• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Giants Legend Willie Mays Dies at 93

Willie Mays, the iconic Hall of Fame center fielder who is known as the greatest all-around baseball player of all time, died Tuesday, the San Francisco Giants announced. He was 93 years old.

Mays, nicknamed “The Say Hey Kid,” had a professional baseball career that spanned four decades, beginning with the Negro Leagues in the late 1940s and ending with the New York Mets in 1972. In between, he spent 21 years with the New York Giants, who would later move to San Francisco.

https://sports.yahoo.com/giants-legend-willie-mays-dies-at-93-005517007.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAKIoQj0QMYTAO17oNtrirY2GUBoQzMgM0j3rD2jKUqPB26t7Flon9SGjkbeIwUT9jQfq80Nuz3Z2bbCVGl33bUQlHgj559b4dg9H7BzEWPp3c8q6RC_a4I-aAY1hWOVx2fdyxrc9-AIvtP3_qB8qhhiZQTukznybQhOrCvsL8ASu

Edited by Abe Froman

He loved baseball.

I remember going to Shea for an Old-timers game in '76 or '77.  Willie was playing CF and sure enough somebody hit a dying quail out there between SS, 2B and CF.  Willie came out of nowhere to make a sliding basket catch.  Got one of the few genuine ovations I ever heard for that.

17 hours ago, Br4d said:

He loved baseball.

I remember going to Shea for an Old-timers game in '76 or '77.  Willie was playing CF and sure enough somebody hit a dying quail out there between SS, 2B and CF.  Willie came out of nowhere to make a sliding basket catch.  Got one of the few genuine ovations I ever heard for that.

Wow. That's a great memory to have.

• Like 1