• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Filip Chytil Situation: Blessing or Curse?

21 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The problem with this point of view is that it assumes there is real growth available in the core and the truth is there is no growth possible in the core.

The only players the Rangers skated this year who are *likely* to be better in two years are Laf and Cuylle.  All of the other people we think of as stars or potential stars are already on the downside or have stubbornly refused to grow on their own.

20 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Immediate gratification that leads to disappointment. I know it’s what Drury will do, but it doesn’t make it less gross. Tripling down on the bums when you’ve got a 1OA franchise player’s prime coming up is just insane. The thought of it just churns my stomach….brb

throw up team america GIF

Let me clarify. When I say "fuck the future," I don't mean to completely ignore the fact that a second window looks like it could be developing on the horizon. What I mean is to focus much more on what's gotten you this far, now, because not only are a bunch of these players not guaranteed to be part of that would-be second window, but those that are—Shesterkin, at the very least—are going to be twice as expensive in it.

The Rangers are good but flawed. Fix those flaws as best you can and shoot your shot while you can. If that means somewhat ignoring what 2028 might look like, good. Too many things can happen between now and then to keep your focus that far in the distance. Don't miss the forest through the trees.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Let me clarify. When I say "fuck the future," I don't mean to completely ignore the fact that a second window looks like it could be developing on the horizon. What I mean is to focus much more on what's gotten you this far, now, because not only are a bunch of these players not guaranteed to be part of that would-be second window, but those that — Shesterkin, at the very least — are going to be twice as expensive in it.

The Rangers are good but flawed. Fix those flaws as best you can and shoot your shot while you can. If that means somewhat ignoring what 2028 might look like, good. Too many things can happen between now and then to keep your focus that far in the distance. Don't miss the forest through the trees.

Bingo. Let's be honest, no NHL team is going to tear it down to the studs if they were in the Ranger's position. That's fan fiction. You get that close, you keep taking cracks until you can't get that close anymore. Teams that make the conference final don't say "gotta take it apart for 2028!"

Edited by Pete

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Bingo. Let's be honest, no NHL team is going to tear it down to the studs if they were in the Ranger's position. That's fan fiction. You get that close, you keep taking cracks until you can't get that close anymore. Teams that make the conference final don't say "gotta take it apart for 2028!"

And thus the Maple Leafs are born.

1 minute ago, Pete said:

It's literally what HAS to be done due to trade protections. You take your cracks with Igor while you have him. Then you think about what comes next when guys like Trouba (assuming he isn't moved this summer), Kreider, Panarin, are off the books.

It doesn’t though. You can’t trade everyone at the same time. You do it in increments and you start with who is tradeable. They don’t have to do a full tear down here. Trouba and Kreider can’t provide a blanket no. If that’s all you can do for now then that’s all you can do. If you know they aren’t winning, it doesn’t really matter which ones go first.

Drury should be gauging interest in Panarin/Zib, and if something looks tangible you bring it to them to make a decision. If they say no, ok, nothing you can do. Panarin only two years anyway so it’s whatever.

Just now, Br4d said:

And thus the Maple Leafs are born.

Wrong. Because the Leafs never make it out of the first round.

Counter with Tampa who had a record-breaking season, got swept by Lumbus, and then Ran it back for 2 Cups.

I don't care if people don't like hearing it, it's undeniable fact that they were a goal away in every game.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

It doesn’t though. You can’t trade everyone at the same time. You do it in increments and you start with who is tradeable. They don’t have to do a full tear down here. Trouba and Kreider can’t provide a blanket no. If that’s all you can do for now then that’s all you can do. If you know they aren’t winning, it doesn’t really matter which ones go first.

Drury should be gauging interest in Panarin/Zib, and if something looks tangible you bring it to them to make a decision. If they say no, ok, nothing you can do. Panarin only two years anyway so it’s whatever.

Starting backwards, I think that's just why they ride out the 2 years and take 2 more cracks.

Otherwise agree on Trouba and Kreider. But you can't fuck the cap with a ton of retention on Trouba. Kreider alone might get you 1-2 nice pieces to help fix the current squad.

11 minutes ago, Phil said:

Let me clarify. When I say "fuck the future," I don't mean to completely ignore the fact that a second window looks like it could be developing on the horizon. What I mean is to focus much more on what's gotten you this far, now, because not only are a bunch of these players not guaranteed to be part of that would-be second window, but those that are—Shesterkin, at the very least—are going to be twice as expensive in it.

I get that, but the first window was the last 3 years. Panarin and Trocheck just had career years. Trocheck had 20 points in 16 playoff games. Goodrow scored 6 goals in the playoffs. Igor just had a Conn Smythe quality playoff run. They had a pushover opponent round 1, sweep, lots of rest. Kreider natty hatted Carolina out of no where in one period while blowing a 3-0 lead was all but a sure thing and it was going to go to a game 7 with the Canes carrying all the momentum. 4-1 in OT games. I mean damn near everything broke in their favor. They got all that and still showed how far away they are getting pummeled off the ice by Florida.

Most teams don't have to manage multiple contention windows. They go for it with their franchise players and then they have to rebuild. The hardest part of managing multiple contention windows is knowing when to start adjusting focus to the next one. If the Rangers didn't have Lafreniere at 23 and Fox at 26, I'd be with you because there wouldn't be another window visible. One or two more low percentage heave hos before tearing it completely down in search of the next franchise players. There's too much at stake tripling down on these guys for another year.

• Applause 1

24 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yup. Or, if they do, it's out of sheer dumb luck like Florida. They made that move for Tkachuk because the fucking stars aligned, not because they pursued it vigorously. I'm not entirely sure they do that exact same culture change move if he doesn't basically request out the way he did.

33 minutes ago, Pete said:

Run it back again!  Yessir.  We're close, and we're still very good, and we can get back to the playoffs with what we have currently.  We make the necessary TDL moves next season when the time comes and we push it again, until we can't.

Sign me up!

• Believe 1