• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Jake Guentzel Sweepstakes, Part II?

And when the clock strikes 12 noon ET on Canada Day, expect the Vancouver Canucks to make a strong play for pending free agent forward Jake Guentzel. They won’t be alone – as there are more than a handful of teams expected to be in the mix for the Stanley Cup winning winger. If the Toronto Maple Leafs trade Mitch Marner, they could be players, as well as the Florida Panthers if they are not re-signing Sam Reinhart. There will also be other teams such as the Washington Capitals or maybe even the New York Rangers, if they can find requisite cap space.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/vancouver-canucks-expected-to-make-strong-play-for-jake-guentzel-in-free-agency?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If the Rangers were to get Guentzel then you would have to figure they are trading Kreider or somehow trading Zibanejad.  

Guentzel is going to make a shit ton of money b/c he proved that he wasnt riding Crosby's coattails.  

3 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

If the Rangers were to get Guentzel then you would have to figure they are trading Kreider or somehow trading Zibanejad.  

Guentzel is going to make a shit ton of money b/c he proved that he wasnt riding Crosby's coattails.  

Assuming there's a Goodrow buyout the Rangers have 2 centers they can rely on this season and 1 is Zib... He's probably not going anywhere anytime soon without a center coming back. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Assuming there's a Goodrow buyout the Rangers have 2 centers they can rely on this season and 1 is Zib... He's probably not going anywhere anytime soon without a center coming back. 

But a big forward contract would have to be on the way out to fit Guentzel, only other option other than Kreider would be Zib.  

And I agree w/ you, I don't think Zib is going anywhere

Also, I dont think Guentzel comes here so its basically a moot point.  

• Bullseye 1

Only way we can squeeze Guentzel in is removing Trouba from the equation, which unfortunately seems unlikely.

I think Drury likes the player, and Guentzel would fit in very nicely here. That said, don’t foresee a scenario where it would work out with us being able to sign him.

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Does Carolina have cap issues, or other guys they need to re-sign first? I know they have quite a few hitting free agency. I thought he was a really good fit there.

They have tons of space.. but they also have a dunch of dudes RFA/UFA.. and their owner leans cheap. The RFA's are Drury, Jarvis, ad Necas- who will be traded. UFA's- Guentzel, Teravainen, Martinook, Nosen.. 

Carolina has a lot of work to do in regard to signing their own. Plus, word is they’d like to upgrade in goal. Guentzel fit in well there, and I imagine he would fit in well anywhere. Guess it could happen but seems like he will test the market.

Necas seems likely to move. I still think the obvious fit is dealing him to Boston for Ullmark, if they figure out what to do with Andersen.