• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sharks Claim Barclay Goodrow on Waivers

So now that Drury has shipped out a player who was among his first if not his first acquisition and signings, a player with size and grit and 2 rings...thereby showing accountability and admitting a mistake, then using his relationships for a creative solution...

Maybe now we can stop saying things like "if he were smart" and "if he had balls", because it's pretty clear to me that it takes balls to send a player who was among your first big deals and jettison him from a ECF team to one of the worst in the NHL and it takes smarts to find a creative solution that doesn't cost the team much and shows some respect to the player by sending him to a familiar place. 

Nice piece of business by Drury. 

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

So now that Drury has shipped out a player who was among his first if not his first acquisition and signings, a player with size and grit and 2 rings...thereby showing accountability and admitting a mistake, then using his relationships for a creative solution...

Maybe now we can stop saying things like "if he were smart" and "if he had balls", because it's pretty clear to me that it takes balls to send a player who was among your first big deals and jettison him from a ECF team to one of the worst in the NHL and it takes smarts to find a creative solution that doesn't cost the team much and shows some respect to the player by sending him to a familiar place. 

Simmer down

• LMFAO 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

As I was saying...

After speaking to multiple sources on Wednesday, there is widespread belief that Barclay Goodrow had included the Sharks on his 15-team, no-trade list that GM Chris Drury got around by placing No. 21 on waivers, where San Jose exercised the first claim to take the two-time Cup-winner.

This was ruthless.

And this is what championship organizations do.

https://nypost.com/2024/06/19/sports/why-rangers-chris-drury-waiving-barclay-goodrow-was-cold-blooded/?sr_share=twitter&utm_campaign=nypost_sports&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

So yea..."If he had any balls..." 

Edited by Pete

8 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

One of your favorites might be next

I have a lot of favorites. It's called "actually supporting the players on the team". You should try it and see if it makes you happier. 

Edited by Pete

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I have a lot of favorites. It's called "actually supporting the players on the team". You should try it and see if it makes you happier. 

We probably like the same number of players on the team. The difference is I support the team as a whole first, and you support the individual players you like the most first.

A very clever move by Drury, but ultimately you have 30 million sunk into Panarin/Zibanejad/Trouba so you're just rearranging the deck chairs on the Playoff Titanic.

• Bullseye 2
  • Keeps it 100 2

23 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

We probably like the same number of players on the team. The difference is I support the team as a whole first, and you support the individual players you like the most first.

I like to support players who get ragged relentlessly for bullshit reasons (Like Strome), so since you drag the same set of guys forever and always, probably looks to you like they're my "favorites", although I might have an outside positive opinion on those players because I spend a lot of time looking into the good parts of their game for when you're constantly shitting on them as a player in general. 

Like Mika, all things being equal, I could give or take, But I'm also smart enough to know you don't just replace a guy like that. It'll cost more in free agency and there's nobody in the system.

Then he gets a no move clause so you either get behind them or you spend the next 6 years whining about it.

But I think a lot of criticism he gets his unfair and so I stick up for him because he's getting an outsized level of abuse just because some Rangers fans expect wart free players on a wart free team. No down years allowed! No slumps! He's too emo! However I also don't like the way he completely manages his emotions and gives measured answers when the media is grilling him!

The difference is I know I have no control over the moves the team makes and of I want to continue to enjoy the team then I need to find some things to be happy about (Presidents Trophy and a trip to the ECF are good things, just not the best thing, But it doesn't make them bad things).

I don't think you support the team at all. I think you root for certain outcomes that you think will make the team more successful and there is no room for any other outcomes that may make the team successful... But when the team doesn't do what you want them to do, you just shit on it because you are personal list didn't get checked off, so now everything is bad and everything sucks. 

I mean a couple of posts ago you called them a loser organization and then demanded that they win you Stanley Cup for you before you die... Safe to say if the team were a person, your relationship with them is toxic at best, abusive at worst.

Edited by Pete
  • LMFAO 1

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

I like to support players who get ragged relentlessly for bullshit reasons (Like Strome), so since you drag the same set of guys forever and always, probably looks to you like they're my "favorites", although I might have an outside positive opinion on those players because I spend a lot of time looking into the good parts of their game for when you're constantly shitting on them as a player in general. 

Like Mika, all things being equal, I could give or take, But I'm also smart enough to know you don't just replace a guy like that. It'll cost more in free agency and there's nobody in the system.

Then he gets a no move clause so you either get behind them or you spend the next 6 years whining about it.

But I think a lot of criticism he gets his unfair and so I stick up for him because he's getting an outsized level of abuse just because some Rangers fans expect wart free players on a wart free team. No down years allowed! No slumps! He's too emo! However I also don't like the way he completely manages his emotions and gives measured answers when the media is grilling him!

