 7x7 on an extension.

We were never getting Laf to sign longterm at less than $8M a year and that's a bit of a stretch.

It's a year early to look for a value deal.  If he has a great season next year all value deal will be off the table.  If he just continues to progress at a linear pace we have a shot at a value deal.

6 minutes ago, Br4d said:

We were never getting Laf to sign longterm at less than $8M a year and that's a bit of a stretch.

It's a year early to look for a value deal.  If he has a great season next year all value deal will be off the table.  If he just continues to progress at a linear pace we have a shot at a value deal.

And if he falls off we'll be glad we didn't give him the bag. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Lafreniere was unlikely to sign for less than $8 million per regardless. He just scored 28 goals without PP time. What does PP time get him, another 8–10? What 40-goal-scoring 22- or 23-year-old first-round pick is signing for less?

• Keeps it 100 1

35 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

The comparison is really that Slafkovsky is selling 4 UFA years in that deal and it takes him through his age 28 season. Lafreniere selling 4 UFA years would be a 6 year extension and it takes him through his age 29 season. A sensible extension is probably 5-6 years around 8 per.

43 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Will this be the year that that Lafrenière gets that elusive PP time? 🤣

It's possible. He's knocking hard, but he's facing the same uphill battle other players before him were, which is that they play on a team with an elite first unit. You don't fix what isn't broken, so unless one of those guys really falls off (cough*Zibanejad*cough), it's counterintuitive to change shit just for the sake of giving one player more opportunity (potentially driving his price up in the process).

1 minute ago, Phil said:

It's possible. He's knocking hard, but he's facing the same uphill battle other players before him were, which is that they play on a team with an elite first unit. You don't fix what isn't broken, so unless one of those guys really falls off (cough*Zibanejad*cough), it's counterintuitive to change shit just for the sake of giving one player more opportunity (potentially driving his price up in the process).

If Lafreniere doesn't replace Zibanejad on PP1 next season, I will have no words. Doing something like that was practically staring Laviolette in the face. It may be one negative with a veteran coach, stubborn and sticking with the veteran. But I mean, this is the time. Lafreniere looked great, even without Panarin this time and this is a bag year for him. Let him cook.

• Keeps it 100 1

29 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

If Lafreniere doesn't replace Zibanejad on PP1 next season, I will have no words. Doing something like that was practically staring Laviolette in the face. It may be one negative with a veteran coach, stubborn and sticking with the veteran. But I mean, this is the time. Lafreniere looked great, even without Panarin this time and this is a bag year for him. Let him cook.

Wow man so negative

50 minutes ago, Phil said:

Overall the pp was good - but there were multiple significant dry spells, including in the playoffs. And Zib was definitely not the threat he used to be.

With an offseason, preseason, start of season in front of us - you can't not work to incorporate the better projected player (laf, if u ask me...) on the pp1.

And theres too much talent not to roll out two effective pp lines. Put zib on pp2 and that may be enough to make em effective.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...