• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Keenan and 1994

Probably not.

Keenan and Smith couldn’t co-exist.

Thats what did them in to begin with.

Keenan had been HC and GM in Chicago.

He left there because in 92-93, the Blackhawks had a young assistant on their staff named Darryl Sutter. They were starting to get calls on Sutter. Teams were wanting to interview and hire him. Old Man “Dollar Bill” Wirtz didn’t want to lose him. So he forced Keenan out from behind the bench and into the GM role exclusively.

This was after Keenan had had tremendous success in 4 seasons in Chicago.

2 Division titles.

1 SC Final

1 President’s Trophy

plus another trip to the Western Conference finals 

Keenan was a control freak who wanted the final word on everything related to the hockey team. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Bigger problem was hiring Colin Campbell to replace him. Not saying I have a candidate in the summer of 1994 thatw as worlds better, only that Campbell sucked. Also trading Zubov, shortly thereafter,  unbelievably stupid. 

• Keeps it 100 1

2 hours ago, Bugg said:

Bigger problem was hiring Colin Campbell to replace him. Not saying I have a candidate in the summer of 1994 thatw as worlds better, only that Campbell sucked. Also trading Zubov, shortly thereafter,  unbelievably stupid. 

Yep.  They should have kept Zubov.  They probably should have given Nedved a full year after the lockout unless Smith had traded him for Gretzky or Nieuwendyk.

If you really wanna harken back… do this…

Imagine they got Lindros in 92?

Or…

Imagine they had traded for the #2 pick in 93 Draft to take Pronger.

They actually made those inroads and supposedly Brian Burke and Neil Smith had a deal Burke liked, but it included potential pieces that Smith didn’t want to move. 

Look at the roster in those days after those deals.

That’s a fun conversation 

Edited by RangersIn7

I look back to 92 thats where it all fell apart. That core should have won 2-3 Cups.. instead they traded all the youth for guys with little tread left on the tires. 

The Rangers often seem to acquire over-30's vets as solutions to open problems.  This better work year 1 because most of the time we're unhappy year 2.

Edit:  Messier of course was the exception to the rule.  Rangers won in his 3rd season after taking a big step back in his 2nd (Leetch injury.)

Edited by Br4d

On 6/15/2024 at 9:28 PM, RangersIn7 said:

If you really wanna harken back… do this…

Imagine they got Lindros in 92?

Or…

Imagine they had traded for the #2 pick in 93 Draft to take Pronger.

They actually made those inroads and supposedly Brian Burke and Neil Smith had a deal Burke liked, but it included potential pieces that Smith didn’t want to move. 

Look at the roster in those days after those deals.

That’s a fun conversation 

What were the Rangers offering in exchange for #2 in 1993?

On 6/16/2024 at 5:26 PM, Flynn said:

I look back to 92 thats where it all fell apart. That core should have won 2-3 Cups.. instead they traded all the youth for guys with little tread left on the tires. 

Factors that interfered with that possibility

1) The Messier Neilson feud

2) The Dilemma of keeping both Richter and Vanbiesbrouck. One of them had to go.

8 hours ago, Rangers1994 said:

Factors that interfered with that possibility

1) The Messier Neilson feud

2) The Dilemma of keeping both Richter and Vanbiesbrouck. One of them had to go.

All true- 

1) However win in 92  and perhaps the Messier-Rog feud loses its teeth- or at the very least you don't need to turn to Keenan to break a curse that's been broken already. Messier powerplay is fine, but it doesn't create the desperation we see in 94.

2) Win in 92 and you can move Beezer earlier- for a better return than Doug fucking Lidster

I just wonder what happens with Doug Weight, Tony Amonte.. Even though old- Mike Gartner (trading him for the corpse of Glenn Anderson still makes me shake my head)  had 92 worked. You don't need to trade for Larmer.. Its a much younger core. Falling apart like a 2 dollar lawn chair against Pitt.. Man- what if.    

