• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Can the Rangers Win a Stanley Cup With Mika Zibanejad as Their Top Center?

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Barkov will turn 29 shortly and Mika just turned 31. It's not that big a difference. 

And I don't really know what that has to do with the conversation.

29 is primetime.  31 is a step over the hill.

21 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

It's what the stats say.

It's also what the eye test said, unless you had a pair of rose-colored glasses on.

I'm sure you believe anyone who doesn't see things the way you do has the rose colored glasses on.

Edited by Pete

Just now, Pete said:

I'm sure anyone who doesn't see things the way you do has the rose collared glasses on in your opinion. 

Because you see everything through a shroud of negativity. 

I’m sure that’s the way you see it 🤭

Just now, BrooksBurner said:

I’m sure that’s the way you see it 🤭

Good one. I'd ask if you thought that up all one your own, But like a lot of your best zingers, you're just copying me. 

• Believe 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

Yeah, that is another concern of mine. Mika is only going to get worse from here, not better. I still think he's got some good years left, but there are definitely more behind him than ahead of him.

Right. You can see the near future, and it spells "checking line center." There's still value in that, but how much, relative to an $8.5 million cap hit? It's similar to the Trouba issue. You can find positives in these players, but those positives don't add up to being remotely justified to what they cost against your cap.

53 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Run it back and tear it all down, especially Zibby.  

It's going to be much harder to tear down after next season.  There are some people who are likely to lose a substantial part of their future value by then because they're at the age where 2024-2025 is a big part of their remaining value.

4 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

yes but I’ve already shown my math sucks so who knows with me anymore

I guess for $11M you get the stanley cup and for $8.5M you get a whiffed one-timer on a PP. 

• LMFAO 1

6 minutes ago, Br4d said:

It's going to be much harder to tear down after next season.  There are some people who are likely to lose a substantial part of their future value by then because they're at the age where 2024-2025 is a big part of their remaining value.

But they must run it again. They came too close. You dont tear it down after having such a successful season. 

10 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

I guess for $11M you get the stanley cup and for $8.5M you get a whiffed one-timer on a PP. 

Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way.  They have bargains elsewhere that help them get over the top, it’s good front office and scouting. 

3 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

But they must run it again. They came too close. You dont tear it down after having such a successful season. 

I think they have more information these days with the advancement of stat tracking. You can discern better between legitimate runs and fortunate runs. This was a fortunate run like two years ago.

But also two years ago Florida won a President’s Trophy, made round 2, and still traded away a franchise player and a top 4 defenseman that summer. If they had the same mindset that they were close because of superficial results, they don’t make that deal even though it was Tkachuk.

• Applause 1

16 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

This could easily be the difference between being competitive in the next window and being hamstrung like we are in this one.

• Keeps it 100 1

16 minutes ago, Vodka Drunkenski said:

Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way.  They have bargains elsewhere that help them get over the top, it’s good front office and scouting. 

Pretty sure Barkov is twice the player Zibby is now. That’s what i meanr

17 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I think they have more information these days with the advancement of stat tracking. You can discern better between legitimate runs and fortunate runs. This was a fortunate run like two years ago.

But also two years ago Florida won a President’s Trophy, made round 2, and still traded away a franchise player and a top 4 defenseman that summer. If they had the same mindset that they were close because of superficial results, they don’t make that deal even though it was Tkachuk.

It was not as fortunate as you’re suggesting. The team won the Presidents trophy. The team was good. 

but it’s Tkachuk. I’d trade anyone on this team for him not named Laffreniere

11 minutes ago, Br4d said:

This could easily be the difference between being competitive in the next window and being hamstrung like we are in this one.

Next window may not come for another 10 years. Or 30