• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

UFA Target: Chandler Stephenson

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/ny-rangers-free-agency-plan-may-not-be-expected/

Cerny posted up an article earlier today with a bunch of speculation that the Rangers might go with a versatile center and goes over a bunch of options.

Goodrow leaving leaves a hole in a bottom 6 C role. Chytil's unstable at best as an option. Center depth is a key issue for the Rangers at all system levels. Having a guy that can slot up and down, cause some matchup chaos, and play all forward roles/positions well is probably an advantage. 

Enter Chandler Stephenson. Stephenson's a 30-year-old 6' 209lb C, played key roles for Vegas in the past four years, scores around 40 ES points a year, wins a ton of faceoffs, kills penalties, is defensively responsible but has some pop, and has a dope fucking 'stache. He's probably slated to make 4.5-5.5-ish money over a five-year deal, give or take. He is versatile too - he can play wing, center, PP, PK - very Swiss army knife guy.

Sound familiar? It should, because this sounds to me like a bigger Trocheck slash more talented Goodrow. I'd suggest that's a damn good fit.

I mean, OK, but if you do this, who are you subtracting, because you have to move money out in order to fit another $5 million center. The reason I suggested Colton, who makes $4 million, was because you can offset by sending something to Colorado (I said Kakko). This type of move feels like the one you'd make after you trade Chytil for as little money back as possible?

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, OK, but if you do this, who are you subtracting, because you have to move money out in order to fit another $5 million center. The reason I suggested Colton, who makes $4 million, was because you can offset by sending something to Colorado (I said Kakko). This type of move feels like the one you'd make after you trade Chytil for as little money back as possible?

I also think he's getting 6+...

Just now, Pete said:

I also think he's getting 6+...

Same. Probably $6.5 million to be a de facto 1 or 2C for a team like Boston or whoever really needs help in the middle. Kinda like how the Rangers paid Trocheck. He feels like this year's Trocheck.

Personally, I don't really see a fit here. For the same reason I don't think Lindholm makes sense. The team already has two top centers (Zib and Trocheck), so unless you're replacing one of them, it makes no sense to dump this much money into signing another top-six center only to ask them to play on the third line.

Just now, Phil said:

Same. Probably $6.5 million to be a de facto 1 or 2C for a team like Boston or whoever really needs help in the middle. Kinda like how the Rangers paid Trocheck. He feels like this year's Trocheck.

Personally, I don't really see a fit here. For the same reason I don't think Lindholm makes sense. The team already has two top centers (Zib and Trocheck), so unless you're replacing one of them, it makes no sense to dump this much money into signing another top-six center only to ask them to play on the third line.

Chytil is a real blocker. It's like you're just waiting for him to get hurt so you can replace him, but you can't replace him until he gets hurt.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

He can surely get $6 million or better on the open market from someone.

They’d have to move money out to grab him. Pretty significant money at that.

And he’s going to want term enough to where you’re paying him to at least 34/35. 

This is his 1 shot at a that big payday. He’s already won 2 Cups. Gotta think he’s looking to find a spot he really likes for his wife and young family and cash in.

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Chytil is a real blocker. It's like you're just waiting for him to get hurt so you can replace him, but you can't replace him until he gets hurt.

This.

Listen, no one wishes anything bad on the kid. And it was courageous that he made it back for the playoffs.

I just don’t know how the Rangers can rely on him staying healthy. It’s a huge issue. 3C is a vital position. And it almost seems like a waiting for the other shoe to drop type of situation when it comes to Chytil and his health.

It’s a real touchy spot. Because I don’t see any team willing to take that risk for his cap hit. But if they were, I’d let them have at it and replace him out of house as soon as I could. It’s just such a huge risk for a team this close.

• Keeps it 100 2

3 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

This.

Listen, no one wishes anything bad on the kid. And it was courageous that he made it back for the playoffs.

I just don’t know how the Rangers can rely on him staying healthy. It’s a huge issue. 3C is a vital position. And it almost seems like a waiting for the other shoe to drop type of situation when it comes to Chytil and his health.

