• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sharks Claim Barclay Goodrow on Waivers

3. Barclay Goodrow
Center, New York Rangers
Contract: 3 years remaining, $3.64 million AAV
Buyout Structure: Cap credit, then 5 seasons varying from $1 mil to $3.5 mil
Scoop: The Rangers think highly of Goodrow, who also scored some Empire State-sized goals for the Blueshirts in the playoffs. He netted more goals (6) in 16 postseason contests than he did (4) in 80 regular season games. Go figure. Nonetheless, $3.6 million is way too much to pay your fourth-line center, and there doesn’t appear to be much upward mobility in the lineup for Goodrow. He does his job, and he does it well, but his contract throws New York’s cap balance out of whack. Couple that with the fact that the Rangers could buy him out this month and not only not have a penalty, but a unique salary cap credit of $247,222 next season to effectively increase their cap to $88.247 million? That feels like a no-brainer. By 2026-27, that one painful year of the buyout, the salary cap should be north of $97 million.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/kings-pierre-luc-dubois-among-nine-buyout-candidates-in-2024-nhl-offseason

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

I wonder if they buy him out and try and sign him for less. 

They can't. I'd love to, but the NHL expressly forbids it. Players bought out by their team cannot re-sign or reacquire that same player for I believe a calendar year.

• Keeps it 100 2

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

They can't. I'd love to, but the NHL expressly forbids it. Players bought out by their team cannot re-sign or reacquire that same player for I believe a calendar year.

I don't support it, but it seems possible.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Yes you can. Calgary did it with Michael Stone. It's compliance buyouts where that rule applies. 

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Yes you can. Calgary did it with Michael Stone. It's compliance buyouts where that rule applies. 

I checked this, and they totally did. I'm not sure how this isn't cap circumvention but....hey it's possible!

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

I checked this, and they totally did. I'm not sure how this isn't cap circumvention but....hey it's possible!

There's probably no rule against it because they never thought both a team and a player would eat crow in such a fashion, so they didn't think to put a rule against it. 

But when you're the seventh defenseman on the worst team in the league, you'll do anything to say in the show.

• Bullseye 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Always thought it was buyouts in general. I wonder why more teams don't do this. The NHL would HATE it, but this is really smart.

I'm all aboard.

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Always thought it was buyouts in general. I wonder why more teams don't do this. The NHL would HATE it, but this is really smart.

I'm all aboard.

I think the contract has to be structured right for it to be worth it (e.g., low to no signing bonus money like Goodrow's). That kind of structure seems to be a pretty rare occurrence for a UFA contract, and they essentially act as a form of buyout protection for players. The Panarin and Zibanejad contracts are almost entirely paid out as signing bonus money, which is what makes them buyout proof.

What would be really fun is buying out Panarin and having him re-sign at the vet minimum.. Using the proceeds you sign Guenzel and a Chandler Stephenson- and watch while the rest of the NHL drowns in their own tears. 

Drury- "Vegas, I see tour LTIR shenanigans, and raise you some legit Buyout fuckery"

I know its impossible, still a fun thought.. 

11 hours ago, Art20c said:

Do it. Buy out and then sign to a minImum. Goodrow will not loose anything financially. But rangers will gain cap money. 

It's a little weird for him, because if he were to do that, he'd be basically saying "pay me the same, but spread $3.3m of it over 3 more years"

He'd also lose his 15 team NTC. 

• Keeps it 100 1

11 minutes ago, Flynn said:

What would be really fun is buying out Panarin and having him re-sign at the vet minimum.. Using the proceeds you sign Guenzel and a Chandler Stephenson- and watch while the rest of the NHL drowns in their own tears. 

Drury- "Vegas, I see tour LTIR shenanigans, and raise you some legit Buyout fuckery"

I know its impossible, still a fun thought.. 

A Panarin buyout hits us for just under 11m against the cap for two seasons, then hits for 333k for two more years. If we re-signed him at 925 or whatever the minimum is, that actually increases his cap hit by 500k or so

Goodrow's an attractive buyout for us because he actually INCREASES our cap ceiling for a year - his buyout is a credit for next season (which effectively makes our cap max 88.25m, not 88m), just under 1.1m the season after, spikes to 3.5 the year after, and then runs 1.1m for 3 more years.  If you re-signed him at 1m, you basically save 3m in cap next year, 1m the year after, overpay 1m the year after, and then eat the 1m/y under like a 102, 106, and 110m cap in the following years.

