• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Free Agent Target: Patrick Kane; Update: Re-Signs with Red Wings

Kane is worth keeping an eye on as free agency nears, especially if the Rangers don’t clear the space needed to go for Guentzel. The 35-year-old’s half-season Rangers stint in 2022-23 didn’t go as planned, with the Rangers failing to make it out of the first round and Kane looking compromised by his hip injury. He has at least some interest in rewriting his ending with the Rangers and could be a cheaper option than the likes of top free agents Guentzel and Reinhart, who will command more money with longer term.

The Rangers could likely afford Kane right now without any other moves, especially if Kane sees a reunion with the Rangers as unfinished business after his injury-hampered stint in 2022-23, when he played through a badly damaged hip following his trade from the Blackhawks and wasn’t able to be consistently productive.

Kane is likely seeking a two- or three-year term though the Rangers might prefer a one-year deal with over-35 performance bonuses that wouldn’t affect this year’s cap, leaving Drury free to add elsewhere around his lineup or preserve some space heading toward the 2024-25 trade deadline, where he’s been very active the last three seasons.

The dominoes will fall fast on Monday and surely the Rangers will have a good idea of where things are heading with Guentzel by then.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5590597/2024/06/25/rangers-guentzel-kane-shesterkin/

LAS VEGAS — Stop me if you’ve heard this before, but the Rangers are interested in bringing Patrick Kane (back) to Broadway.

Very interested.

But it is our best information that the Blueshirts have their eyes trained on a reunion with Kane, whose 19-game cameo following the 2023 deadline when he was compromised because of hip issues left everyone wanting more.

The notion of both the Rangers and Kane feeling that there is unfinished business to address fits a romantic narrative. There’s certainly some truth to that. But romance has nothing to do with crafting a contract agreement. Kane — who may choose to remain in Detroit — is in control here.

https://nypost.com/2024/06/26/sports/rangers-focused-on-patrick-kane-reunion-as-nhl-free-agency-looms/

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

There is a lot of Kane/NYR smoke. At this point, it seems like this is likely to happen on Monday.

I'm not giddy about him being the first choice and signing on the first day of free agency, but if they know they're out on Guentzel (who I would question if he'd do as well on the right side as he has on the left)...I guess?

The fact that other teams around the league are going to be trying to sign him July 1st just goes to show you how highly regarded he is, and he's a top target who will not be there on day two of free agency.

44 minutes ago, siddious said:

In an ideal world not my first choice but I’ll take Kane over Roslovic kakko or…. Oh wait we don’t have any other RW’s in the system

The Rangers' first priority should be to upgrade their speed, defense, and physicality.  Afterwards, they can sign Kane if they have enough cap space.

21 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

The Rangers' first priority should be to upgrade their speed, defense, and physicality.  Afterwards, they can sign Kane if they have enough cap space.

Do you type that every single time, or do you just copy and paste from a giant Google doc?

Edited by Pete

3 hours ago, Rangers1994 said:

I agree. For me its still a major gamble with Kane after his hip procedure. I just dont trust it. 

I'll take my chances with Kane.  We're not getting Guentzel, I'm sold on that, so Kane is so bad?

Yeah, I'm really gonna hate Mika with a playmaker on his line that frees him up to shoot more!!  Come on fellas, it's fucking Patrick Kane.  He's 35, not 55!  I get the hip thing, but there's risk with reward here that I think is worth the gamble.

There's nothing that will happen structurally to his hip in game 51 that didn't happen in games 1-50. He's at the same level of risk of injury as anyone else.

And he'll have a summer of rest not rehab.

And he'll have a full training camp, and it would be with the Rangers so he doesn't have to worry about coming in at the TDL and messing with chemistry.

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

The haters will have to accept that he will be a Ranger on Monday.

Yes, wed' have been better off with Tyler Bertuzzi, especially in the playoffs where he's never been out of the first round.

I still think with a full camp, you can see Kane potentially put up 75-80 points if he stays healthy. At what he likely will get contract wise, it’s a bargain.

And before people come in with the shit that he doesn’t add size, you can still add size elsewhere.

What he does add is the fact that the 1RW position won’t be a gaping hole for 82 games.

1 minute ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I still think with a full camp, you can see Kane potentially put up 75-80 points if he stays healthy. At what he likely will get contract wise, it’s a bargain.

And before people come in with the shit that he doesn’t add size, you can still add size elsewhere.

What he does add is the fact that the 1RW position won’t be a gaping hole for 82 games.

Exactly, sir!  Even if he gives us a 60 point season, it's WAY better than anything we've seen on Mika's line since I can't even remember!

His "value" will also allow us to address the gaping failure we have at the 3rd pair defenseman spot.  I hope Mr. Trouba like the Lions this fall!