• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Free Agent Target: Sean Walker

1 hour ago, Rangers1994 said:

Since the Rangers need to strengthen their defense anyway, would signing Sean Walker help?

How would you add him? What would you pay him? How would he help?

Walker is going to be out of our price range on the blue line. He’s looking at around 4 or 5 years at around $5M AAV. In the event they don’t move Trouba, there’s a chance they don’t make any moves on the blue line. Jones likely steps in for Gustafsson. Chances are the Rangers find common ground with Lindgren, and Schneider should be more of a formality than any other contract negotiation this summer.

The only way they add on the blue line is if they decide to make a move that alleviates them of Troubas deal. And if they do that, I still don’t think they break the bank on defense. They would look for a suitable physical guy, and likely use that new-found room up front on help up front and preferably short-term so they have some room to play around with for Lafreniere and Shesterkin the following off-season.

I’ve brought up Brenden Dillon. He’s huge, hits, has experience, doesn't back down. He’s 33. Likely short-term deal. Shouldn’t be a bad AAV. I know he isn’t on the proper side, but I believe he’s played both sides at points in his career. But again, that likely only makes sense if they move on from Trouba. Or, if they ultimately decide to not re-sign Lindgren, which I don’t foresee but who knows? After the way Drury spoke the other day, I’m in the “Nothing Would Surprise Me” camp.

1) I imagine that Walker would help on the PK, I would pay him 3-4 years at $4 million per.

2) Problem with Dillon is that if you're still contending for the Cup which the Rangers are still doing you don't give Dillion a short term contract.  You may need to give him long term say 4-5 years.

There's no "Laf window".

Now Perrault... When he gets here, that's going to be when shit gets real again.

Lafreniere isn't going to single-handedly carry the entire team without a supporting cast. He's going to need Perrault at the top of the lineup and guys like Othmann and Berard down the lineup. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

There's no "Laf window".

Now Perrault... When he gets here, that's going to be when shit gets real again.

Lafreniere isn't going to single-handedly carry the entire team without a supporting cast. He's going to need Perrault at the top of the lineup and guys like Othmann and Berard down the lineup. 

They shouldn’t pin the success of Laf’s prime on an unproven prospect being an immediate star. There’s going to be signings and they need to jive with Laf’s timeline. The hope should be that Perreault can be a cheap piece that accentuates the roster and helps put them over the top for the first 3 years of his career.

• Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

They shouldn’t pin the success of Laf’s prime on an unproven prospect being an immediate star. There’s going to be signings and they need to jive with Laf’s timeline. The hope should be that Perreault can be a cheap piece that accentuates the roster and helps put them over the top for the first 3 years of his career.

You're not saying anything different than I'm saying. 

The major difference is I'm thinking about the next phase of building to make the team into a winner, and you're thinking about one player's success. Unfortunately that one player having success will not be enough to build a winner on its own. 

As good as he was this season, It's pretty clear at this point he's a big piece, not the piece. Plus he's 22. There is no window. He has his whole career in front of him. The "window" is 10 years if you even want to call it a window which at this point would be silly.

If there's an organizational timeline, I doubt it's based around one player, at least it shouldn't be. 

Edited by Pete

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Pete said:

You're not saying anything different than I'm saying. 

The major difference is I'm thinking about the next phase of building to make the team into a winner, and you're thinking about one player's success. Unfortunately that one player having success will not be enough to build a winner on its own. 

As good as he was this season, It's pretty clear at this point he's a big piece, not the piece. Plus he's 22. There is no window. He has his whole career in front of him. The "window" is 10 years if you even want to call it a window which at this point would be silly.

If there's an organizational timeline, I doubt it's based around one player, at least it shouldn't be. 

No. You’re only thinking about how Panarin can entertain you with a sick backhand top shelf goal in an OT shootout against the Sharks in November. I’m only thinking about the best way the Rangers can succeed and win a Cup, creating lasting memories for the rest of our lives.

That’s the difference 😉

Edited by BrooksBurner

57 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

No. You’re only thinking about how Panarin can entertain you with a sick backhand top shelf goal in an OT shootout against the Sharks in November. I’m only thinking about the best way the Rangers can succeed and win a Cup, creating lasting memories for the rest of our lives.

That’s the difference 😉

The other difference is that I'll be enjoying myself all season while you'll just continue to be angry over decisions that aren't in your hands. 

I know what position I'd rather be in. 

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

The other difference is that I'll be enjoying myself all season while you'll just continue to be angry over decisions that aren't in your hands. 

I know what position I'd rather be in. 

I’m too old now. I don’t actually get angry about sports.

I only get angry when @Albatrosss doesn’t send me nudes.

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I’m too old now. I don’t actually get angry about sports.

I only get angry when @Albatrosss doesn’t send me nudes.

I'll forward them to you. The guy propositions me at least four times a week, aside from following me around here. 

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'll forward them to you. The guy propositions me at least four times a week, aside from following me around here. 

Do you have the one where he’s in his birthday suit sliding down the fireman’s pole at his local fire station? I lost it when I switched phones

3 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Do you have the one where he’s in his birthday suit sliding down the fireman’s pole at his local fire station? I lost it when I switched phones

Yeah, it's the one captioned "first pole of the night".

• Bullseye 1

11 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

Dont flatter yourselves, boys. Im only here to get away from my wife. And my nudes were meant for Ozzy

I like the one in the schoolgirl outfit!

• LMFAO 1
  • JIMMY! 2

21 hours ago, Pete said:

There's no "Laf window".

such a pessimist 

he's literally going to be the GOAT

Edited by BlairBettsBlocksEverything

6 hours ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

could we afford a Chris Tanev on a short term deal if we need a defenseman? probably gonna get a decent number but wont have to commit too many years to a 34 year old

Could, yes.

1 hour ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

I take it your answer to should is different?

I don’t think we should spend big on a dman either but if we’re discussing available Dmen he’s worth talking 

Nope. I like him a lot, I just can't answer any question on higher-priced players until we have a clearer idea of what's happening to the top end of the roster. Namely Trouba.

If nothing meaningful is changing, I'd be shopping for relatively cheap bottom-six mean. Trenin, Noesen, Duhaime — these types.