• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Free Agent Target: Patrick Kane; Update: Re-Signs with Red Wings

4 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

The overarching point is Kane doesn’t make the kind of difference that is required. If that’s the best they can do this summer, they’re better off getting the ball rolling on the next window.

Then the Rangers should sign Stamkos or Reinhart instead..

I don’t know how you can theorize that Patrick Kane, who had 20 goals and 47 points in just 50 games, doesn’t make the Rangers respectably better in a playoff series on that line than Jack Roslovic does.

Again, like I and many others are saying: he should NOT be Option 1. But if he is willing to sign cheap on a short term deal that fits in our budget, it makes sense in the event other primary targets are out of our cap range.

The guy still distributes the puck. And quite well. Much better than anyone else who played on that line last year did. Who is to say he doesn’t Mika better?

Question for you salary cap junkies/nerds/friends:

Kane is over 35. Isn’t he eligible for a contract with bonuses if it’s on a 1-Year Deal? Found this:

Performance Bonuses are paid to players based on their achievements and are not guaranteed.  Only certain players are eligible for performance bonuses in their contract:

-Entry-Level Contract Players

-Players that are 35 years or older and sign a 1 year contract

-Players with a minimum of 400 NHL Games Played signing a 1 year contract after having a long-term injury.  A long-term injury is defined as a player on Injured Reserve for a minimum of 100 days in the last year. 

While performance bonuses count against the salary cap, teams are permitted to exceed the salary cap due to performance bonuses, to a maximum of 7.5% of the Salary Cap.  

https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/performance-bonuses-and-carryovers

In theory, and please correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t Kane then theoretically sign a cheaper contract and have a performance bonus attached to it? Perhaps an easily attained one, and that if it activates, it can max out at 7.5% of the cap which would add $6.6 Million on to the $88 Million dollar cap?

@Pete and @BrooksBurner : I did the math right this time!

Honestly, am I reading that wrong? Because then in theory, can’t the Rangers potentially sign Kane to a deal similar to what Wheeler got, attach some bonuses that he likely can and should attain, and then have that extra cap room to play with? Obviously, he wouldn’t get all of the bonus allotment. Say if he triggers it, it can be an extra $2.5 Million but we have the extra room then, no? Because if that’s the case, you can potentially sign Kane and another impact forward. Whether it be a center, or another winger.

• LMFAO 1

11 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Question for you salary cap junkies/nerds/friends:

Kane is over 35. Isn’t he eligible for a contract with bonuses if it’s on a 1-Year Deal? Found this:

https://puckpedia.com/salary-cap/performance-bonuses-and-carryovers

In theory, and please correct me if I’m wrong, but can’t Kane then theoretically sign a cheaper contract and have a performance bonus attached to it? Perhaps an easily attained one, and that if it activates, it can max out at 7.5% of the cap which would add $6.6 Million on to the $88 Million dollar cap?

@Pete and @BrooksBurner : I did the math right this time!

Honestly, am I reading that wrong? Because then in theory, can’t the Rangers potentially sign Kane to a deal similar to what Wheeler got, attach some bonuses that he likely can and should attain, and then have that extra cap room to play with? Obviously, he wouldn’t get all of the bonus allotment. Say if he triggers it, it can be an extra $2.5 Million but we have the extra room then, no? Because if that’s the case, you can potentially sign Kane and another impact forward. Whether it be a center, or another winger.

I mean they can do that, but Igor/Laffy/Miller/Kakko all need new contracts for the following year unless something changes. Several others players like Rempe Jones Cuylle Edstrom who might be due raises by then based on their performance next year are also RFAs. I’m not sure they want significant performance bonuses rolling over. They’ll probably need every penny they can get

• Keeps it 100 1

21 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I mean they can do that, but Igor/Laffy/Miller/Kakko all need new contracts for the following year unless something changes. Several others players like Rempe Jones Cuylle Edstrom who might be due raises by then based on their performance next year are also RFAs. I’m not sure they want significant performance bonuses rolling over. They’ll probably need every penny they can get

They should use the money to sign Kevin Stenlund as a 3rd or 4th line center.

