• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Free Agent Target: Patrick Kane; Update: Re-Signs with Red Wings

25 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I look at the past but not how you are suggesting that I look at it. They've lost to different teams, so no they shouldn't chase "how to beat Florida" specifically.

2 seasons ago they lost to a team that was more experienced, structured, and had a better forecheck than them in Tampa.

1 season ago they lost to a team that was faster and had a better forecheck than them in New Jersey.

This year they lost to a team that was bigger, stronger, and had a better forecheck than them in Florida.

The commonality from my point of view is the Rangers can't stop a good forecheck, and they struggle mightily to create a good one of their own. Whether the forecheck is driven by speed or physicality, it doesn't matter. They can't prevent it and they consistently get pinned in their own end. It's no way to win a Cup.

This makes sense, and I get you. That also doesn't suggest that you have to tear everything down the way you normally suggest they should.

30 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I look at the past but not how you are suggesting that I look at it. They've lost to different teams, so no they shouldn't chase "how to beat Florida" specifically.

2 seasons ago they lost to a team that was more experienced, structured, and had a better forecheck than them in Tampa.

1 season ago they lost to a team that was faster and had a better forecheck than them in New Jersey.

This year they lost to a team that was bigger, stronger, and had a better forecheck than them in Florida.

The commonality from my point of view is the Rangers can't stop a good forecheck, and they struggle mightily to create a good one of their own. Whether the forecheck is driven by speed or physicality, it doesn't matter. They can't prevent it and they consistently get pinned in their own end. It's no way to win a Cup.

Yep:Rangers need to become more physical, faster, and more disciplined defensively.

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

This makes sense, and I get you. That also doesn't suggest that you have to tear everything down the way you normally suggest they should.

I think I just want to get rid of one more player than you do? It's not that big of a gap.

Listen, you believe in the core to be able to find a way to play the way they need to play. I don't. It's that simple.

Back on topic: adding Kane doesn't help fix it IMO.

1 minute ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think I just want to get rid of one more player than you do? It's not that big of a gap.

Listen, you believe in the core to be able to find a way to play the way they need to play. I don't. It's that simple.

I’d even suggest that adding Kane would be detrimental 

Just now, Albatrosss said:

I’d even suggest that adding Kane would be detrimental 

Not sure that adding Kane would detriment the Rangers.  But it's not their main priority.  They gotta strengthen their physicality and defense.

Would be nice to get the Monkey off of Canada's back at this point before the Rangers record run of cups.  🙂

The thing that was different between '94 and last season?

The last Canadian team to win a cup was Montreal in '93 and not since then.

1 minute ago, Br4d said:

Would be nice to get the Monkey off of Canada's back at this point before the Rangers record run of cups.  🙂

The thing that was different between '94 and last season?

The last Canadian team to win a cup was Montreal in '93 and not since then.

Sad.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I would get rid of anyone if it would help the team, the problem is the person you want to get rid of doesn't help the team get better. 

It's not about me believing in the core, it's about me believing that's not much they can do about the core and understanding that the core was pretty close. 

So I'm not about to spend the next 6 months of a hockey season being miserable that they didn't make changes that they couldn't possibly make in the real world. I'm just going to get behind the team they put on the ice because ultimately there is no other choice. I don't make decisions for this team, I only decide if I'm going to back them or not. 

If I decide not to back them I'm not going to whine about it for 6 months, I'm just going to pay less attention to them. It's all about how you approach it. 

So to the point of adding Kane... If it provides more entertainment value go for it. 

Edited by Pete

10 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

Watching the oilers vs Florida—rangers had no chance

Rangers only chance in the series was that Igor stood on his head in 4 games and they got some very lucky breaks alongside that.

7 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Rangers only chance in the series was that Igor stood on his head in 4 games and they got some very lucky breaks alongside that.

And if the Rangers special teams had dominated....

Just now, Rangers1994 said:

And if the Rangers special teams had dominated....

It would have been a series of lucky breaks that let that happen if it did.

Panthers power play and PK were both among the NHL's best last season.

9 minutes ago, Br4d said:

With Trouba playing the way he was and Zibby’s disappearing act, even with Shesty standing on his head would not have been enough. 

9 hours ago, Pete said:

I would get rid of anyone if it would help the team, the problem is the person you want to get rid of doesn't help the team get better. 

It's not about me believing in the core, it's about me believing that's not much they can do about the core and understanding that the core was pretty close. 

So I'm not about to spend the next 6 months of a hockey season being miserable that they didn't make changes that they couldn't possibly make in the real world. I'm just going to get behind the team they put on the ice because ultimately there is no other choice. I don't make decisions for this team, I only decide if I'm going to back them or not. 

If I decide not to back them I'm not going to whine about it for 6 months, I'm just going to pay less attention to them. It's all about how you approach it. 

So to the point of adding Kane... If it provides more entertainment value go for it. 

I agree in general. Sports means less the older you get. Everyone starts to look younger and younger. It’s also easier to hold a variety of opinions without it affecting enjoyment, entertainment, or wanting to see the team win.

With that said, you were just here like 10 days ago trying to take a shit on a group of posters directly after the game 3 OT win. Instead of celebrating, you were on here trying to rub noses in the dirt as if there were people unhappy about a huge win. The team got obliterated after that, and now you’re in here with these posts about “I just want to be entertained on random nights in November and December”. I don’t buy it.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I agree in general. Sports means less the older you get. Everyone starts to look younger and younger. It’s also easier to hold a variety of opinions without it affecting enjoyment, entertainment, or wanting to see the team win.

With that said, you were just here like 10 days ago trying to take a shit on a group of posters directly after the game 3 OT win. Instead of celebrating, you were on here trying to rub noses in the dirt as if there were people unhappy about a huge win. The team got obliterated after that, and now you’re in here with these posts about “I just want to be entertained on random nights in November and December”. I don’t buy it.

OK.  So if getting Kane would be the purpose of using him as a ornament, then it would not be worth signing him,. In that case, the money would be better spent on UFAs would could help with team defense and physicality.

Edited by Rangers1994

17 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

OK.  So if getting Kane would be the purpose of using him as a ornament, then it would not be worth signing them,. In that case, the money would be better spent on UFAs would could help with team defense and physicality.

That is my opinion, yes.

I see a spot for Kane if the right trades are made though.