It’s a real touchy spot. Because I don’t see any team willing to take that risk for his cap hit. But if they were, I’d let them have at it and replace him out of house as soon as I could. It’s just such a huge risk for a team this close.

Oh, I don't think other teams are unwilling to take the risk, I think the problem is the Rangers won't get back the value they think he's worth because he's damaged goods. My bet is they'd want a first-round pick or first-equivalent and teams who can afford the injury risk aren't going to offer that. Because why would they if he's truly one hit away?

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Also, why is Cerny tagged in this @LindG1000 – is this from an article of his?

Oh yeah, lol, Sorry - he wrote a piece speculating around a bunch of centers. I thought it might be a separate thread, so I disassociated the article, but I'll just throw it in the main post.

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Oh, I don't think other teams are unwilling to take the risk, I think the problem is the Rangers won't get back the value they think he's worth because he's damaged goods. My bet is they'd want a first-round pick or first-equivalent and teams who can afford the injury risk aren't going to offer that. Because why would they if he's truly one hit away?

I’m sure the Rangers are looking for a number 1 or equivalent for Chytil.  I would attempt to trade him with Trouba to say Detroit for Compher and Petry.   Don’t think Detroit would do it though.  

10 minutes ago, Phil said:

If I can move him for a 3rd and clear out that cap space, I do it without thinking.

It may haunt you, it may not. But I’m very afraid with Chytil and these head injuries.

Should that ever happen, you can, in theory, turn around and give someone like Stephenson that money. 

The issue with moving Chytil out and replacing him with a 30 year old free agent is that you don't really have anyone who is that promising in the pipeline at center. You can't just abandon the future at such an important position.

I'm now ready for @Phil to tell me he doesn't give a shit about 2 years from now.

5 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

The issue with moving Chytil out and replacing him with a 30 year old free agent is that you don't really have anyone who is that promising in the pipeline at center. You can't just abandon the future at such an important position.

I'm now ready for @Phil to tell me he doesn't give a shit about 2 years from now.

That's what the Draft is for. 

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

They missed the boat already. Drafting one now and waiting 4-5 years for them to maybe pan out is not a good plan. They will need one sooner.

We've also spent a lot of draft picks supporting this window.  That hollows the roster out in a few years because even 2nd and 3rd round picks turn into NHL players fairly often.

52 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don't give a shit about two years from now. I don't even give a shit about one year from now. Win. Fuck the future.

• LMFAO 1

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't give a shit about two years from now. I don't even give a shit about one year from now. Win. Fuck the future.

Keep going! You don’t even care about one second from now. What a bad ass just living in the moment

• LMFAO 2

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

He can’t be promising if he is deemed to not be allowed to play. That is legitimately one hit away. Maybe less.

Anyones career can be a second away from ending. But we can all agree that this is a little more precarious.

I've seen the Chytil story play out too many times with too many other athletes. 

I would not be surprised if he didn't play next season at all. 

However it's my hope that he scores 25 goals and hits 60 points for us. 

I just don't really see that happening. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I've seen the Chytil story play out too many times with too many other athletes. 

I would not be surprised if he didn't play next season at all. 

However it's my hope that he scores 25 goals and hits 60 points for us. 

I just don't really see that happening. 

I’m not sold that Chytil would’ve ever been a 25 goal 60 point player, but I find it even more improbable now.  
Just like you said though, I hope it happens just like I hope like hell Kakko breaks out with a 20 goal 50 point season.  

• Bullseye 1

Fuck that.  I'll say what I bet most people are thinking but don't want to be "that guy" and actually say it.  I hope he decides, literally this weekend, that he doesn't think he can do it anymore.  Let him medically retire and the Rangers can have that cap space back to do what they see fit.  No more uncertainty.  No more walking on eggshells.  I don't wish him ill.  I just wish him to just be gone.  He is never going to be the player we all hoped he would be.

Edited by SaveByRichter35
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1

On 6/21/2024 at 1:49 PM, BrooksBurner said:

They missed the boat already. Drafting one now and waiting 4-5 years for them to maybe pan out is not a good plan. They will need one sooner.

They didn’t miss the boat so much as they suck at drafting