• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-sign Kaapo Kakko to 1-year/$2.4m Extension

7 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Does anyone think a team in need of reaching the cap floor would take a chance on Chytil?

I personally don’t. 

Don't need a cap floor team to want him. I don't think he's a negative value player. He came back and played in tough, physical, competitive playoff hockey games. Numerous players have sustained several concussions and still went on to have long careers. We have one of them in Zibanejad.

Teams take chances on centers because it's tough to find. See: PLD.

25 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Don't need a cap floor team to want him. I don't think he's a negative value player. He came back and played in tough, physical, competitive playoff hockey games. Numerous players have sustained several concussions and still went on to have long careers. We have one of them in Zibanejad.

Teams take chances on centers because it's tough to find. See: PLD.

Hovers at about 40+% on faceoffs. There's talent, but he has never been tough nor physical. The production simply isn't there. Seems like a good guy, but he's a passenger. He isn't changing anything. That's before the unending injuries. Frankly he is a "negative value". Had discussions here where Trevor Zegras, for example,  gets badmouthed for not being physical. But at least there is some production. Not the case with Chytil. 

• Bullseye 1

5 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Hovers at about 40+% on faceoffs. There's talent, but he has never been tough nor physical. The production simply isn't there. Seems like a good guy, but he's a passenger. He isn't changing anything. That's before the unending injuries. Frankly he is a "negative value". Had discussions here where Trevor Zegras, for example,  gets badmouthed for not being physical. But at least there is some production. Not the case with Chytil. 

Is there a reason you're so high on Zegras? Because the Ducks (who have all the reason in the world to want it to work) aren't high on him.

And I know all the stats, there's gotta be a better reason because they don't do it for me, personally. 

Edited by Pete

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

Is there a reason you're so high on Zegras? Because the Ducks (who have all the reason in the world to want it to work) aren't high on him.

And I know all the stats, there's gotta be a better reason because they don't do it for me, personally. 

Fun goals dude.. he scores some fun flashy goals!

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

Think he would raise the offensive talent level. And the fact the Ducks are not looking to give him a long contract means he might come cheap. Gets more than a bit infuriating when this team looks indifferent to trying to score or looks like they met at a bar on 31st Street all 1st period. "That was a pass Joe". But I'll readily grant you he plays small and if they Drury were inclined to empty the prospect bin for a young center, there would be better more physical options like Shane Pinto. 

Edited by Bugg

31 minutes ago, Bugg said:

I don't really agree with that description of him prior to his concussion this year. He had a good year last season, produced very well in his role. That's why he got the extension and that's why he was slotted in next to Panarin to open this season. The top 6 center ceiling was evident. I think some time has passed and some of have forgotten what he was turning into. Has the injury concern really taken away all of that value and turned him into a negative value cap hit? After seeing him in the playoffs, I don't think so. That's not to say I wouldn't entertain moving him. I would trade him in a deal for Zegras.

Edited by BrooksBurner

7 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don't really agree with that description of him prior to his concussion this year. He had a good year last season, produced very well in his role. That's why he got the extension and that's why he was slotted in next to Panarin to open this season. The top 6 center ceiling was evident. I think some time has passed and some of have forgotten what he was turning into. Has the injury concern really taken away all of that value and turned him into a negative value cap hit? After seeing him in the playoffs, I don't think so. That's not to say I wouldn't entertain moving him. I would trade him in a deal for Zegras.

Playoffs consisted of one almost goal highlight and....help me out here...yeah, whole lot of nothing. And it wasn't like there were moments he won big faceoffs. got in the face of Tkachuk or Bennett because he was being great defensively or a front net presence in front of Bob. Stats; 6 playoff games, averaged 12:55 minutes, -3, 8 SOG, 0 points, 28% on faceoffs. 

Edited by Bugg

13 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Gets more than a bit infuriating when this team looks indifferent to trying to score or looks like they met at a bar on 31st Street all 1st period. "That was a pass Joe".

Does Zegras change that? He profiles as a pass first playmaker.

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

Playoffs consisted of one almost goal highlight and....help me out here...yeah, whole lot of nothing. And it wasn't like there were moments he won big faceoffs. got in the face of Tkachuk or Bennett because he was being great defensively or a front net presence in front of Bob. 

If you were looking for strictly production from him in the playoffs, no, it wasn't there. I was more interested in him showing he could take a big hit and make plays, because that's what should be used as a gauge about his worth moving forward. I thought he showed both. I don't care at all about actual production in a 6 game sample size returning from being shelved, getting 10 minutes per, almost all of which was out of his natural position and tied to the Kreider-Zibanejad trainwreck or blackhole Wennberg.

11 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

If you were looking for strictly production from him in the playoffs, no, it wasn't there. I was more interested in him showing he could take a big hit and make plays, because that's what should be used as a gauge about his worth moving forward. I thought he showed both. I don't care at all about actual production in a 6 game sample size returning from being shelved, getting 10 minutes per, almost all of which was out of his natural position and tied to the Kreider-Zibanejad trainwreck or blackhole Wennberg.

Production; the problem. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Zegras is reputedly immature. And he’s an East Coast guy who doesn’t want to be in LA. 

You can’t deny that he’s dynamic and explosive offensively with game breaking speed and a lot of skill.

He’s not the type of player that we seem to need and that everyone is wanting, but this is a kid who just turned 23 with the ability and potential to be a premium scorer. 

5 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Zegras is reputedly immature. And he’s an East Coast guy who doesn’t want to be in LA. 

You can’t deny that he’s dynamic and explosive offensively with game breaking speed and a lot of skill.

He’s not the type of player that we seem to need and that everyone is wanting, but this is a kid who just turned 23 with the ability and potential to be a premium scorer. 

Exactly.

When you have the scant organizational pipeline depth at center like the Rangers, you take the promising and talented young center when he's available and figure the rest out after. He's a guy you'd hopefully have for 10-12 years, and that's what should drive the decision. Center is just one of those positions you don't pass up an opportunity to strike gold if it's there. You might strike out, that happens, but you have to take that chance.

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Exactly.

When you have the scant organizational pipeline depth at center like the Rangers, you take the promising and talented young center when he's available and figure the rest out after. He's a guy you'd hopefully have for 10-12 years, and that's what should drive the decision. Center is just one of those positions you don't pass up an opportunity to strike gold if it's there. You might strike out, that happens, but you have to take that chance.

Does he project long-term as a C? I know it’s his natural position, but he played mostly wing this year. And he’s not been good on faceoffs thus far, not that that’s unusual for a young C or he can’t improve but still his numbers there are pretty bad. 

As for his maturity/attitude issues, they aren’t a huge concern if you feel that he’ll grow up some and you’re bringing him into a strong locker room with a good culture.