• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sharks Claim Barclay Goodrow on Waivers

18 minutes ago, Br4d said:

You gotta be ruthless if you want to get and stay ahead.

Drury is not being ruthless enough yet.  We need one of the big contracts to go by whatever means necessary.

Who do you suggest and for what price?

5 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

That's Drury's job.

If he just runs it back we're going to be 100% dependent on Igor having a monster season and Quick hanging on for another year at the level he showed last season.

Edited by Br4d

1 hour ago, Rangers1994 said:

Kreider; we have a glut of LW talent. He is coming off a couple of great years. He never took the C when opportunity presented. Easiest transition especially if it brings back a legit C or RW. I don't necessarily want that to happen but if it came down to it, I think he is the play to make.

• Bullseye 1

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

That's Drury's job.

If he just runs it back we're going to be 100% dependent on Igor having a monster season and Quick hanging on for another year at the level he showed last season.

Simply not true. Igor didn't have a monster regular season and the Rangers were fine.

You can add around the margins to get better in the playoffs but the Rangers certainly don't need to rely on Igor to get to the post. 

4 hours ago, Br4d said:

You gotta be ruthless if you want to get and stay ahead.

Drury is not being ruthless enough yet.  We need one of the big contracts to go by whatever means necessary.

yeah im not mad at drury for the move and its not a GMs job to play nice with the players. Whatever means necessary to put together the best team together and sometimes you gotta be ruthless to clear space. Still, sucks for Goodrow. He's a playoff type player and he's not gonna be playing playoffs for quite a while 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pete said:

Simply not true. Igor didn't have a monster regular season and the Rangers were fine.

You can add around the margins to get better in the playoffs but the Rangers certainly don't need to rely on Igor to get to the post. 

Shesterkin had a mediocre Half 1, but had a spectacular half 2 after the All Star Break.

2 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

Shesterkin had a mediocre Half 1, but had a spectacular half 2 after the All Star Break.

And yet the Rangers remained in first place from wire to wire...

1 minute ago, Pete said:

So why were the Rangers in first place in Half 1?

Because the team as a whole played well enough to win.  Shesterkin began to steal many games for them in Half 2. Not that I'm taking anything away from him but he didn't regain his game until right before the All Star Break.

18 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

Because the team as a whole played well enough to win.  Shesterkin began to steal many games for them in Half 2. Not that I'm taking anything away from him but he didn't regain his game until right before the All Star Break.

So it's safe to say the Rangers would have made the playoffs without Igor making a come back.

At my point is they didn't need him to make the postseason. 

So what is your point?

1 minute ago, Pete said:

So it's safe to say the Rangers would have made the playoffs without Igor making a come back.

At my point is they didn't need him to make the postseason. 

So what is your point?

Yes. They do need him to make the postseason.  After that, they need him to help them win the Cup.

9 minutes ago, Rangers1994 said:

Yes. They do need him to make the postseason.  After that, they need him to help them win the Cup.

I don't agree that they need him to make the playoffs. At all.

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Some guy "Quick" had quite the season as well.  Especially while Igor was floundering.

Most are seeming to forget how pedestrian Shesterkin was most of the season; thanks for the reminder. He kept us afloat during the tournament; no doubt BUT he isn't the be all/ end all of this roster.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Most are seeming to forget how pedestrian Shesterkin was most of the season; thanks for the reminder. He kept us afloat during the tournament; no doubt BUT he isn't the be all/ end all of this roster.

My point exactly.  He began to raise his game right before the All Star Break.  Since then, he was spectacular.

9 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Some guy "Quick" had quite the season as well.  Especially while Igor was floundering.

Yeah… but can you honestly bank on a 38 year old JQ who is 4 years removed from being a full-time NHL starting goalie to do that as a starter again? 

26 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah… but can you honestly bank on a 38 year old JQ who is 4 years removed from being a full-time NHL starting goalie to do that as a starter again? 

Absolutely not, 7.  But my point is that Igor has had his moments, and $12 million is an awful lot of lettuce to toss in one salad, while the money can be spent much better on other facets of the team.

Sometimes players price themselves out....Igor has done just that.  Would I love to keep him?  Sure...100%

The question is how can we afford to keep him without de-balling this roster?  ....and contrary to some opinions, I really don't see him taking a "team friendly" $9 million a year.  Hell, even $9 million would be too much in my opinion.

Goodrow had to go, I get it....fine.  I liked him though.  He was gritty and a playoff type player we'll miss.  But he was getting old, and did not really do too much during the regular season.  Trouba's tag is way too much for a guy who's looking like he's now on the downside of his career, and playing very poorly.

Igor's next, but for a different reason, sadly!

Quick playing at a high end level doesn’t change the fact that the Rangers required it to be what they were. If he played at an average backup level, it probably flips 4-5 wins into losses.

The fact is the Rangers require top end goaltending from whoever their goaltender is. Igor was 9th in GSAA and Quick was 23rd. This is a cumulative stat and Quick was 23rd, ahead of guys like Saros, Hill, Oettinger, and Markstrom. That’s outrageous.

• Applause 1

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

There's not guarantee that goalies will remain on top, and that includes Sheshty.  He was not as good in 22-23 or the first half of 23-24 as he was in 21-22.  Sorokin was nominated for the Vezina over him in 22-23 and then ended up as the back up this past season.  Ullmark was the winner in 22-23 and was then a back up by the end of this season.  Bob has won the Vezina twice and had a series of bust years otherwise and was considered the ultimate contract albatross before he suddenly turned it around in the playoffs last year.  

The point: given the vissisitudes of goalkeeping, long term contracts for goalies whose stars are high at the moment might not be a good idea.  Price and Hank are the only ones who come to mind who were elite year in year out for long periods in recent times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Quick playing at a high end level doesn’t change the fact that the Rangers required it to be what they were. If he played at an average backup level, it probably flips 4-5 wins into losses.

The fact is the Rangers require top end goaltending from whoever their goaltender is. Igor was 9th in GSAA and Quick was 23rd. This is a cumulative stat and Quick was 23rd, ahead of guys like Saros, Hill, Oettinger, and Markstrom. That’s outrageous.

The Rangers don't need high end goaltending to be competitive. They were a top team all year getting mid goaltending from Igor. 

Let's not act like what happened in the postseason was what was happening in the regular season because it wasn't. 

But I appreciate the continued push of the narrative. But frankly, it's bullshit. 

Edited by Pete

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

The Rangers don't need high end goaltending to be competitive. They were a top team all year getting mid goaltending from Igor. 

Let's not act like what happened in the postseason was what was happening in the regular season because it wasn't. 

But I appreciate the continued push of the narrative. But frankly, it's bullshit. 

That’s not what I said. I said to be what they were, which was a President’s Trophy team and a final four contestant, even if they got a bit fortunate to be there.

What happened in the postseason was reflective of what they got out of Quick in the first half of the regular season, and Shesterkin in the 2nd half.

• Applause 1

54 minutes ago, Pete said:

They need to do 2 things:

Get better offensively 5v5

Play better defensive hockey on a more consistent basis.

Cause they play a style that is actually offense first, goalie second, defense 3rd, and BTW, we are also really good on special teams.

A top-6 forward.

A top-4 shutdown defender.

A middle-6 SAK

A slight shift in mentality.

Also… that was only year 1 of Lavy. 
There you are.