• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Drag 'Em Into the Fight: Tanner Jeannot

Here are the bullet points:

$2.665M AAV, with one year remaning.

Bolts are reportedly looking to clear cap, likely in order to re-sign Stamkos.

Player scored 20+ goals in a riding shotgun to stars role with Nashville, albeit a few years ago

The primary reason for would be to experiment with him at 1RW next to Kreider and Zib as a "drag them into the fight" presence, similar to what Tom Wilson is/was for the Caps, or how Ryan Hartman played top line minutes for the Wild. First man in, always. Physically engaged, always. Goes to the net, always.

I originally figured this might be a swap for Kakko, one-for-one, because the money would basically wash. Kakko is expected to sign a one-year deal for his QO ($2.4 million) and Jeannot makes just a fraction more than that, but if Tampa needs to clear room, you can probably do this deal for a pick and a lower-end prospect (like Robertson).

If the experiment fails, Jeannot is still a really good, really big, really mean third- or fourth-line presence who you can play in numerous roles because he plays both RW and LW. Opposite Will Cuylle on a shutdown third line? Yup. Hulking presence on a punishing fourth line with Rempe (who wants to play center) and Edstrom? Works for me.

All I see are benefits.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Phil said:

Player scored 20+ goals in a riding shotgun to stars role with Nashville, albeit a few years ago

The primary reason for would be to experiment with him at 1RW next to Kreider and Zib as a "drag them into the fight" presence, similar to what Tom Wilson is/was for the Caps, or how Ryan Hartman played top line minutes for the Wild. First man in, always. Physically engaged, always. Goes to the net, always.

I originally figured this might be a swap for Kakko, one-for-one, because the money would basically wash. Kakko is expected to sign a one-year deal for his QO ($2.4 million) and Jeannot makes just a fraction more than that, but if Tampa needs to clear room, you can probably do this deal for a pick and a lower-end prospect (like Robertson).

If the experiment fails, Jeannot is still a really good, really big, really mean third- or fourth-line presence who you can play in numerous roles because he plays both RW and LW. Opposite Will Cuylle on a shutdown third line? Yup. Hulking presence on a punishing fourth line with Rempe (who wants to play center) and Edstrom? Works for me.

All I see are benefits.

Sold!!

I always liked him too!  I wouldn't even think a guy like this would be available as cheap as you said, Boss. 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

All I see are benefits.

Ryan Hartman could probably be had as well. 

Jeannot scares me a little, tbh. The idea feels right, but the drop off in production is alarming. He wasn't exactly playing with superstars in Nashville either - his most common linemates were Yakov Trenin and Colton Sissons.

Dude might just be what he is. I get that he's nasty, good forechecker, hits, fights, plays that get you through game, but I don't think he's the RW solution. I think he's the guy you might look to replace Goodrow or Vesey.

• 3 weeks later...