• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 SCF: Panthers vs Oilers

Who wins?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Panthers in 4
    • Panthers in 5
    • Panthers in 6
    • Panthers in 7
    • Oilers in 4
    • Oilers in 5
    • Oilers in 6
    • Oilers in 7

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/09/2024 at 12:21 AM

You want to know what’s scary about Florida? They’re so monotone. No emotions, or hardly any. Just a very business as usual approach. Reinhart scores to make it 1-0 late in the 1st after a very good Edmonton first period. Guy just got his team on the board in Game 3 of the Finals to give them a very big lead going in to the intermission in a series they're up 2-0. And hardly any reaction.

They are cold blooded killers. They have one purpose and it’s one win away.

They learned from their past. And understand the job at hand. And until that job is complete, just business at hand for them.

The Mamba Mentality.

You can’t emulate the prior champion. Or another team. All teams are built differently. But you can adjust mindset. Laviolette did it for us this year in the right direction.

Every team should be adopting this mindset and trying to replicate it. Their mindset and approach is scary for a team that, though it’s had 2 good seasons prior, has never won a Cup.

7 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

You want to know what’s scary about Florida? They’re so monotone. No emotions, or hardly any. Just a very business as usual approach. Reinhart scores to make it 1-0 late in the 1st after a very good Edmonton first period. Guy just got his team on the board in Game 3 of the Finals to give them a very big lead going in to the intermission in a series they're up 2-0. And hardly any reaction.

They are cold blooded killers. They have one purpose and it’s one win away.

They learned from their past. And understand the job at hand. And until that job is complete, just business at hand for them.

The Mamba Mentality.

You can’t emulate the prior champion. Or another team. All teams are built differently. But you can adjust mindset. Laviolette did it for us this year in the right direction.

Every team should be adopting this mindset and trying to replicate it. Their mindset and approach is scary for a team that, though it’s had 2 good seasons prior, has never won a Cup.

It's basically last season's Florida team on steroids. While I will say Edmonton did a better job penetrating than the Rangers ever really did, I still feel like they (Igor) gave them the toughest fight. They're doing to the Oilers what they did to our top guys. They're just such a good, sound defensive team.

17 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

It's basically last season's Florida team on steroids. While I will say Edmonton did a better job penetrating than the Rangers ever really did, I still feel like they (Igor) gave them the toughest fight. They're doing to the Oilers what they did to our top guys. They're just such a good, sound defensive team.

We've had great defensive teams in the Torts era; we can't seem to solve this Stanley Cup puzzle.

Just now, jsm7302 said:

We've had great defensive teams in the Torts era; we can't seem to solve this Stanley Cup puzzle.

They had great defense and goaltending, but couldn't really score a lick. With the exception of Gaborik, especially in that 2012 season, it was kind of slim pickings. That was always the major issue then. Now they have good defense, offense and goaltending, but still lost anyway. lol I was really hoping this was going to be the year, with how many good things were happening, but they just ran into a team that was just in the zone.

10 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

And the Rangers go from facing Carolina and Florida’s defense to facing this team and Stuart Skinner.

Edmonton has been rattled with Bob. They would have been with Igor too. And not that Edmonton’s defense isn’t up to snuff, but if we could have solved Carolina and Florida, we would have solved them too.

This was a missed opportunity for sure. We get by Florida, we would have won the Cup this year. That East Final was the actual Cup Final.

It's not a missed opportunity. The margins are razor thin and they lost to a team playing better hockey. 

They didn't give that series away. They gave it everything they had and it wasn't enough at that point. 

So at the end of the day, we ended up being the 2nd best team in the league.....and not by a huge margin at all.

I can live with that.  We had a great season, loaded with fun and some great victories.  What's more is that a few of our younger guys made some big leaps forward, and I'm looking forward to next season already.

The best thing about making a long run in the playoffs is that off season feels a ton shorter!

Let's run this fucker back again, make some adjustments where needed and make anothe run at this thing again! 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

It's not a missed opportunity. The margins are razor thin and they lost to a team playing better hockey. 

They didn't give that series away. They gave it everything they had and it wasn't enough at that point. 

I mean a missed opportunity in the sense that it’s another year without a Cup. Beating Florida was the ticket.

