• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sharks Claim Barclay Goodrow on Waivers

Is Motte actually a center? I mean, I'm not opposed, but if they're going for a free agent, I want Kevin Stenlund, Ryan Lomberg, Yakov Trenin, or something like this. Give me size + mean.

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Is Motte actually a center? I mean, I'm not opposed, but if they're going for a free agent, I want Kevin Stenlund, Ryan Lomberg, Yakov Trenin, or something like this. Give me size + mean.

No clue if he can play center(think that he did at Michigan), but that is not the point that I was making. Just wanted to point out that there was alot available on the open market as replacement value for considerably less. 

32 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

No clue if he can play center(think that he did at Michigan), but that is not the point that I was making. Just wanted to point out that there was alot available on the open market as replacement value for considerably less. 

If he can't play center, he doesn't matter. I think you're wasting time signing a player like this. Either get the size and strength you need or promote internally. I'd rather spend $850K (or whatever guys like Edstrom, etc make) than pay double that for market rate fourth-line production from older free agents who don't excel at anything.

23 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Cuylle-Edstrom-Rempe

You don't need to spend money on 4th line players. The right guys are already here.

I agree. I'd still add maybe one more for depth. Like what Stenlund is/was for the Panthers this year. Whoever's willing to sign for basically league minimum to give the Rangers flexibility/options because I'm not sure Edstrom and Rempe are 82-game players. They would be for me, but you're one injury away from not much backup here. I guess Jimmy Vesey?

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

I agree. I'd still add maybe one more for depth. Like what Stenlund is/was for the Panthers this year. Whoever's willing to sign for basically league minimum to give the Rangers flexibility/options because I'm not sure Edstrom and Rempe are 82-game players. They would be for me, but you're one injury away from not much backup here. I guess Jimmy Vesey?

You've got Vesey and Johnny Kielbasa for that. Rather them spend 1.4 on some of those guys who can give you 25 points and good third line minutes than league min on guys who give you 10 and concrete fourth line minutes.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Lomberg is fucking tiny but tenacious, I love his game and would love to have him in this lineup.  I really thought that’s what we had in Bobby Trivigno, but I don’t know if he is ever going to make the jump.

10 minutes ago, deejaid said:

Lomberg is fucking tiny but tenacious, I love his game and would love to have him in this lineup.  I really thought that’s what we had in Bobby Trivigno, but I don’t know if he is ever going to make the jump.

Lomberg reminds me of Hollweg, but not shit. Everything he does is for keeps and he hits to hurt (despite being undersized).

8 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

You've got Vesey and Johnny Kielbasa for that. Rather them spend 1.4 on some of those guys who can give you 25 points and good third line minutes than league min on guys who give you 10 and concrete fourth line minutes.

Agreed and exactly why I mentioned that it is not a binary choice.

Signing a veteran for 1.1-1.4 million with a track record of 20-30 points is really harmless from a cap management perspective. If they succeed in that role, they are paid in line with production; if they don't, just put them on waivers and/or bury them in minors and live with the ~-300K cap hit. 

The best scenario is to do that and let the Edstrom, Rempe, Berard, Sykora, etc's..... in the organization battle it out in training camp with them. If those prospects can't push 1-2 of those theoretical veteran signings described above out of the way, then they don't deserve an NHL roster spot.

15 minutes ago, Phil said:

Anybody for league min as an option is fine. There might even be a PTO extended to a couple of guys. That's how Vesey made the team 2 years ago. Speaking of Vesey, I would be trading him. It's not that I don't see value in him, but he's just a bit vanilla. I'd go for a different look. Combine that with the fact he's been a 25 point guy at 800k, I think they could get a decent draft pick for him from a cap strapped team that badly needs an upgrade at the bottom of their lineup. The Rangers will need picks to fortify the roster at the deadline, and trading a 31 year old 4th liner who has value but doesn't do anything at an extraordinary level would be a good move IMO.

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Anybody for league min as an option is fine. There might even be a PTO extended to a couple of guys. That's how Vesey made the team 2 years ago. Speaking of Vesey, I would be trading him. It's not that I don't see value in him, but he's just a bit vanilla. I'd go for a different look. Combine that with the fact he's been a 25 point guy at 800k, I think they could get a decent draft pick for him from a cap strapped team that badly needs an upgrade at the bottom of their lineup. The Rangers will need picks to fortify the roster at the deadline, and trading a 31 year old 4th liner who has value but doesn't do anything at an extraordinary level would be a good move IMO.

I mean, sure. I'm not married to him, or Brodzinski. They earned their extensions, but they also feel like they're easily the types of players who can get beaten out in camp.

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Really think that you are getting more than a 4th rounder for Vesey? If you don't believe the return is better than that, my opinion would be Jimmy Vesey > 4th round draft pick given that we just got rid of our best penalty killer.

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

Lomberg is a little shit. Wouldn’t hate having the pest. But no fit here.

Oh, there's a fit. The issue here is price. He's so valuable to Florida because he made $725K. At double/triple that—I don't know what he projects to make, but I'd imagine a lot of teams will make offers—and his attractiveness wanes.

13 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Really think that you are getting more than a 4th rounder for Vesey? If you don't believe the return is better than that, my opinion would be Jimmy Vesey > 4th round draft pick given that we just got rid of our best penalty killer.

I would trade Vesey for a 4th, but I think he can get a 3rd. They have exactly 1 pick (a 3rd) between the 2nd and 4th rounds of the 2025 and 2026 drafts. They have next to no deadline ammo except for 1st round picks.

Vesey finished with less PK minutes than Nick Bonino, and Bonino left the team in January.

Edited by BrooksBurner

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Oh, there's a fit. The issue here is price. He's so valuable to Florida because he made $725K. At double/triple that—I don't know what he projects to make, but I'd imagine a lot of teams will make offers—and his attractiveness wanes.

He’s a LW, no? Where is he playing? 4th line? I imagine you walk into camp with Vesey and maybe Rempe on your 4th line wings. I think Rempe seems like a dedicated kid who will work hard this summer and get it right.

3 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

He’s a LW, no? Where is he playing? 4th line? I imagine you walk into camp with Vesey and maybe Rempe on your 4th line wings. I think Rempe seems like a dedicated kid who will work hard this summer and get it right.

Listed as LW/RW. And yes, I'd play him on the fourth line. Same as Florida does, somewhat in rotation. He's played 82 games just once in his career.

26 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I would trade Vesey for a 4th, but I think he can get a 3rd. They have exactly 1 pick (a 3rd) between the 2nd and 4th rounds of the 2025 and 2026 drafts. They have next to no deadline ammo except for 1st round picks.

Vesey finished with less PK minutes than Nick Bonino, and Bonino left the team in January.

Completely get and agree with what you are saying regarding draft picks for deadline ammo.

I'm doubtful that you could get a 3rd round pick for Vesey given that there will be guys out there looking PTOs when camps opens who can give you similar production vs. salary. Suspending disbelief on that for a moment, can you really argue that a 3rd round "scratch ticket" brings the same value vs. as a proven commodity in Vesey?

Has to be a better way to replenish 1-2 of these scratch tickets over the next 2 seasons.