• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

UFA Target: Jonathan Marchessault

It may not be enough for Jonathan Marchessault, either, but don’t be surprised if the Blueshirts show interest in the 2023 Conn Smythe winner. He's coming off a career-high 42 goals and is an established playoff difference-maker, having netted 13 goals in 22 playoff games on last year’s Stanley Cup run with Vegas.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2024/06/20/examining-ny-rangers-top-offseason-needs-and-nhl-free-agent-market/74154723007/

The article touches on a variety of players that could interest the Rangers. Most on the RW side of substance (Guentzel, Reinhart, Stamkos) are likely out of the Rangers price range. Marchessault may be too. But I’d expect the other 3 to come in higher than him.

The Rangers may need to swing another cap clearing move in order to bring in 1 of these guys.

Marchessault is a better version of Atkinson. Reminds me of Zuccarello in a lot of ways (not just the fact he's small). Major playoff creds. It's not a bad idea at all, but I have no idea what he projects to make. His expiring deal with Vegas was $5M AAV ($28M in earnings). He had 42 goals and 69 very nice points in 82 games for Vegas last season. Feels very $7-8 million per to me. Also feels very buyer beware. Huge spike in scoring right before free agency. He's never had more than 30 in any prior year.

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, Drew a Penalty said:

The answer is Arvidsson.

If the qusetion is "who could give us the most for the least with the highest risk profile," then yes.

• Phil changed the title to UFA Target: Jonathan Marchessault
Posted (edited)

I love Marchessault as a player. Huge regret knowing we had him and let him go. I wouldn’t be mad if we ended up being able to sign him. That said, I fear this contract may be a bit excessive given he is coming off 42 goals. I’m all about the win now aspect. But I don’t want a contract that may be biting us in the ass in like 4 years or so.

Edited by RichieNextel305

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:

Great let's get the dude that was originally in the Rangers organization but wasn't given a shot, and re-aquire him 13 years later.

Like Barclay Goodrow.

• Keeps it 100 1