• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Matt Rempe Ready to Get to Work Becoming More Complete Rangers Threat

All the Rangers have to do is help Rempe become a better forechecker.

You can't teach 6'8" 250 which is likely where he will wind up.

His stride will help a lot in mid-ice and getting back on defense.

After his playoff performance I doubt Goodrow is going anywhere.  They need more guys to play like him in the playoffs.  Vesey is a cheap 12th forward who kills penalties and can slot up when needed who also plays both wings.  Doubt he gets moved either.   The players that they should think about moving are guys like Chytil if there’s any kind of market for him.  

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

The Rangers need cap space this off-season even more than they needed it last season.

Bigger contracts in the offing this year.

Even more important is the following year. Saving $2.5 million on a 4C sure makes it easier to handle the Rangers almost definitely paying Shesterkin $11 million, and possibly Lafreniere $8+. Then you’ve got Miller.

I get a lot of people want to have tunnel vision like only next season matters and they want to do what equates to some version of an all in push again, but we aren’t talking 5 years out here. It’s one more season away.

• Keeps it 100 1

52 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The Rangers have the pieces for an excellent 4th line, they just have to free it up. No more Goodrow and no more vanilla Vesey.

Berard-Edstrom-Rempe

Need to stop being scared of change.

Berard should never be on a 4th line and Edstrom hasn't played any C in North America. So there's really only one internal option for the 4th and that's Edstrom on the wing. No one else is ready or suitable.

10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Even more important is the following year. Saving $2.5 million on a 4C sure makes it easier to handle the Rangers almost definitely paying Shesterkin $11 million, and possibly Lafreniere $8+. Then you’ve got Miller.

I get a lot of people want to have tunnel vision like only next season matters and they want to do what equates to some version of an all in push again, but we aren’t talking 5 years out here. It’s one more season away.

Also assuming we don't extend him this off-season we have to be ready to extend Laf during the season next year if he continues or exceeds the growth he has shown this year.

We do not ever want him to get to RFA status because then the league will be collectively negotiating his next contract and that cannot be good for us in a scenario where he is proving out, let alone turning into a major star.

If somebody actually put an offer-sheet out there at McJesus levels we might have to take the picks and that would absolutely destroy the 2nd window here and put us in wait-and-see mode again.

8 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Berard should never be on a 4th line and Edstrom hasn't played any C in North America. So there's really only one internal option for the 4th and that's Edstrom on the wing. No one else is ready or suitable.

Rempe has played C and he'd be fine there on a 4th/checking line.

13 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I don’t see why a player who profiles as a 3rd liner can’t start with some minutes on the 4th line.

Re: Edstrom that doesn’t mean anything to me. He’s been over here for 5 minutes and he looked good at this level when given an opportunity. No hesitation putting him at center, especially if Brodzinski is on the roster as the healthy scratch behind him.

6 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

In junior. He hasn't played any professionally. When he does, then you can consider him an option.

I was just going by Wikipedia, which says he played both wing and center for Hartford last season.

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don’t see why a player who profiles as a 3rd liner can’t start with some minutes on the 4th line.

Re: Edstrom that doesn’t mean anything to me. He’s been over here for 5 minutes and he looked good at this level when given an opportunity. No hesitation putting him at center, especially if Brodzinski is on the roster as the healthy scratch behind him.

Because he doesn't play like a prototypical 4th liner? Also, a third line skillset doesn't always translate to a fourth line skill set. Berard is feisty and can play defensively, but why are you putting a player who has offensive tools like his on the 4th line? And why? There's a third line spot that's potentially open for competition.

That's fine but the organization hasn't played him at center in either Hartford or New York. If they thought he was a surefire center then they'd likely have kept him at a position they're thin on organizationally.

3 minutes ago, Br4d said:

I was just going by Wikipedia, which says he played both wing and center for Hartford last season.

Right. And I'm going by my firsthand knowledge of having watched him at levels below the NHL. I know Rempe can play center but he has not been playing center.

• Like 1
  • The Chyt! 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Because he doesn't play like a prototypical 4th liner? Also, a third line skillset doesn't always translate to a fourth line skill set. Berard is feisty and can play defensively, but why are you putting a player who has offensive tools like his on the 4th line? And why? There's a third line spot that's potentially open for competition.

That's fine but the organization hasn't played him at center in either Hartford or New York. If they thought he was a surefire center then they'd likely have kept him at a position they're thin on organizationally.

Edmonton has Henrique and Connor Brown on their 4th line. There’s more than 1 way to skin a cat. I just don’t see anything wrong with starting a mid-6 ceiling type of player on the 4th line. It gets him exposed and involved at this level in a reasonable way, and nothing says he can’t earn his way up. It’s not like Cuylle and Kakko are impossible to leapfrog.

Edstrom has been in the states for what, 12 months? I don’t think he’s locked into a position.

Edström’s versatility is a big advantage and he has no preference for any forward position. “I feel comfortable playing both wing and center, all I can see is a upside to my game,” Adam noted. “I learned how to play both positions and feel like I can use that to my advantage in different situations on the ice”.

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/new-york-rangers-prospect-adam-edstrom-looking-to-continue-progress/amp/

Edited by BrooksBurner
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Br4d said:

You can't teach big.  I'm excited about these guys in the bottom 6 over the next few seasons!

Both of them are big and can skate, you are correct these are not teachable. 

The twin towers are exactly what you want in the playoffs so I’d hope we can grow their game this year to the point where the coach trusts them to play 8-10 a night. Nobody wants to play against these two.

• Like 1
  • Believe 1

4 hours ago, Dunny said:

Playing 2 or 3 rookies on the 4th line is a recipe for failure. They'll play 4 minutes.

Neither Rempe nor Edstrom are rookies any more.

They both played in the NHL this season.