Definitely kind of a miss-timed thing for the Rangers too. Great teams then, but unfortunately, so was Pittsburgh. If it wasn't for them, they probably win in 1992. They were pretty damn good in 1996 was well, before losing to Pittsburgh yet again.

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I hate how much we have to talk about 1994. This is a loser franchise. Fucking annoying

Please win a Cup before I die

It's the worst. It also didn't help with all of the 'parallels' that happened this year compared to what happened then. We had to hear about it even more. lol

• Keeps it 100 2

2 hours ago, Flynn said:

All true- 

1) However win in 92  and perhaps the Messier-Rog feud loses its teeth- or at the very least you don't need to turn to Keenan to break a curse that's been broken already. Messier powerplay is fine, but it doesn't create the desperation we see in 94.

2) Win in 92 and you can move Beezer earlier- for a better return than Doug fucking Lidster

I just wonder what happens with Doug Weight, Tony Amonte.. Even though old- Mike Gartner (trading him for the corpse of Glenn Anderson still makes me shake my head)  had 92 worked. You don't need to trade for Larmer.. Its a much younger core. Falling apart like a 2 dollar lawn chair against Pitt.. Man- what if.    

The 1992 floater Richter gave up; have never heard a crowd go from screaming their heads off to dead silent in one moment like that. Richter had a very good run between 1994 and the 1995 World Cup. But that's kind of it;  2-3 yeart span he was superior, and otherwise, above average. That's why I've never seen him as a HoFer. You can't give up a shit goal like that, just can't. Suspect had they kept Beezer, not much of a change. 

Rumored Messier hated Gartner because when they were teammates in the WHA, Gartner wasn't very nice to him when he was a rookie. Understanding is they may not be pals but they've patched things up. Didn't see Anderson as an upgrade, at all.

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

I hate how much we have to talk about 1994. This is a loser franchise. Fucking annoying

Please win a Cup before I die

M$G sells the 1994 nostalgia waaayyyy  too much. Reminding us all that they've not gotten the job done for 30 years since. That's MSG management. 

• Bullseye 1

10 minutes ago, Bugg said:

The 1992 floater Richter gave up; have never heard a crowd go from screaming their heads off to dead silent in one moment like that. Richter had a very good run between 1994 and the 1995 World Cup. But that's kind of it;  2-3 yeart span he was superior, and otherwise, above average. That's why I've never seen him as a HoFer. You can't give up a shit goal like that, just can't. Suspect had they kept Beezer, not much of a change. 

Rumored Messier hated Gartner because when they were teammates in the WHA, Gartner wasn't very nice to him when he was a rookie. Understanding is they may not be pals but they've patched things up. Didn't see Anderson as an upgrade, at all.

Richter was great in '97 as well. Fantastic in the postseason.

• Keeps it 100 1

33 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Richter was great in '97 as well. Fantastic in the postseason.

Yeah Richter was very good for them over a 4-5 s season stretch.

Then he had the knee injury and the concussions as the team was getting ready bad in front of him. 

• Keeps it 100 1

4 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Definitely kind of a miss-timed thing for the Rangers too. Great teams then, but unfortunately, so was Pittsburgh. If it wasn't for them, they probably win in 1992. They were pretty damn good in 1996 was well, before losing to Pittsburgh yet again.

Turning point of the series was Graves slash on Lemieux, Graves got a 5 game suspension and Lemieux miraculously healed by the next game.  Graves was made out to be the gooniest of goons.  Who the F gets suspended 5 games in the playoffs?  Same play happens now its a 2:00 penalty, if its even called at all. 

• Keeps it 100 1

9 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Turning point of the series was Graves slash on Lemieux, Graves got a 5 game suspension and Lemieux miraculously healed by the next game.  Graves was made out to be the gooniest of goons.  Who the F gets suspended 5 games in the playoffs?  Same play happens now its a 2:00 penalty, if its even called at all. 

what do you expect from the NHL and its darling Shittsburgh Penguins