This is a brilliant bit of cap fuckery if Goodrow's up for it, but he needs an incentive to do it. I'm not sure the league minimum is enough. I think - THINK - a Goodrow buyout would pay him 7.9m over 6 years - so if we're telling him that he'd have made $10m over the next 3 years, and now we're telling him he'll make 11m over the next 6....if I'm Goodrow, I'm betting I can get a team to give me 3m a year again (or more, since Chicago is apparently handing out 4m contracts to any intangibles guy with a hockey stick these days) and I walk if they buy me out.

• Applause 1

"$3.6 million is way too much to pay your fourth-line center, and there doesn’t appear to be much upward mobility in the lineup for Goodrow"

But why...we have 3 third liners who are that much more of a lock?

He sure looks a hell of a lot better than kakko right now...

He sure looks like a necessary option to backup Chytil if necessary...

Not even sure there's been a better proven option for 1RW to this point, as sad as that is... 

Edited by Jdog99

If I was the Rangers I would buy him out and re-sign him.  Seems like a no brainer.

As far as 3C insurance in case Chytil gets hurt again I would look to move Trouba for a top 6 RW who also can play center who makes around 5M a season since Chytil probably is untradeable for anything of value at the moment.

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

If I was the Rangers I would buy him out and re-sign him.  Seems like a no brainer.

As far as 3C insurance in case Chytil gets hurt again I would look to move Trouba for a top 6 RW who also can play center who makes around 5M a season since Chytil probably is untradeable for anything of value at the moment.

I'd just point up to my last post. Why does Goodrow do that?

He has absolutely no say in the buyout, but he has a ton of say in the re-signing part. If you want him back, you'll have to either hope he prices himself out of the FA market or pay him enough to incentivize the re-sign, because I'd bet he could get more than double what we would want to offer him on the open market. And when you're 31, you're staring down the possibility that you're signing your last contract, etc - those millions matter. 

At the end of the day, the Rangers would want to spread 2m less than he's owed over three more years, then re-sign him for 1m/year (so he "nets" 1m on the deal). You're telling me there's not a team out there who would give him 3 years, 7.5m? That's 4.5m more than he'd get from the Rangers over the next three years in this world. He's taking that. Every day.

• Applause 1

36 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I'd just point up to my last post. Why does Goodrow do that?

He has absolutely no say in the buyout, but he has a ton of say in the re-signing part. If you want him back, you'll have to either hope he prices himself out of the FA market or pay him enough to incentivize the re-sign, because I'd bet he could get more than double what we would want to offer him on the open market. And when you're 31, you're staring down the possibility that you're signing your last contract, etc - those millions matter. 

At the end of the day, the Rangers would want to spread 2m less than he's owed over three more years, then re-sign him for 1m/year (so he "nets" 1m on the deal). You're telling me there's not a team out there who would give him 3 years, 7.5m? That's 4.5m more than he'd get from the Rangers over the next three years in this world. He's taking that. Every day.

It all depends on if he really wants to stay with the Rangers or not.  I would assume Drury would have a conversation with him about it before doing it.

• Like 1

https://nypost.com/2024/06/15/sports/time-is-now-for-rangers-to-move-on-from-playoff-hero-barclay-goodrow/

I am super torn on this. During the season, I believed it to be a foregone conclusion. That said, after his playoff performance, I have to imagine there is a team out there who would take his salary. But given our lack of players who fit that mold, do we hold onto him for another run?

I’m not sure we will get a better playoff performance from Goodrow than we did this year. Not just the goals, but every facet. Is it time to look to move him out, free up some room and get some help in other areas?

I can’t believe how torn I am on this given how for it I was just about all year. Hated hating on him. Was happy he was on a tear in the playoffs. Head says if you can dump the salary, do it. Heart says….fuck, we need more guys like him.

I do think this is more likely to happen than not, FWIW. 

• Bullseye 1

5 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

https://nypost.com/2024/06/15/sports/time-is-now-for-rangers-to-move-on-from-playoff-hero-barclay-goodrow/

I am super torn on this. During the season, I believed it to be a foregone conclusion. That said, after his playoff performance, I have to imagine there is a team out there who would take his salary. But given our lack of players who fit that mold, do we hold onto him for another run?

I’m not sure we will get a better playoff performance from Goodrow than we did this year. Not just the goals, but every facet. Is it time to look to move him out, free up some room and get some help in other areas?

I can’t believe how torn I am on this given how for it I was just about all year. Hated hating on him. Was happy he was on a tear in the playoffs. Head says if you can dump the salary, do it. Heart says….fuck, we need more guys like him.

I do think this is more likely to happen than not, FWIW. 

Trade yes buyout no

Goodrow has to be a decent piece as a throw-in on whatever else the Rangers are doing this off-season.  We're likely trading with contenders because of the age of the pieces we're trying to move and Goodrow looks good on any 4th line a contender might want to ice.