• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sharks Claim Barclay Goodrow on Waivers

On 6/16/2024 at 8:04 AM, BrooksBurner said:

Trade yes buyout no

His buyout would give the Rangers a cap credit this coming year. It's a real possibility.

• Keeps it 100 1

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

His buyout would give the Rangers a cap credit this coming year. It's a real possibility.

Unfortunately you are right, it's a real possibility. No disagreement there.

The issue with a buyout is it would almost certainly be done for the wrong reasons.

32 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Unfortunately you are right, it's a real possibility. No disagreement there.

The issue with a buyout is it would almost certainly be done for the wrong reasons.

I don't think many buyouts are done for "right" reasons. Barring a select few odd situations, buyouts are an admission that the player-value fit on the team is so lopsided that it's better to eat a cap hit and send the player off. It's admitting a mistake.

Goodrow's a rare situation where a buyout only really "hurts" in one specific season, and it actually raises our cap ceiling to buy him out right now. That's a rarity and may in fact be one of those "select few" situations. 

31 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I don't think many buyouts are done for "right" reasons. Barring a select few odd situations, buyouts are an admission that the player-value fit on the team is so lopsided that it's better to eat a cap hit and send the player off. It's admitting a mistake.

Goodrow's a rare situation where a buyout only really "hurts" in one specific season, and it actually raises our cap ceiling to buy him out right now. That's a rarity and may in fact be one of those "select few" situations. 

Well yeah it's never a good thing to admit the contract has less value than dead cap money.

We're just going to disagree about the value of doing it because we disagree about the state of the team. The concept is they save maybe $2.8 million this year (if replacing Goodrow with an ELC) to have a bit more room to sign a Tyler Toffolli to a multi-year contract? I just don't consider them that kind of move away from winning a Cup, so it's a tough sell. It doesn't really change the outlook of the team or how they approach the game. I'm more inclined if that extra cap space is required for a "now or never" opportunity to trade for a young/mid-20s player who happens to be available.

They are also probably going to want every dollar they have for 2026 free agency. It's currently slated to be loaded, including McDavid. That would be the year Goodrow's big dead cap hit is active.

I still think they can just flat out trade him. If they can't trade him for free, and no retention, I think it was @Phil's idea I liked the most. Maybe take an ick contract back like Petry from Detroit for the purposes of a much more manageable buyout.

• Keeps it 100 2

10 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Well yeah it's never a good thing to admit the contract has less value than dead cap money.

We're just going to disagree about the value of doing it because we disagree about the state of the team. The concept is they save maybe $2.8 million this year (if replacing Goodrow with an ELC) to have a bit more room to sign a Tyler Toffolli to a multi-year contract? I just don't consider them that kind of move away from winning a Cup, so it's a tough sell. It doesn't really change the outlook of the team or how they approach the game. I'm more inclined if that extra cap space is required for a "now or never" opportunity to trade for a young/mid-20s player who happens to be available.

They are also probably going to want every dollar they have for 2026 free agency. It's currently slated to be loaded, including McDavid. That would be the year Goodrow's big dead cap hit is active.

I still think they can just flat out trade him. If they can't trade him for free, and no retention, I think it was @Phil's idea I liked the most. Maybe take an ick contract back like Petry from Detroit for the purposes of a much more manageable buyout.

Eh. I don't think we're that far off here, aside from that I do think they're one or two moves from a Cup. The Panthers and Hurricanes are both going to lose critical players. The Lightning and Bruins are on the decline. Ask me again after free agency and the draft, but we're still very much in a window and both the division and likely the conference stands to be weaker than it was last year. Except us, of course. 

If we buy out Goodrow to bring in Toffoli? That's dumb shit. We buy out Goodrow because it gives us space to bring in someone who fixes a problem. There are a lot of LDs out there that we could probably afford without Goodrow, a few RDs that, if we move on from Trouba too, would make sense, and a few RWs that add something at ES. Those guys? Fine.

I'd also say if we can just deal him, even better. I don't think the 250k additional ceiling this year matters too much, tbh. I'm not necessarily in favor of it, but I am well aware that if we're going to do it this is the best time to do so. 

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I wonder if the Rangers could sell the favorable buyout credit to a team that is in bad shape against the cap and has some cap they have to get rid of also. Maybe Tampa. Goodrow for Jeannot and Sheary?

This SCREAMS Vegas. Goodrow+prospects to Vegas for some combination of players at around 5m, then Vegas gets an instant +4m from the buyout? Suddenly they can keep one of Chandler Stephenson or Marchessault?

1 minute ago, LindG1000 said:

This SCREAMS Vegas. Goodrow+prospects to Vegas for some combination of players at around 5m, then Vegas gets an instant +4m from the buyout? Suddenly they can keep one of Chandler Stephenson or Marchessault?

Yeah I took a glance at them. They don't really have negative value contracts to dump though, so if they want cap space they can just trade whoever they deem expendable for picks/prospects.

41 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I wonder if the Rangers could sell the favorable buyout credit to a team that is in bad shape against the cap and has some cap they have to get rid of also. Maybe Tampa. Goodrow for Jeannot and Sheary?

@BrooksBurner for GM!

Drury is too dumb to think of this on his own

• JIMMY! 1

20 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah I took a glance at them. They don't really have negative value contracts to dump though, so if they want cap space they can just trade whoever they deem expendable for picks/prospects.

There's a few teams that are decent fits. Vegas, Tampa, Oilers, Penguins, Avs - all teams with significant RFA/UFA, decently tight on cap, could use the space.

We're in that mix too, but the difference for us is that we're at 19 contracts already (incl Rempe and Edstrom) and will spend the balance of our cap on the remaining 4 players - Lindgren, Schneider, 6D, 7D (might be ELC or league min guy like Harpur, Scanlin, Mackey)

Either way, we have some good leverage to make a move here if we think there's an opportunity for an upgrade out there. Especially with Goodrow's buyout being a credit for 2024

4 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Basic idea; if another team wants to pay the contract, he's gone and no cap issue. But more likely, back to square 1. 

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Rangers Place Barclay Goodrow on Waivers
7 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Happy trails, Barclay. At least he went out with a bang.

Yea, his lackluster season is accepted because of his play in the post season but all in all, we saw what's coming with keeping him around. 

However, we lose an edge that we are sorely missing as is.....what's the next move?!

Just now, jsm7302 said:

Yea, his lackluster season is accepted because of his play in the post season but all in all, we saw what's coming with keeping him around. 

However, we lose an edge that we are sorely missing as is.....what's the next move?!

No idea. Whomever they add, hopefully the edge is back next year. They can't lose that.