On 6/20/2024 at 4:46 PM, Pete said:

I think you need to check Kane's EDGE data. He takes more shots and scores more goals from the middle of the ice than you give him credit for. It's where a majority of them come from. 

On 6/20/2024 at 4:50 PM, RangersIn7 said:

Two things with Kane.

1) He is not, nor has he ever been, a “perimeter” player.

2) He isn’t slow either.

🎬

On 6/20/2024 at 10:45 PM, Rangers1994 said:

The Rangers may be better off signing either Reinhart or Stamkos.  Size, skill, leadership, and strength.

On 6/20/2024 at 10:47 PM, Rangers1994 said:

Then the Rangers should sign Stamkos or Reinhart instead..

Unfortunately, for the last two decades there's been this pesky thing called the salary cap.  So the Rangers can't just throw any amount of money to any player they want to as they did pre 2004.

• Like 1

Take this with the biggest grain of salt, but there's a rumor they're working on finalizing the paperwork and it'll be submitted on July 1. Comes via some super small twitter account that's accurately leaked a few things.

26 minutes ago, torontonyr said:

Take this with the biggest grain of salt, but there's a rumor they're working on finalizing the paperwork and it'll be submitted on July 1. Comes via some super small twitter account that's accurately leaked a few things.

I saw that, but just assumed it was same spam account. That guys been right in the past you’re saying?

2 hours ago, torontonyr said:

Oh, that's juicy. Hopefully it works out.

You still need to upgrade the defense and physicality.  Signing Schneider and Lindgren alone will bring the cap space down to $6 million.  Sure, Kane will put up points on the board.  But he won't help the Rangers fill their greatest needs.

7 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I saw that, but just assumed it was same spam account. That guys been right in the past you’re saying?

He apparently had the Leafs coaching scoop before mainstream insiders and a couple of other things.

Yeah I ain’t going 3. Maybe 2 if the AAV is low. I’d prefer 1. But if he agrees to a low AAV deal, I’d go 2.

If he has a bone to pick with us and trying to right what he views as a wrong, I’d hope he would try and do us a favor. We moved Heaven and Earth to get him here. I do think if there’s a team he would be open to working with, it probably is us.

The problem is, the lower AAV would likely come with term, not a one-year deal. That, and the story on him in the media has been that he wants stability. I'm just throwing shit at a wall and guessing, but my hunch is something like two years, $5 million per.

I would be more around $3 Million per. Guess the one advantage is he’s been in that room, and hopefully would take a bit of a haircut to come in and take a chance at winning here knowing that there is work to be done with the cap and that he has made his money already in his career.

Maybe 2 years, $3.5 Million per with some kind of a bonus attached if he hits 70 points?

• Like 1

Of all the RW out there, I'd prefer Kane.  I don't want a giant contract on the books, and Kane's proven he's still got it with Detroit. 47 points in 50 games says enough to me - 32 at ES.

Give him 2 years at 4-5 per - fine. That's the RW answer for KZ - they say they need a passer? He's a great passer.. It keeps the cap structure in order and adds a high-quality player at an affordable clip. The contract can be structured to easily avoid the pitfalls of 35+ deals.

To me, this is the move. Him, or Arvidsson.  

• Believe 1

I'd love to see his zone entry data. If this is going to work, he needs to be able to successfully transport the puck and gain the zone with possession, as well as Kreider becoming much more workman like with puck retrievals. 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'd love to see his zone entry data. If this is going to work, he needs to be able to successfully transport the puck and gain the zone with possession, as well as Kreider becoming much more workman like with puck retrievals. 

I'd actually like to see them separate Mika and Kreider for 5v5, and just use the Mika/CK20 connection for the PP.  I'd really love to see them put Cuylle up there with Kane and Mika.

That would be a sweet #2 Line to go behind Tro/Laff/Panarin.