I can’t help but wonder what happens if we take a 2-0 lead after 1 in Game 4. If that Mika shot doesn’t deflect and hit off the cross bar and instead goes into the net, does Florida begin to panic and do the Rangers open it up?

A question that haunts me.

We get out of that series, we win the Cup. Not a doubt in my mind.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

38 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I mean a missed opportunity in the sense that it’s another year without a Cup. Beating Florida was the ticket.

I can’t help but wonder what happens if we take a 2-0 lead after 1 in Game 4. If that Mika shot doesn’t deflect and hit off the cross bar and instead goes into the net, does Florida begin to panic and do the Rangers open it up?

A question that haunts me.

We get out of that series, we win the Cup. Not a doubt in my mind.

It's THAT slim of a difference between losing and turning the corner of Canyon of Heroes, Richie!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

I really dont get the Ferraro hate. I can see how McDonught is boring as hell but Ferraro is pretty spot on. But then again, i drink too much wine. 

Admit some of it is the residue from when the Rangers traded him like a hobo. It was acrimonious. But he's full of happytalk nonsense, never has a word to say about the assault&battery that is the Panthers' game all playoffs. They weren't "disciplined", the refs decided that they weren't gonna call penalties against them that in the regular season were called every night. He's choosing to ignore that because the NHL offices don't want to hear that the refs are incompetent, inconsistent and worthless. Brooks posted and then deleted a tweet how the NHL featured great skill for 8 months of the regular season but since the playoffs started allowed the Cats to goon it up all playoffs. 

McDonough just sucks. NOBODY gives a fuck that some players are from or went to school in Massholia. AND NOBODY GIVES  FUCK A PLAYER NAMED EVAN HAS NEVER WON THE CUP. Follow the game. And generally spare the soft spot we have for Messier, the ESPN broadcast is awful; what's with showing players seat themselves on the bench while the puck is in play, or the vertigo camera angles? Looks like they do so little hockey they don't know or care about quality. 

• Bullseye 1

15 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Sean McDonough has the enthusiasm of a Librarian. Can they please give Bob Wischusen the head job for hockey on ESPN/ABC moving forward?

I don't see why they don't mix it up, especially when it comes to the color position.  Different guys may have some new insights about particular players that one guy doing the whole series doesn't notice.

Yes, Wischusen is better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Admit some of it is the residue from when the Rangers traded him like a hobo. It was acrimonious. But he's full of happytalk nonsense, never has a word to say about the assault&battery that is the Panthers' game all playoffs. They weren't "disciplined", the refs decided that they weren't gonna call penalties against them that in the regular season were called every night. He's choosing to ignore that because the NHL offices don't want to hear that the refs are incompetent, inconsistent and worthless. Brooks posted and then deleted a tweet how the NHL featured great skill for 8 months of the regular season but since the playoffs started allowed the Cats to goon it up all playoffs. 

McDonough just sucks. NOBODY gives a fuck that some players are from or went to school in Massholia. AND NOBODY GIVES  FUCK A PLAYER NAMED EVAN HAS NEVER WON THE CUP. Follow the game. And generally spare the soft spot we have for Messier, the ESPN broadcast is awful; what's with showing players seat themselves on the bench while the puck is in play, or the vertigo camera angles? Looks like they do so little hockey they don't know or care about quality. 

Ferraro wants to keep his job so he’s not going to criticize the refs on the air. 

• Like 1

Brooks; shots fired-  

https://nypost.com/2024/06/15/sports/time-is-now-for-rangers-to-move-on-from-playoff-hero-barclay-goodrow/

"The moment the NHL decided not to prosecute cheap-shot-artist-on-cheap-shot-artist crime when Sam Bennett’s Game 3 rabbit punch to Brad Marchand’s jaw KO’d the Boston center for the remainder of the second-round series is the moment the NHL endorsed the Panthers’ candidacy for the Cup. 

It’s not even about officiating standards at this point. It is about player safety. But of course, it is so rarely about player safety. 

Isn’t it time for the league to create a Department of Player Safety? 

Sometimes the sacrifice is awe-inspiring, and so is the physical commitment over the course of the playoffs. 

But I think it would be equally as satisfying and perhaps more entertaining if the playoffs presented the same showcase of skill that the league exhibits over six months. "

Edited by Bugg
  • The Chyt! 2