• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Devils Acquire Jacob Markstrom from Flames for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st-Round Pick

• Phil changed the title to Devils Acquire Jacob Markstrom from Flames for Kevin Bahl, 2025 1st-Round Pick
39 minutes ago, siddious said:

Am I missing something? This seems like an awful deal for the flames

Eh not really IMO. Markstrom has been on the decline and now they free up a good chunk of salary for the next two seasons which can be used to help with re-tooling other obvious holes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott said:

Great deal for the Devils unfortunately.

I'm predicting right now that Markstrom will no longer be the clear #1 by the end of next season and goalie musical chairs will continue in Jersey, book it.

Markstrom hasn't been that good in 3 years. He's turning 35 mid year next season. Devils gave up a good cheap cost controlled 24 year old 2nd pairingish defenseman and a 1st round pick. I wouldn't have paid that.

• Keeps it 100 3

His career year was 21-22, not that long ago, but 35 is 35 and I expect that the Devils will get at most two good years out of him and maybe not even that.  A first that is likely to be in the 20s along with a fairly ho-hum youngster isn't a bad price for a guy who may put you back in the playoffs.

As a back up position, I'll look to Jack Hughes to get injured or have his head grow a little larger in order to keep the Devils out of the playoffs.

They are still bad in their own end.

2 kids and 4 to 5 of their D are offensive guys… to the Nth degree. 

Not worried.

Seriously….

Everyone talks about how the Rangers who’ve been that close to a Cup Finals 2x’s in 3 years are too small, too skilled, too soft…

Yet we shit our pants over this?

Stop talking out of both sides of your mouth. 

No pants shitting at all but....

Bahl was a big disappointment played like a guy 6 inches or more smaller and if the pick is protected this is a good move. When's the last time they has a real goalie for an entire season? I'll wait.  The ghost of Cory Schneider years ago?  They filled a gaping hole in their lineup.

Edited by Scott

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

They are still bad in their own end.

2 kids and 4 to 5 of their D are offensive guys… to the Nth degree. 

Not worried.

Seriously….

Everyone talks about how the Rangers who’ve been that close to a Cup Finals 2x’s in 3 years are too small, too skilled, too soft…

Yet we shit our pants over this?

Stop talking out of both sides of your mouth. 

5 minutes ago, Scott said:

No pants shitting at all but....

Bahl was a big disappointment played like a guy 6 inches or more smaller and if the pick is protected this is a good move. When's the last time they has a real goalie for an entire season? I'll wait.  The ghost of Cory Schneider years ago?  They filled a gaping hole in their lineup.

Feels adequate to say a goalie was at the top of their list, but the list still has like 5 significant things on it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pete said:

Feels adequate to say a goalie was at the top of their list, but the list still has like 5 significant things on it. 

Completely agree! but some saying this wasn't a good move for them is stretching it and probably wishful thinking. 

A good stop gap for them while they build around Giant Head Hughes. Arrogant for a small fella.

Regardless, this should help bridge the gap of where they have failed recently. Let's hope they still suck though.

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

That was a general comment, not poster-specific.

You too Scott.

He’s a big piece for them, no question. And it was a very good move. 

They still have big issues/questions elsewhere though.

• Like 1