• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Free Agent Target: Patrick Kane; Update: Re-Signs with Red Wings

That ship has sailed. I wonder if he'd just go back to Detroit? Original Six, up and coming team, DeBrincat there. Although, he does want to be on a contender, and the Red Wings aren't quite there yet. It is a good fit for him, though. Maybe a team like Dallas or something.

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

It also sounds like he would take a cut to come here.

If we could get it done at 1-year or even 2 at $3.5AAV, I’d be so in.

Because you're excited to get older, slower, and stay soft-skill only?

Count me out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Because you're excited to get older, slower, and stay soft-skill only?

Count me out.

I’d love to get a young, big, 20 year old who’s fast and can score 25-30 goals. Fact of the matter is if that guy existed, we likely couldn’t afford him.

That line needs a puck transporter. Kane can alleviate Zibanejad from having to make zone entries. He can also produce. Is it the most ideal? Absolutely not. But if we need to be a bit frugal cap wise, not the worst option.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 10:15 PM, siddious said:

No.

love the player but older is not what this team

needs to get. Nor do they need more high end talent that doesn’t go to the dirty areas. 

What they are need are guys who can play in the playoffs. Pretty sure this fella can.

3 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’d love to get a young, big, 20 year old who’s fast and can score 25-30 goals. Fact of the matter is if that guy existed, we likely couldn’t afford him.

That line needs a puck transporter. Kane can alleviate Zibanejad from having to make zone entries. He can also produce. Is it the most ideal? Absolutely not. But if we need to be a bit frugal cap wise, not the worst option.

Transport where, the retirement home? He's slow as fuck. That entire line will move like a snail. It's the hardest of passes from me.

• LMFAO 1

2 minutes ago, Blueshirts1926 said:

Edmonton is showing how to beat Florida by playing fast and strong. Those two words is not what you get when signing Kane, bad idea.

But the assignment isn't to beat Florida. The assignment is to win the Stanley Cup. 

Last summer we needed to build a team capable of beating the Devils, who weren't even in the playoffs this season. 

Edited by Pete

2 hours ago, Blueshirts1926 said:

Edmonton is showing how to beat Florida by playing fast and strong. Those two words is not what you get when signing Kane, bad idea.

Agreed. Pass on Kane.  Concentrate on strengthening team physicality, speed, and defense.

10 hours ago, Pete said:

But the assignment isn't to beat Florida. The assignment is to win the Stanley Cup. 

Last summer we needed to build a team capable of beating the Devils, who weren't even in the playoffs this season. 

Yup.

A point everyone, including much of the media, seems to be missing or ignoring.

The goal is to get better. 

The goal is to get better. And every year, the better teams are bigger, faster, stronger, not older, slower, soft-skill only.

I have no doubt Kane would do fine in the regular season, but I have very reason to doubt that the outcome won't meaningfully change in the post season if they don't meaningfully change their composition.

Kane was good for us in the postseason when he was healthy, but I know what you mean. lol I think it's a senseless topic, and really has no chance of happening. Although my Kane fandom still wouldn't complain if it did, despite completely understanding your points. 😆

They lost because of how they're built. If they run into a team who takes the middle of the ice away again — a high likelihood given Florida and Boston still exist — the same thing is gonna happen again. If you change nothing, nothing will change.

I’ve said it before, I’m good with Kane if Panarin is traded. Soft for soft, but LW for RW is a plus, and Kane has a proven track record in the playoffs while Panarin has…not that. Kane can offset a good amount of Panarin’s lost production. You just can’t have both because it’s too much of the same style on this team.

Be a cutthroat, Drury. Make it uncomfortable at the very least.

Edited by BrooksBurner

40 minutes ago, Phil said:

The goal is to get better. And every year, the better teams are bigger, faster, stronger, not older, slower, soft-skill only.

I have no doubt Kane would do fine in the regular season, but I have very reason to doubt that the outcome won't meaningfully change in the post season if they don't meaningfully change their composition.

I’m not advocating for Kane. 

Do I think he’s worth a look and some consideration? Sure.

The team is a contender, and I think he would want to run it back here after last season's disappointment. But, yeah, I really don't think it's going to happen even though it checks some boxes for him. I think a team like Dallas is a more likely destination.