• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sharks Claim Barclay Goodrow on Waivers

2 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

I think we need to stop with the whole "Grier did his buddy a favor" narrative(even though he probably did), as if San Jose didn't get any value here(they did). 

1. San Jose is going through an entire tear down and will be drafting #1 overall and probably be getting a franchise defining player.
  2. They are almost 10 million below the cap floor; paying an extra 2.5 million for a premier penalty killer, 3rd/4th line Center, and well respected leader in the locker room is not going to hurt them(it actually helps).
  3. The team will need someone to look out for some of their upcoming stars(Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, etc...) and lead by example.
  4. Rangers and San Jose will likely not be facing each other in the Stanley Cup finals while the Rangers are still in their Cup window. 

Did it need to be Goodrow specifically? Probably not; but to me this is a rare win-win type transaction in the NHL. 

So, you agree with everything I said. 😏

But, yeah, I think it's just a good hockey transaction. The Rangers unload a contract for basically nothing and San Jose gets someone who is familiar with the organization and city and can be a good support player. I do think Grier did him a solid, though. I really thought they would have had to throw in a pick or something to move that contract, or buy it out and have dead cap space for years.

I don’t get why you’re all so happy about this. The guy showed again this off-season what a beast he is. Might be a bit overpaid but his 3.5m wasn’t part of the problem here.

A player it’s impossible not to like when he’s on your team’s roster. Thanks for everything Goody, you did your part here to perfection.

4 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I don’t get why you’re all so happy about this. The guy showed again this off-season what a beast he is. Might be a bit overpaid but his 3.5m wasn’t part of the problem here.

A player it’s impossible not to like when he’s on your team’s roster. Thanks for everything Goody, you did your part here to perfection.

Because his cap hit was outsized to his impact. As great as his playoffs was, he was working with a 40% shooting percentage, and all his underlying numbers were in the toilet. It's a bad contract for a likeable player.

2 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

it actually really was though. You add roughy 2.8mil to available cap space by replacing him with someone properly paid for the role he played. 

i don’t think anyone is happy to lose the guy as much as the contract. 

Just now, siddious said:

it actually really was though. You add roughy 2.8mil to available cap space by replacing him with someone properly paid for the role he played. 

This. Would absolutely love the guy on a 1.5m deal. Still love the guy - good dude, hard worker, great leader, wore an A for a reason, awesome at PK - every team wants a Goodrow. Just can't pay him like he's putting in 40 points when he's putting in 12.

• Bullseye 2

1 minute ago, LindG1000 said:

This. Would absolutely love the guy on a 1.5m deal. Still love the guy - good dude, hard worker, great leader, wore an A for a reason, awesome at PK - every team wants a Goodrow. Just can't pay him like he's putting in 40 points when he's putting in 12.

And to add to all this 2.8 in added cap space doesn’t seem like much but every penny counts. That’s probably millers extension money right there. 

It’s also appreciated how drury did this. For the better of the team. Feelings get hurt oh well.

Just now, siddious said:

We need to stop acting like finding a Goodrow-level 4th liner on a minimum contract is so easy. We’ll get a Brodzinski, lechysckytn or Riley Nash for 900k.

Hopefully some of the younger guys in the A is ready because finding a good 4th liner on the FA market is easier said than done.

• Applause 1

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Because his cap hit was outsized to his impact. As great as his playoffs was, he was working with a 40% shooting percentage, and all his underlying numbers were in the toilet. It's a bad contract for a likeable player.

That’s true, but it’s kinda always been that way, no? The contract was bad from day 1.

Like I get it and I knew it would happen, just sucks to see him being the first guy out after these playoffs.

7 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

That’s true, but it’s kinda always been that way, no? The contract was bad from day 1.

Like I get it and I knew it would happen, just sucks to see him being the first guy out after these playoffs.

I hear you, and agree they'll be looking for a guy like this immediately. I also wouldn't call the contract bad from day one. They paid 3.6 for a 30-point player. 

But his role diminished and it was highly unlikely he was ever going to hit 30 points again. 

They have a limited number of players with contract flexibility. They have to do what they have to do.

17 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

We need to stop acting like finding a Goodrow-level 4th liner on a minimum contract is so easy. We’ll get a Brodzinski, lechysckytn or Riley Nash for 900k.

Hopefully some of the younger guys in the A is ready because finding a good 4th liner on the FA market is easier said than done.

Im Not saying those guys are the answer but goodrows start somewhere. You can find one. 

It's going to be Rempe or Edstrom. Brodz is not an every day NHL player, or even an NHL player, really. lol You could say the same about Rempe now, perhaps, but with work, I think he can be. The same with Edstrom. We know Brodzinski's ceiling already.

24 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

No disagreement. I'm not jumping for joy that he's gone, but I do think it was necessary, and I'm very excited by how they were able to do it (clean break).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

It's going to be Rempe or Edstrom. Brodz is not an every day NHL player, or even an NHL player, really. lol You could say the same about Rempe now, perhaps, but with work, I think he can be. The same with Edstrom. We know Brodzinski's ceiling already.

Did the Wolfpack have Rempe or Edstrom playing center?  

I tried to look it up but for some reason I couldn't find much AHL stats.

35 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Yes, but spend a little bit more and you get a Sam Steel, Colin Blackwell, or Tyler Motte for 1.2-1.4 million, and you actually upgrade the production while banking 2.4 million instead of 2.7 million.

It's simply not a binary choice between Brodzinski & Goodrow.

7 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Did the Wolfpack have Rempe or Edstrom playing center?  

I tried to look it up but for some reason I couldn't find much AHL stats.

I couldn't find it either. lol I want to say Rempe did, though?

Just now, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Yes, but spend a little bit more and you get a Sam Steel, Colin Blackwell, or Tyler Motte for 1.2-1.4 million, and you actually upgrade the production while banking 2.4 million instead of 2.7 million.

It's simply not a binary choice between Brodzinski & Goodrow.

lol Imagine if they bring back Motte again.

• LMFAO 1