The difference is I know I have no control over the moves the team makes and of I want to continue to enjoy the team then I need to find some things to be happy about (Presidents Trophy and a trip to the ECF are good things, just not the best thing, But it doesn't make them bad things).

I don't think you support the team at all. I think you root for certain outcomes that you think will make the team more successful and there is no room for any other outcomes that may make the team successful... But when the team doesn't do what you want them to do, you just shit on it because you are personal list didn't get checked off, so now everything is bad and everything sucks. 

I mean a couple of posts ago you called them a loser organization and then demanded that they win you Stanley Cup for you before you die... Safe to say if the team were a person, your relationship with them is toxic at best, abusive at worst.

I thought we were just busting balls lol

Stay Mad GIF

16 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I thought we were just busting balls lol

Stay Mad GIF

What's there to be mad at? Your schtick is obvious.

And get your own gifs. 

Loved Goodrow. Came in did his job and added experience to a locker room that truly had none. Contract was always a little high, no one is denying that. And as good as he was in the playoffs, this is the exact thing we expected to hopefully see at the end of the year but we weren’t sure we would see. Appreciated his effort. Clear he was getting older and could be replaced by a lesser cap hit while his assets can go and help other areas in need of some fixing.

Wish him well with the Sharks. I am stunned Drury did this in the fashion he did. Truly showing he means business, because Goodrow was a leader in that locker room and he essentially told him to hit the bricks.

We’ll see what else he has in store.

Edited by RichieNextel305

Is it confirmed that Sharks were on his NTC list? 

That is cold blooded of Drury but well within his rights obviously. Overpaid and underperformed last regular season. Prolly thought he made himself useful enough in the post season to stick around. It's a move in the right direction. Take that A and put it right on Mr. Lafreniere's jersey.

9 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Loved Goodrow. Came in did his job and added experience to a locker room that truly had none. Contract was always a little high, no one is denying that. And as good as he was in the playoffs, this is the exact thing we expected to hopefully see at the end of the year but we weren’t sure we would see. Appreciated his effort. Clear he was getting older and could be replaced by a lesser cap hit while his assets can go and help other areas in need of some fixing.

Wish him well with the Sharks. I am stunned Drury did this in the fashion he did. Truly showing he means business, because Goodrow was a leader in that locker room and he essentially told him to hit the bricks.

We’ll see what else he has in store.

His leadership will be missed, but I feel like it was a move that had to be made. Pretty ballsy on Drury's part. I still can't believe they were able to dump that contract for free basically. No buyout with money taking up cap space for years. He was just able to liquify the whole thing.

8 hours ago, Jdog99 said:

why do the sharks want a guy who doesn't want to be there?

So, they can at least get to the salary cap floor. lol He is the kind of guy you want on a contender, but I still think he'll be good there for a rebuilding locker room.

• Keeps it 100 1

Barclay really never lived up to what he was billed as-  he's a good guy, a great role player and possibly a piece to a good organization-- but to be truthful-- it's time for him to move on.  He also really did not "bring the experience" and certainly that experience did not really lead to a big improvement in the teams overall ability to get over the hump.

His faceoff and penalty killing skills will be missed but overall, this was a pretty huge flop of a signing.

The signing of the player was fine, the contract was not. I think overall he was fine here. If you want to say disappointing, I wouldn't completely disagree. He was not that good this year, save for the excellent postseason performance. Still time to move on, though. Maybe they just go internal with his replacement to save some money.

46 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

His leadership will be missed, but I feel like it was a move that had to be made. Pretty ballsy on Drury's part. I still can't believe they were able to dump that contract for free basically. No buyout with money taking up cap space for years. He was just able to liquify the whole thing.

So, they can at least get to the salary cap floor. lol He is the kind of guy you want on a contender, but I still think he'll be good there for a rebuilding locker room.

I think we need to stop with the whole "Grier did his buddy a favor" narrative(even though he probably did), as if San Jose didn't get any value here(they did). 

1. San Jose is going through an entire tear down and will be drafting #1 overall and probably be getting a franchise defining player.
  2. They are almost 10 million below the cap floor; paying an extra 2.5 million for a premier penalty killer, 3rd/4th line Center, and well respected leader in the locker room is not going to hurt them(it actually helps).
  3. The team will need someone to look out for some of their upcoming stars(Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, etc...) and lead by example.
  4. Rangers and San Jose will likely not be facing each other in the Stanley Cup finals while the Rangers are still in their Cup window. 

Did it need to be Goodrow specifically? Probably not; but to me this is a rare win-win type transaction in the NHL. 

• Applause 1