• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-sign Kaapo Kakko to 1-year/$2.4m Extension

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

This contract does not stop them from signing anybody. There's a summer bonus cushion for this reason. 

No, it doesn't stop them from signing anyone, but it limits who they can now sign. I'd much rather have that $2.4 million to allocate toward a 1RW we can hope brings more out of 20-93 rather than pay for a non-needle mover to eat minutes on a third line again all year.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, Keirik said:

Perfectly tradeable 

They could have perfectly traded him without signing him. The fact he's their first re-sign this summer, this quickly, after what Drury said says to me they're running it back with him, not trading him.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 2

29 minutes ago, Phil said:

No, it doesn't stop them from signing anyone, but it limits who they can now sign. I'd much rather have that $2.4 million to allocate toward a 1RW we can hope brings more out of 20-93 rather than pay for a non-needle mover to eat minutes on a third line again all year.

OK, well you can go be mad over this non-issue that doesn't stop them from doing anything if that's what makes you feel good. 

5 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Going into a one year deal, you have to assume the kid is gonna run through a wall to get better this summer. Bodes well.

He should run through his wallet to find a skating coach instead.

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

15 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Going into a one year deal, you have to assume the kid is gonna run through a wall to get better this summer. Bodes well.

He just came off the last year of a deal this season and he stunk

• Keeps it 100 1

58 minutes ago, Phil said:

They could have perfectly traded him without signing him. The fact he's their first re-sign this summer, this quickly, after what Drury said says to me they're running it back with him, not trading him.

Probably, but with his salary being reasonable for nearly any team even with cap issues,I still think it's a possibility. I guess it can be looked as any summer trade involving him goes down a lot smoother with his known contract rather than anything else.  

• Keeps it 100 1

Drury signed Howden to a 1 year deal 7/9/21 and he got traded 8 days later to Vegas.

It's possible interested teams could be happier if there's an agreement already in place for Kakko so the first thing they're doing with a newly acquired player is something other than haggling over salary.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 2
  • Believe 1

33 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Drury signed Howden to a 1 year deal 7/9/21 and he got traded 8 days later to Vegas.

It's possible interested teams could be happier if there's an agreement already in place for Kakko so the first thing they're doing with a newly acquired player is something other than haggling over salary.

Fair enough. We'll see.

41 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Kakko signed a QO. He could have gotten traded with or without signing in, because no new team was going to give him more. 

I'm not saying he won't get traded, I'm just saying one thing doesn't have anything to do with the other. 

6 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

Its all over the ticker tape on all sports networks, so it must be a good deal

Kakko is fascinating to the hockey world.

#2OA and he's basically done very little since he was picked.  The people covering his 1yr/$2.4M extension are basically the equivalent of people driving by a car accident.  Don't want to look, but you know it's hard to do that with all the smoke wafting over from the breakdown lane.

My first reaction to this was that I was hoping it was a sign and trade. 😆

Having him here doesn't necessarily kill you, but he's just been so unspectacular, even in a checking roll or whatever copium you want to inject about him. They could probably use that money to bring in someone better or even give another kid a chance next year. Yeah, we know what happened with Laf this year, but that comparison is apples and oranges to me.

8 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

Its all over the ticker tape on all sports networks, so it must be a good deal

Pretty much a "Wow, can you believe this?" Hockey news moment.

I wish I could get paid 2.4 million per year based on my reputation and not what I've done to earn it in recent past. Wow. That's a lot of $$ for adding nothing more than Jonny Brodzinski brings to the table.

3 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Pretty much a "Wow, can you believe this?" Hockey news moment.

I wish I could get paid 2.4 million per year based on my reputation and not what I've done to earn it in recent past. Wow. That's a lot of $$ for adding nothing more than Jonny Brodzinski brings to the table.

You do realize that 2.4 million is exactly market value for his current offensive production, right? In fact, if he puts up another 40-point season like he did last year, he's underpaid by about half...

• Keeps it 100 1

22 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

My first reaction to this was that I was hoping it was a sign and trade. 😆

Having him here doesn't necessarily kill you, but he's just been so unspectacular, even in a checking roll or whatever copium you want to inject about him. They could probably use that money to bring in someone better or even give another kid a chance next year. Yeah, we know what happened with Laf this year, but that comparison is apples and oranges to me.

Yeah, they have to trade him if they are trying to run it back. He’s simply not what they need if they want to improve their chances.

23 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah, they have to trade him if they are trying to run it back. He’s simply not what they need if they want to improve their chances.

If they're going to run it back they need to get somebody like Mathieu Joseph for him to have a real chance.

14 minutes ago, Br4d said:

If they're going to run it back they need to get somebody like Mathieu Joseph for him to have a real chance.

To play on what line?

I don't have anything against Joseph, I think I even mentioned his name at the deadline. I think Drury is kind of in a spot where he has to invest every available penny they free up to get a top 6 RW who can do some heavy lifting and possibly get more out of Zibanejad.

Edited by BrooksBurner

15 hours ago, Phil said:

This is only true of guys on ELCs. It's not true of all available options, which are now limited because his $2.4 million is now $2.4 million less they have to spend on a player they might have been able to sign to replace him.

I'd rather have given Dakota Joshua $4 million a year to ride shotgun to 20-93 and back filled with an ELC third-line RW than given Kakko $2.4 million to be their third-line RW while the team's top RW void yawns wider.

I would be terrified of giving Dakota Joshua $4 million for anything more than a 1 year deal based on his body of work. He could simply just be a late bloomer; or.....he is someone who benefitted by getting 2nd line LW minutes on a high powered scoring Canucks team last season. His only NHL season where he has had more than 11 goals.

To put this into context, the 3rd line LW was Phil DiGiuseppe on that team. While it's entirely possible that he would click with Zibanajad & Krieder, this scenario is much more likely a watered down version of Jack Roslovic 2.0.     

6 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

I would be terrified of giving Dakota Joshua $4 million for anything more than a 1 year deal based on his body of work. He could simply just be a late bloomer; or.....he is someone who benefitted by getting 2nd line LW minutes on a high powered scoring Canucks team last season. His only NHL season where he has had more than 11 goals.

To put this into context, the 3rd line LW was Phil DiGiuseppe on that team. While it's entirely possible that he would click with Zibanajad & Krieder, this scenario is much more likely a watered down version of Jack Roslovic 2.0.     

It's more the attitude he brings than the production.

But the idea of a cap team overpaying for "attitude" is insane.